Note to New Members ×

I'm Out!

crackaddict

On 1/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, barryj said:

Uh ..Crack you gotta stop smoking that crack!

Honestly I wish I could love a softie setup....but it just ain't so!                                          I would like to hear your softie setup that lured you to the Dark side??

Haha Barry! Damian Sanders brought me to the Darkside. Halfpipe in Hardboots! 

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2021 at 12:02 AM, crackaddict said:

I also put UPZ Flo liners (mondo 26.5) in my Driver X boots, and plastic tongues from Head Stratos Pro boots between the liner and the boot tongue.  Two plastic tongues actually in the front boot, and World Cup Booster Straps on both. 

Pretty much the same concept as my not so softboots 😄

• Haha 1

Three boards sold: 180 T3 Coiler, 180 T4 Coiler, 185 Coiler Mega Classic.  Gonna be some big smiles next weekend...

Remaining Boards:

178 T4 Coiler Nirvana Energy in excellent condition, 2018 but hardly ridden, one substantial but cosmetic ding in the nose, otherwise in near mint condition.  20cm waist, 12.5/13m dual sidecut.  $350

Thirst 9SW 195 asym goofy.  In excellent condition; some topsheet scuffing but the base and edges are perfect.  $700

Donek 164 Sabre SRT 12m sidecut, 31cm waist, p-tex topsheet, excellent condition.  Was $1000 USD new; this is not the cheaper Knapton Twin, this is a hard charging directional carver with Donek's secret race construction.  $500

Exegi DoubleWide 168 14m sidecut, 30cm waist, excellent condition.   Better carver, faster and stiffer than the Donek, also cheaper.  $400

Open to offers...  You can feel good knowing that the money you spend will go to a great cause: Jasey-Jay Snowboards.

Edited by crackaddict

I'm wondering why you need to go to 36/21 degrees on a 300mm wide board when your boots are 26.5?  And 17m radius on softboots sounds crazy long unless you're doing world cup BX.  You must have quads of titanal to carve that.  Heck, my new Kessler 180 is avg 15m.  I'd love to see some video of you carving this beast.

I must need new boots.  My Driver Xs are nowhere near as comfortable as my .951s while riding. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Hadn’t thought of that: the bigger the radius, the less width underfoot for a given waist width. 

That's right Neil, but that's only part of the story.  A board with a higher scr also needs more angulation for the same size turn as a smaller radius board, and more angulation means more boot out.  I was riding 12/27 flat on the Exegi last year but that didn't work at all for the Jasey-Jay (14m vs 17m scr, same 300mm waist).  It took most of December to figure out the necessary angles and lift, the boot modifications were also required because of the stiffness, and also not anticipated.

9 hours ago, Jack M said:

I'm wondering why you need to go to 36/21 degrees on a 300mm wide board when your boots are 26.5?  And 17m radius on softboots sounds crazy long unless you're doing world cup BX.  You must have quads of titanal to carve that.  Heck, my new Kessler 180 is avg 15m.  I'd love to see some video of you carving this beast.

As I've said elsewhere on the site, board width is not just about how big your feet are, it's also about how hard you carve.  I've never ridden a zero boot out soft setup; there's always a compromise.  It's true this board is quite an extreme design (the next one might be 15m scr).  The Exegi has a 14m scr and I wanted the JJA bigger and faster but 17m was maybe too much for such a short board.  I didn't anticipate the extra boot out, but the angles and lift are working for me now. - I'm rockin' it!

You have to remember too that a 17m scr on a 145cm effective edge does not equal a 17m scr on a 185 with 170 edge.  On the shorter board there's far less sidecut depth with the same radius.  Radius should increase as the boards get longer to maintain a consistent sidecut depth.  Sidecut depth is a better predictor of turn shape than sidecut radius.

So why high angles and lifts with average size feet on a mega wide board?  Because I was booting out with my old setup and I still do sometime with this new one too.  The JJA has very little sidecut depth and it's very stiff and so I need extreme angulation and high edge pressure to turn tight enough to keep my speed under control on steep terrain.  But that's exactly what I asked for.  I like to carve with a lot of power input and angulation; I wanted a board I could push into as hard as I like and this one has stretched my limits.  My carves are huge and fast, the turns just go on and on as I drag my elbows, thighs and butt all the way across the hill.  Very satisfying.  Boards with high sidecut depth or low scr just pop out of the turn when you push on them, this one won't come around unless I keep pushing hard and don't let up.  Love it!

And no, I don't have quads of titanal; what I do have are abs of steel!  My strong core allows me to maintain even edge pressure and absorb a lot of chop and chatter.  This is what separates me from most of the advanced carvers on this site.  My technique is also excellent and I ride very aggressively, but my core strength is the foundation of my powerful style.  I was a full time rock climber for ten years, sandstone cracks were my specialty (hence the moniker "crackaddict").  The training made my core and my upper body very strong, but moreover, success in that sport requires the ability to recruit a very high percentage of muscle fibers at once, this is known as "power".  So while my legs are not particularly strong, they are powerful for their size, especially when compared to riders who might have big strong quads from mountain biking for example, which is a much more endurance oriented sport.  I mention this partly to brag of course, but also because people should know that if they want ride stronger, they might want to work on their core strength and muscle recruitment/power - leg strength and endurance only get you halfway.

Also...  Boards for sale.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2021 at 3:32 PM, crackaddict said:

So...  I had an interesting experience today...

After waiting weeks for some decent corduroy, it finally stopped snowing for a few days in a row and so I mounted up one of my favorite alpine boards last night.  27 days out this season, this was only my third on hardboots.  After a half dozen awesome long steep laps on near perfect groom I decided to go home, change boots and carve softies instead.  The afternoon was a riot; I'm selling most of my alpine gear today.  I self-identify as a soft boot carver now; the boots are more comfortable and warmer, the stance is more natural and playful, and the turns are just more satisfying...  Don't judge me.

There are a lot of boards, some bindings and some boots going up for sale.  I'm not doing the photo shoot right now, but here's a preliminary list to pique your interest.  None of these boards have ever seen a base grind, the edges have always been filed by hand, so there's plenty of material left on all of them.

All prices in USD, buyer pays shipping.

Coiler Nirvana T4 178 2018: 13m average sidecut, 20cm waist, excellent condition, p-tex topsheet, not ridden much, one ding in the nose from where I hit a skier.  Suitable for a 175lb advanced recreational carver.  $350

Coiler Nirvana T4 180 2018: 15/16m sidecut, 20cm waist, very good condition, p-tex topsheet, ridden lots (50 days?), one ding in the nose from where I hit a skier (yes, a different skier).  Big brother to the other T4 Nirvana, suitable for a 190lb  advanced recreational carver.  $325

Coiler Nirvana T3 178 2016: 14/15m average sidecut, 20cm waist, well used but in good condition.  Suitable for a 175lb advanced recreational carver.  $275

Coiler Classic 185 T3 2014: 16m average sidecut, 20cm waist, probably the last classic Bruce made.  (I was a bit reluctant to jump on the Nirvana bandwagon at first).  Well ridden (100 days?) but in great condition considering.  Suitable for a 180lb  advanced recreational carver.  $225

Thirst 9SW 195: In excellent condition, some topsheet scuffing that could be covered by a stomp pad.  Vey stiff, suitable for a 200lb advanced recreational carver. RFF/Goofy only!  $800  More info here: 

Exegi Doublewide 168:  14m sidecut, 30cm waist, in excellent condition, suitable for a 185lb  advanced recreational carver.  More info and video here:  $500

Donek Sabre SRT 164: Knapton twin on steroids!  31cm waist, 12m sidecut, p-tex topsheet, excellent condition.  Suitable for a 165lb advanced recreational carver, or a 185lb intermediate carver with huge feet.  $600

Burton Race Plates: In excellent condition, later model year.  $120, comes with a few spare parts.

Head Stratos Pro 26.5: Decent condition, mounted with a poor-man's-BTS system (don't know what it's called, will post photos another day), some cuff modification.  No liners.  $125

More to follow, but this is the best stuff.  I would only consider trades for wide, stiff soft boot carving boards or riser plates.

The quoted weights are approximate.  "Advanced" means "almost expert", if that helps.  If you're a very confident rider you could be a lot lighter, I'm only 158lbs myself.   If you like them soft or you're a solid intermediate carver, you could be a lot heavier.

All these boards were made custom for me, I am the first and only owner and rider.  I'm open to offers but not lowball offers.  Major discounts available for local pickup in Revelstoke BC.

James

Pm sent

1 hour ago, crackaddict said:

Okay...   While helping a tourist figure out his Donek today, the opportunity presented itself and I got a few seconds of video.  Not my best turns of the day, and not the steepest runs in Revelstoke, but it's something to back up all my trash talk...

Set your volume at maximum for the full experience.

Awesome hardboot carving.... In Frankenstein  soft boots 😅

20 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Where are all the people on the trail? 

Not sure if this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but it makes me laugh...

No one shows up in the morning here unless there's fresh snow.  Milles and miles of perfect cord all to myself!  (Mind you, it snows almost every day.)  Today I rolled up at 8:45, fifteen minutes after the lifts opened and parked right next to the handicap spots.  I estimate that there were less than 150 people on the mountain at 10am.    Traffic is so light this season that sometimes when it doesn't snow I can't tell whether a run was groomed the previous night or the night before that!  And who cares anyway?  It's all smooth and it's all mine!!!

Not looking forward to the boomerang effect expected next winter when everybody and their dog is planning a vacation, but very grateful for the empty slopes right now.

It helps that Revelstoke is a small town of only 10,000 and very far from any major urban centers, and also that Canadians overall are taking the covid restrictions seriously and riding local. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2021 at 4:32 PM, crackaddict said:

the boots are more comfortable and warmer, the stance is more natural and playful, and the turns are just more satisfying...  Don't judge me.

I sooooo feel you. 

The last couple of times I rode I felt like I miss my softboots more and more. This week I spent some time on my "old" DO in Copper and was reminded at just how much better I ride softboots. I like the challenge of HB but my softboots are more comfortable and versatile. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, JRAZZ said:

I sooooo feel you. 

The last couple of times I rode I felt like I miss my softboots more and more. This week I spent some time on my "old" DO in Copper and was reminded at just how much better I ride softboots. I like the challenge of HB but my softboots are more comfortable and versatile. 

Must be wrong hardboots or liners then 😂🙈

3 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

I sooooo feel you. 

Same here

Multiple fractured ankled. Spondilytis etc

Felt more at home or no pain in SB. 

But I know you can get comfortable or even better having had HB 20 years+

• Like 2

I’ll have to admit that when I watch YouTube vids of guys laying down great carves (even Extreme Carves) in softies and 147 to 153 boards I sometimes tend to question my sanity for sticking to hard boots and alpine boards which restrict ME to groomers when those softies go ALL over the mt in ALL conditions.