Note to New Members ×

Check your F2 tee nuts!!!

michael.a

@Michael_AEvidence supporting my impression that riding puts far more strain on the rear of our bindings than the front. When the base plate of my rear Bomber TD3 binding failed from metal fatigue, it failed at the heel end.

Really useful to know that we need to check, and where.

@michael.a
sorry linked the wrong Michael above.

• Thanks 1

For intec surely the heel takes most load as it takes all the side to side bending moment. The toe will only take vertical load.

For bails it will be more evenly distributed.

Cant & lift will put the bolts at an angle on F2s, which will unevenly load the t-nuts, so for sure check them if running lift/cant

Pricy t-nut btw

Edited by TimW
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FTA2R said:

this is the nut in teh boot, right?  Where am I missing the fracture in the pic?

This thread is about the tee nuts that mount the F2 heel and toe blocks to the bindings, but the tee nuts that hold the Intec heels on the boots can fail too.  Moisture trapped in the boots helps promote the failure.  Here are some failed tee nuts from boots:

Tee-Nut.jpg

• Like 1

Been replacing them just once in 10y. Only for safety reasons. Replaced them by stainless steel versions. I do ride around 10-15 days per season. F2 Race. NO intecs. SL-ish board sizes. EU Alps conditions - hardpack, mostly man-made snow everywhere.

My impression is that Intecs place a HUGE amount of force on the t-nuts. Whereas the regular Race version flexes a tad more. 

Edited by wulf

17 minutes ago, wulf said:

Been replacing them just once in 10y. Only for safety reasons. Replaced them by stainless steel versions. I do ride around 10-15 days per season. F2 Race. NO intecs. SL-ish board sizes. EU Alps conditions - hardpack, mostly man-made snow everywhere.

My impression is that Intecs place a HUGE amount of force on the t-nuts. Whereas the regular Race version flexes a tad more. 

Where did you get stainless steel version? Regular hardware store?

13 hours ago, MNSurfer said:

What are people getting for a lifespan, on the original T's? Of course it is all rider/mileage dependent, but just curious. 

These bindings were at least 10 years old and the toe/heel blocks were last inspected 5 years ago. Used about 10 days per season? 

I've had to replace two cracked t-nuts in my race-ti bindings (non-intec) over a span of 5 years, with 20 to 30 days of riding per season.  I ordered replacements (original F2 parts) from yyzcanuck, definitely don't wanna go the ebay route for these parts.  Maybe McMasters has something? 

• 1 year later...

I took my bindings off when packing to return home from Colorado on Sunday to find this on my rear foot heel bail. It seems to have suffered the same stress fracture but sheared off, and as I kept riding without knowing it, started pulling through.

I had assembled my bindings the previous Saturday night, putting the rubber cover over the binding, and not noticing this. So it happened within the week of riding.

I also ride standards, not Intecs.

I guess I need to check all my bindings yearly now as well and start ordering replacement T-Nuts.

image0.jpeg.38baacdb00fa4b633509782cc07a42c5.jpeg

image1.jpeg.d9c2066c1256c712239c63894f58b3b1.jpeg