Note to New Members ×

Losing backside hold on icy conditions

Eboot

@Beckmann AG has convinced me that there is value in sharing the 3 videos that @GeoffV took when we rode together.  Finally managed to put them up on youtube, listed below for your critical review (not sure why only 1 video is embedded as a video):

https://youtu.be/zw63MLnC5WY

https://youtu.be/6F8g-0w48lU

https://youtu.be/PYC361ymn4o

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Eboot said:

@Beckmann AG has convinced me that there is value in sharing the 3 videos that @GeoffV took when we rode together.  Finally managed to put them up on youtube, listed below for your critical review (not sure why only 1 video is embedded as a video):

https://youtu.be/zw63MLnC5WY

https://youtu.be/6F8g-0w48lU

https://youtu.be/PYC361ymn4o

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Nice riding! When i was first transitioning to hard-boots I had the very same issues. I wasn't angulating enough nor early enough in the turn on the steeper pitches. Once i got over those fears and committed to angulating more, edge hold increased ten-fold. This past weekend at love-land, on the first run off the main chair, spillway, which is fairly steep, it paid dividends for me to stay "short" during my turns and not stand-up. Short and stacked over the nose, if that makes sense. i still have a lot of work to do with my riding, but early angulation on steeps helps a lot. In fact, a lot of times i feel like i over angulate too early without first building enough speed on heel-side and end up slamming my butt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eboot said:

Looks great!  👍 

1st video:  you are comfortable, dynamic (weighting/unweighting)

2nd video: a bit steeper, nice front turn; Would you say that's your stronger side?
Seems like all the right movement are there and timing are just off a tiny bit(something i am working on as well.

3rd video:  looked like you got things figured out.  Nice!

• Like 2

Nice vids! You're definitely bending the board more on toeside - those turns are great. Heelside it looks to me like in the first two videos you're banking your whole body which at low speeds like these doesn't put much pressure on the edge, so on steeper terrain or especially on ice you're going to slide out for sure... In the third video your upper body remains almost vertical on the first turn while you angulate from your hips and the turns are much more solid. the last turn is a slarve, though - you can see where you lose edge pressure and the track goes from pencil-thin to wide.

You could try the skiing drill where you hold a pole out horizontally in front of you, perpendicular to your body, and keep it horizontal as you go through the turn. Alternatively try reaching for your outside edge with your outside hand.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Early season ice has been replaced by user-friendly packed powder, but the basic principles still apply.

I am so much stronger in these conditions that it raises a question for me:

• Am I more confident knowing that the edge will hold (yes)
  • is the speed in these conditions naturally slower on the same terrain (probably yes)

Maybe a combination of both, still exploring

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, Eboot said:

I am so much stronger in these conditions that it raises a question for me:

• Am I more confident knowing that the edge will hold (yes)
  • is the speed in these conditions naturally slower on the same terrain (probably yes)

Maybe a combination of both, still exploring

There are certain snow conditions that will allow a rider to do things on more challenging terrain that simply aren't possible otherwise. Usually softer snow, like the wonderful packed powder we've had this last week, and particularly snow that has softened/melted but not yet become loose granular. The increase in platform penetration, and the slower glide rate combine to alleviate much of the hesitancy that conspires to block the learning of new and more effective movement combinations.

The tricky thing is to figure out how the new, effective-on-soft-snow movements can be utilized on hard snow, or if they will only work in that one specific context.

https://beckman.fit/2021/02/15/truth-in-ice-fore-aft-pressure/

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 3

Icy or not, a suggestion.  Four simple words.  A mantra, if you will.  "Steer with your dick." 

Try keeping your hips aligned slightly ahead of your toes on both toe and heel side turns.  Don't let it cross back over your binding angles until you are ready to be done with that turn and are starting to transition to the next.

Stand on the floor in your boarding stance.  Now rotate your hips left and right.  Notice what happens to your rear foot; how it rolls from one side to the other.  Notice which position will twist the tail higher on edge and which will twist it lower.  When you're trying to finish a heel side across the hill, don't do the one that lowers the tilt.

Consider riding a motorcycle or bicycle.  If you want to lean the bike to the left, you counter steer the wheels out from under you to the right and vice versa.  If you don't want the turn to stand you up right away, you have to keep giving counter steering input until you are done with the turn.

Same with a board that is trying to turn itself underneath you.  Think of your hips as the chassis and your feet as the wheels.  Once your hips are rotated to the wrong side of your toes, your body is positioned for the transition, not to stay in the turn.

Start sorting things from the ground up.  Bindings, hips, then shoulders/arms.  Your legs are connected to you hips, not your shoulders.  Use the above mantra to help with heel side body position, which will help in any conditions, including icy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnasmo said:

Start sorting things from the ground up.  Bindings, hips, then shoulders/arms.  Your legs are connected to you hips, not your shoulders.  Use the above mantra to help with heel side body position, which will help in any conditions, including icy.

Think cork-screw! :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 1:28 AM, johnasmo said:

a suggestion.  Four simple words.  A mantra, if you will.  "Steer with your dick."

Strange advice at first read but, unlike every other time if have done this in my life, brought positive results in the implementation 🙂

Update:

Incorporating much of the advice from this thread, direct input from @Beckmann AG, @GeoffV and @Eric Brammer aka PSR and practice on varying slopes and conditions, backside is definitely improving. What I initially thought was fear as the slope increased appears now to be a mental block that I am working through, looking back across the slope and “anatomical” steering making a big difference.  I ended a great session at Mt Snow today feeling like there is progress.

Below is a pic from one of my early runs that clearly shows some of what I have been trying to overcome although this is seriously pronounced!

A15DAFE5-8862-4EA5-82E2-383FAA4B3E06.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Eboot said:

Below is a pic from one of my early runs that clearly shows some of what I have been trying to overcome although this is seriously pronounced!

A15DAFE5-8862-4EA5-82E2-383FAA4B3E06.jpeg

Potentially useless internet advice from someone who spends a little too much time looking at their own tracks for clues: 

That looks like the nose is trying to turn tighter than the rest of the board, but it looses grip and slips back, repeatedly. Early carve looks solid. I would guess you're keeping too much pressure towards the nose. Start the turn like you are, then feed the board forward through the turn. 

The mental analogy that clicked for me was imagining feeding the nose of board under a table or something. Slide it forward with your feet while your center of mass stays stationary. 

This is not a sudden or violent move, but weight starting a bit forward as you tip the board and get the edge to bite, then by the end of the turn (when you're about to change edges) your weight is towards the rear of the board. A smooth motion through the whole turn as you come around. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Start the turn like you are, then feed the board forward through the turn. 

This recent video shows this motion fairly well: 

Note the weight towards the rear at the end of every turn. 

BTW, this advice may be horrible on a Thirst/Contra sidecut. Need others to chime in if riding those as I have very limited experience. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corey said:

This recent video shows this motion fairly well: 

Note the weight towards the rear at the end of every turn.

Thanx Corey that is very helpful!  I have been observing this in multiple videos to the point where i considered querying whether this was good practice.  I remember a thread where somebody commented on the back hand flick in a particular video as well.

19 minutes ago, Eboot said:

the back hand flick

Ignore that. Hands can be useful to cue body positions, but the pressure/rotation your feet are applying to the board, and where your center of mass is are all that matter. 

If you can balance all the above, you can have a very quiet upper body. Some contortions may be needed to preserve the board loading when stuff is going wrong. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Aracan said:

If you weigh the tail of a Contra towards the end of a backside turn, it may become difficult to change edges.

Ditto on my Thirst SF162......you'll probably survive the turn if just cruising, but if your hard charging a turn and finish it in the backseat it will put you on your ass!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was riding my Thirst SC in 4" of powder on my first run and I was leaning back with a surfy style. It didn't like that at all. Just about sent me in the trees. I gathered my thoughts and started riding centered again. Rode great after that. I didn't bother to go to the car for my powder board. Thirst likes powder!

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 2:53 PM, Corey said:

Ignore that. Hands can be useful to cue body positions, but the pressure/rotation your feet are applying to the board, and where your center of mass is are all that matter. 

If you can balance all the above, you can have a very quiet upper body. Some contortions may be needed to preserve the board loading when stuff is going wrong. 

That’s a great point. 
The outside hand moving forward for many goes along with pressure staying up front, or shifting up front, when ideally pressure shifts rearward, either from your mass moving back, the board moving forward under you, or both. 
For me, while I know that as I move to a heelside turn that I’m going to be a bit more centred over my front foot during a moderate carved turn, when I set the heel edge, I try to feel pressure on the heel of my back foot first, before making the move to the fall line. This has the effect of keeping me from standing up too tall, waving my back hand high in the air and moving to the fall line by inclining. 
As said earlier, front foot weight bias, inclining and being high handed with the trailing / outside arm is fine when conditions are mint, but won’t work on very hard snow or ice. 

• Like 1