Note to New Members ×

Best NE mountain under Epic Pass?

michael.a

I'm heading up to Okemo for MLK weekend and will be planning another trip in late Feb. We were set on Stowe but I'm also on the hunt for something more lowkey. Not looking for any nightlife or food/drink scene obviously, just some good carving runs, dependable snow, and decent lifts. Any suggestions to those who've ridden Mt. Sunapee, Attitash, etc? Or just stick to Okemo and Stowe?

Check on Vermont COVID travel restrictions which right now require a quarantine. Okemo and Stowe are terrific of course, but Mt Snow is great carving hill on weekdays (only!) unless the limited use during the pandemic makes the weekends ok too. Tons of wide, rolling cruisers all over the hill, including one which is a hundred yards wide. Sunapee has improved their conditioning recently and is now on a par with other mountains. 

• Like 1

stay clear of attitash. continuing terrain and lift issues, crowding, etc. sunapee and crotched still trying to get half the trails open. tough year all around so far. sunapee can be worth a day or two, but not a whole week late february. for the drive and no problem w/ quarantine, go to VT if you can get lodging. have yet to get to okemo but hear it's good. good luck to anyone anywhere on MLK weekend.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mt snow hands down. But only during weekdays. On weekends it's 30 minutes + wait 

On 1/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, lonbordin said:

I've been to all... I'd say Snow is the best carving mountain. That said the crowds might drive one to go to Okemo.

You mean SlowKemo?

On 1/5/2021 at 3:33 PM, Jonny said:

Check on Vermont COVID travel restrictions which right now require a quarantine. Okemo and Stowe are terrific of course, but Mt Snow is great carving hill on weekdays (only!) unless the limited use during the pandemic makes the weekends ok too. Tons of wide, rolling cruisers all over the hill, including one which is a hundred yards wide. Sunapee has improved their conditioning recently and is now on a par with other mountains. 

Zero limits. I got no clue what they are talking about. It's a zoo on weekend. I got a week day pass and went on MLK day (forgot it was a holiday) - and had 30+ minute wait time 1 hour after mountain opened. Left after waiting once. Not worth it. Wait on Northside was a little better but those lifts are painfully slow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tddragon said:

Mt snow hands down. But only during weekdays. On weekends it's 30 minutes + wait 

You mean SlowKemo?

Zero limits. I got no clue what they are talking about. It's a zoo on weekend. I got a week day pass and went on MLK day (forgot it was a holiday) - and had 30+ minute wait time 1 hour after mountain opened. Left after waiting once. Not worth it. Wait on Northside was a little better but those lifts are painfully slow. 

Sounds awful - sorry if I steered you wrong... I often go over to the old Carinthia side which is less crowded and has two excellent carving runs and good trees too. The upper Sundance lift is slow and is often not running, but if you don't mind the long ride up it serves really marvelous rolling terrain - both Ridge Run and Sundance itself. I wouldn't dream of riding hardboots there on a weekend holiday - I'd just sprain my neck looking over my shoulder. If I am on that hill on a crowded day I'm on slalom skis only.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Sounds awful - sorry if I steered you wrong... I often go over to the old Carinthia side which is less crowded and has two excellent carving runs and good trees too. The upper Sundance lift is slow and is often not running, but if you don't mind the long ride up it serves really marvelous rolling terrain - both Ridge Run and Sundance itself. I wouldn't dream of riding hardboots there on a weekend holiday - I'd just sprain my neck looking over my shoulder. If I am on that hill on a crowded day I'm on slalom skis only.

Carinthia was insanely crowded as well 🙂 

You didn't steer me at all. I go there every week:)

17 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

You NE folk... "far"

Reminds me of a time when I lived in Providence, RI and I overhead two old ladies talking about, "all the way down in Cranston" like it was a days drive away...

smh

Hahaha. From Austria originally😄

To far to be home on time to help with dinner and put kids to bed 😂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the epic pass and was just up at Mt Snow on Saturday skiing w the kids.  I haven’t been there in like 10 years and was pleasantly surprised about the width and pitch of some of the trails.  It looks prime for carving.I will have to come back when I can make some turns.  The snow was very nice too.  As for the operations, it’s a bit of a shit show.  Parking is a free-for-all and folks were really pushing the boundaries of blocking each other in or pulling in 6-8 ft from their neighbor.  Lifties were not on the ball about blending families or face masks.  I’ve had them at other resorts bark at me and I’m fine w that.  I can only assume they are limiting skiers like at other Vail resorts but it didn’t look that way.  All in all, it’s a midweek destination.  
okemo can be similarly crowded but has some nice wide trails.  Weekday location as well. 
stowe is pretty tight w the exception of just a few wide groomers.  If you catch gondolier on the right day, you can lap that until your legs are jello.  

• Like 2