Note to New Members ×

Heelside turn initiation....

Kurt Swanson

I'm sure this is a familiar topic. I'm having a hard time initiating heelside turns on steeper runs. I suspect the issue is fear of committing my inside edge at the beginning the turn, but am thinking it could be my body positioning on the board or how I have my bindings set-up. Binding angles are 65 degrees front, 50 degrees rear, 3 degree toe lift, 6 degree heel lift and 20 3/4" stance width centered on the board. I'm 5'10" and 155lbs. I'm going to bring my rear binding up to 60 degrees today to see if that makes any difference. Any suggestions?

Going to MCC @ Turner  will cure you . Getting lower helped me but dealing with all the mental inputs was tough to deal with. Getting comfortable was the main one. After the third day the runs weren't as intimidating. Not feeling like you were going to fall off the globe was a big help. It didn't look pretty but knowing i could get the tail around helped build confidence. Practice lower down the run so your not dealing with the fear factor. You have to put everything into practice faster on a steeper run that's where the 10,000 hour thing comes in to play. 

• Thanks 1

As mentioned photos or some video speaks volumes if you have any.

65/50 is a big splay imo and  would not work for me...... so I would expect turning your rear binding up to 60 will help with heelside  initiation and your angulation. 

I'd like to know what board and waist width?

@Tddragon
Check out the Playlists on the Riot Supercarver YouTube site for a wealth of other carving snowboard videos.

The stuff you learn, and the jumps in improvement you can make, are a major recommendation for going to events like the Montucky Clear Carve in February.

The new friends you'll make are the icing on the cake.

Now, we just need someone to get enthusiastic and shoot equivalent videos for the teaching sessions at MCC 2021. That way we can all get some benefit, even if we don't have the fun of being there in this crazy Covid world.

@dredman

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Now, we just need someone to get enthusiastic and shoot equivalent videos for the teaching sessions at MCC 2021. That way we can all get some benefit, even if we don't have the fun of being there in this crazy Covid world.

That is a fantastic idea!  I wish I would have spoke up and focused a bit more on projecting to the camera in the above video.  I didn't even think about it!  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dredman said:

@SunSurfer if you or anyone else in the carving community wants to take on filming, editing and producing videos of the carving clinics, please contact me.  

I'm in New Zealand and off all exciting sports till end July when my blood will be allowed to clot more normally after my heart attack & coronary artery stent in early October.

Someone else will have to do it this time! 👍🏂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, dredman said:

@SunSurfer if you or anyone else in the carving community wants to take on filming, editing and producing videos of the carving clinics, please contact me.  

I will be shooting as much of Gilmore’s sessions with X as I can. I will try to keep my mouth shut 🤐 and only occasionally cheer!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread from last year to report some progress and tips. First, I realized that if I pressed down hard on my front heel while starting my heelside turn, the edge would grab better. It sort of feels like a running back stiff-arming a defenseman out of the way. I was doing this on the green runs, but when it got a little steeper I was subconsciously chickening out and holding back. Second, remembering something I learned (and forgot) a while ago, was to push my knee into the direction of the turn. These two minor changes resulted in heel turns being a thin line instead of washing out at the beginning and then grabbing and carving. 

I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong by watching videos of me riding, but those mistakes were too subtle to notice....

• Like 4