Note to New Members ×

Knee pain be gone! Carving bliss on ice :)

Tddragon

I ride On the ice coast. And have pretty sensitive knees. Used to have a lot of knee pain as a kid. And have pain now if I either don't work out enough or work out to much to fast etc. I got into snowboarding last season in softboots - and got into hardboots this season. 

Todays conditions at berkshire east were far from ideal after last week's rain storm melted all natural snow and mountain made a bunch of new snow to go on top of sheets of ice. Plus lots of folks so all chopped up. Rode my 167 virus phantom - great carving - having a blast - On second run started getting very very sharp pain in my front knee. Was super bummed - figured this would be the end to my day. Then remembered a few posts I read here about plates being knee friendly etc - and I had brought with me also a k168 with a Vist Snowplate that I recently purchased. Limping to my car (knee now was also hurting while walking) - I swapped boards and went back up (same binding angles, lifts, etc)  Wow! Not only did the knee pain go away - but I was riding faster and harder and more confident - and completed another 12 runs completely pain free. Would have done more but my 2 teenage boys that also came with me to snowboard needed my attention and we called it a day. 

Totally blown away and will most likely always ride a plate now unless it's a powder day 😀

Shout out to this amazing forum that I have been lurking on and reading as much as I could while waiting for this season and my hardboot journey to start. Thanks everyone 🙂

3B5F0C20-2EDD-4A30-B376-5719FDC83346.jpeg.cf201d2f3c52a92ca5425fdcd82a68e5.jpeg

Edited by Tddragon
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tddragon said:

got into hardboots this season

K168, Virus Phantom - Wow! pretty impressive quiver for your 1st hardboot season!  Congrats!!

K168 = 10   K168 + Plate = 11+++ 

Glad you found the bliss of knee saving plate on a rocket!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, barryj said:

K168 = 10   K168 + Plate = 11+++ 

13 hours ago, Tddragon said:

Wasn't a believer until I experienced it myself today 🙂 

I hear ya! - Ain't it bliss!  My K168 was 10 Wow!...but adding my Bomber V2 Boilerplate made the ride OMG!  11++++

My knees are So Thankful !!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, barryj said:

I hear ya! - Ain't it bliss!  My K168 was 10 Wow!...but adding my Bomber V2 Boilerplate made the ride OMG!  11++++

My knees are So Thankful !!!

Total bliss! Honestly I still don’t quite understand why it works Seems a little bit like witchcraft 🙂

what about your moss boards? Do you have any knee pain on them? Do you ever use a plate on them?

Edited by Tddragon

14 minutes ago, Tddragon said:

moss boards?

I save the Moss squadron for softer days, preferably pow....but not much of that on the ice coast compared to the 7 years I had in Tahoe!  

...but in saying that my typical all day quiver at the Mnt. is a Swoard Dual to warm up and find a non crowded haul ass run in ripe condition, then change to K168 Groomer destroyer until my legs or the groom is shot and  then finish out the day on the Moss.    The Moss boards are much more versatile and forgiving in mixed conditions (and on my knees!).....They love the pow but want to carve...all on the same run!  Very damp ride, no need for any plate.

Moss boards are much more surfy pump style of riding compared to hard charging (knee twisting) angulation.

Edited by barryj

1 minute ago, barryj said:

I save the Moss squadron for softer days, preferably pow....but not much of that on the ice coast compared to the 7 years I had in Tahoe!  

...but in saying that my typical all day quiver at the Mnt. is a Swoard Dual to warm up and find a non crowded haul ass run in ripe condition, then change to K168 Groomer destroyer until my legs or the groom is shot and  then finish out the day on the Moss.    The Moss boards are much more versatile and forgiving in mixed conditions (and on my knees!).....They love the pow but want to carve...all on the same run!  Very damp ride, no need for any plate.

Got it. Cool:) im picking up the big fish from Karen instead of getting a moss:)

45 minutes ago, barryj said:

Yeah I saw that sweet ride.....should be  surfy ride just like a Moss

Karen's the real deal - got my most recent Moss PQ60 From Russia with Love.  Enjoy!

can’t wait to experience that surfey ride, I hope it will do OK on the ice coast groomers 😅