Note to New Members ×

Quality -vs- quantity

JohnE

I think it really is a matter of 1) what else someone has going on in general, and 2) how interested someone is in continuing to improve.   If #2 is a concern, go as much as you possibly can.  If it isn't, then I think it's perfectly valid to prefer quality, especially if your already "really good".  

I love boarding, and want to keep expanding my skills but I'm fine at this point with a slower pace of progression and so am trying to find a balance in terms of quality vs. quantity... But leaning more towards quality.  I put my time in and have nothing to prove.

I try and get up to the hill as often as possible (quantity), but then quit as soon as I start to get tired and begin to ride (even more) poorly (quality).  Don't want to ingrain bad habits brought on by fatigue: "practice doesn't make perfect, it only makes permanent"...

Quantity.  If I get 50 days a year, they will include your 10 awesome days and then some.  I'll be better prepared for those 10 days when they happen.  Even on mediocre days there are good runs or even just good turns to be had.  There are relatively few days on the mountain when I wish I had done something else.

Some days I will look up at the mountain in the morning, see some unappealing weather and think, ugh, well, let's see what happens, and then I have a great day.  Like yesterday - sore today!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:49 AM, Jack M said:

Some days I will look up at the mountain in the morning, see some unappealing weather and think, ugh, well, let's see what happens, and then I have a great day.  Like yesterday - sore today!!

Ditto!   "Won't Know If Ya Don't Go" is our family motto!   I'm 10 minutes from the hill and I gotta go at least 3 midweek days a week or I'm a big Grump! ....and with my new (to me) Donek AF plate on the K168  even the crappy  but not unusual "Oh My God it's  frozen boilerplate"  icecoast conditions are starting to look good to me! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, barryj said:

Ditto!   "Won't Know If Ya Don't Go" is our family motto!   I'm 10 minutes from the hill and I gotta go at least 3 midweek days a week or I'm a big Grump! ....and with my new (to me) Donek AF plate on the K168  even the crappy  but not unusual "Oh My God it's  frozen boilerplate"  icecoast conditions are starting to look good to me! 

This points out what some might think as a descent number of "days" each season might seem like barely enough to others. If I get in 15 days per season, I think that is pretty good. Some might love to get this many and others would feel robbed. 

Quality.
Dont try hit any more 100+ days per season, now decent slopes too far away. I rather try to get best i get of usual 50+ days, but this Covid is making even that hard call. But i must admit that i have not learned much last 10+ years, but have had tons of fun 😇

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 9:50 PM, Odd Job said:

Quantity!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow... I think I might have to agree...

I got a chance to ride some deep pristine pow in the BC lately. While the runs themselves were absolutely amazing I only got 2 in and was absolutely destroyed!  Contrast that to last week where I got 12 short runs on a messy groomed run. If I'm honest those were more fun for me.

I guess I'm just a quantity type girl.... (oh gawd that reads TERRIBLE! Just wait until @lordmetroland gets a chance to respond)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It depends what you mean. Before I'd got my own 10,000 hours I would go ride plastic in the rain every chance I had, because I knew that was the only way to get good at this. It really works, too - people I know whose attitude was more "quality" at that stage in their career... are still at that stage.

But if you spend a lot of time riding good snow, and if you've spare funds, then sooner or later you get to the point when you ask yourself if you also need to ride bad snow. You can see that in most people who live in resorts - the tourists are out every day, but the locals pick and choose. Or like my SLC mates, you take that first tram and maybe a couple more, but there's no need to fight for lines once it starts to get tracked.

But I don't take prisoners, so the answer to this dilemma is.... it's not a dilemma at all, you just need to take a large quality of high quality of snow 😉

• Like 2

Quantity.  Even on shitty days, it's not like there are lot of other things I'd rather be doing.  Between hardboots, softboots, and skis, there's always some way to make the most of it.  Except for freezing fog... rime ice... No footwear beats the rime ice.

I take both 10 great condition hero snow day and rider the rest of 30 days with what ever condition i get. if go out early get about 20 runs if good condition, if not cut it short or when the the crow start show up. dont like stand in line .

Edited by dragonrider