Note to New Members ×

Coiler Contra Review, 2021

pcABQ

thank you for the write up.

I have similar experience.  First run on the contra AT (165 23cm waist 10m sc)
Didn't take it easy nor did i over estimate my ability.  Tote road of Sugarloaf.
"Headwall" of tote road feel great; hold a incredible edge where i was struggling on my familiar setup.
it's on the section where one just cruise around that i end up in the tree.
I do tend to put lots of pressure on the front of the board.  still wasn't quite sure how it happen.
on my heel when i was transition to toe; it pitch me (that's my guess).

I did change a whole bunch stuff at the same time(which is a big no no but hubris)... so going back to the basic next.
Get more miles on it before i get fancy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

coiler update, day 3.

first, mario:  bring it on.😎

bruce commented, "weighting is different," and that is the key.  i've been going back and forth with bruce, and these emails have been very helpful.

i was riding it like i do my nirvanas, initiating the turn by pushing on the tongue of my front foot.  that doesn't work (for me).  instead, i initiated the turn by putting the board on edge.  with the 11 sidecut, it moves into the turn easily.

the big difference is what happens next.  instead of keeping the pressure toward the front of the board - again, like on the nirvanas - i feel like my weight is now centered on the board, and even with a little more pressure on the back leg.  the board locks in very solid, which i assume what makes it ride well in variable conditions.  again, i was on a very smooth groom.

i need more time on the board, of course, but now i think i get it.

i hope all this verbiage helps.

• Haha 2

Okay, so I just put a couple mornings on one of these. It’s really good! 
I have some reduced mobility these days but the damn thing allows for it and gives me a massive amount grip and I can really adjust the turn size without laying into the nose all that much. Was slightly twitchy at first but once I got used to it really really easy to ride. 
basically has what I like about my Kessler SL but in a way less tiring package