Note to New Members ×

Losing backside hold on icy conditions

Eboot

Update: snuck out for 2 hours this morning hoping to consolidate on some of my recent gains.

Great first runs on what has become for me a well known slope, moved on to the next faster, icier run and ... felt like I had regressed back to the beginning of the season 😞

Serious backside board oscillation, loss of edge ...

Have been advised to go back to basics with individual drills and focus on just 1 element at a time.

hey ho, hey ho, it’s off to practice I go ...

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 8:04 PM, Beckmann AG said:

Brian, thanks for making the drive up to the mountain today. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Keep up the good work

Thank you for your time and patience Erik, your knowledge and ability to translate analysis into proposed solutions is awesome.  So much insight, help and support on this forum: any progress I am making is in large part to the people here who care enough to share.

Sugarloaf was eye opening!  My first 2 icy runs brought up all my fear demons … and this was not on a steep trail!  😞  Respect to all you hard charging riders of the steeps.

For those that may be interested, Erik (@Beckmann AG) offers an excellent service related to his footbed product.  

FYI that was me chasing you down Wiffle Tree for a few runs on Tuesday. I’m pretty much a novice but your turns looked great at the bottom of the run where I could see you from the lift.

I also couldn’t lay down any hard turns on the upper part of the hill. Too much speed and couldn’t trust my edge. Found it hard to see all the contours of the hill in the flat light too.

Best session for a long time. All my troubles seemed so far away.

could it have been:

• new Beckmann footbed
  • change to outward cant on front foot
  • locked heels
  • less forward aggression on backside initiation
  • initiating backside turn with front toes
  • lower in the knees and more angulation
  • Turning to look at my next turn
  • 8” of REAL snow and hero cord
  • first outing on the new Contra

or maybe all of the above?

Love the Contra!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So paraphrasing, good snow makes you look like you're a hero. Ice shows if you're a hero.

When it comes to the technique of feeling balanced over the carving edge/base strip on hard snow, smoothness and precision win over flailing arms and contorted bodies. Solid technique seems almost effortless and invisible to the observer.

Thanks,on reflection I always get useful insights from your writing. @Beckmann AG