Note to New Members ×

Setting up a new board with lifts in bindings

nick8228

17 hours ago, Tddragon said:

I had knee pain with 0/0. Had 3/3 now also with td3 bindings and upz boots - and feels great. Went with stance length that's based on measuring from floor to center of knee cap and that's been perfect. Tried shorter and longer and hated it 🙂

Oh also tried 45/45 binding angles and felt twisted during turn initiation. Changed to 60/55 and felt much better. 

Ymmv:)

Good advice! Lately I've been using a 55/55. Is there a difference if you pit the front at a higher angle?

7 minutes ago, nick8228 said:

Good advice! Lately I've been using a 55/55. Is there a difference if you pit the front at a higher angle?

I just feel a more natural relaxed forward facing stance at 60 in front. And 55 in back adds a little more stability. I tried 45/45 first and felt Like a pretzel. Then 60/60 felt not as stable as 60/55. Also played around with stance length and found 19" to be optimal (Which is also measurement from floor to middle of my kneecap 🤷‍♂️ Ymmv

Edited by Tddragon
Typos 🙈

1 hour ago, nick8228 said:

Lots of riders have setups with splay i.e. the 2 bindings at different angles, usually (not always) with the front higher than the rear.

Not everyone stands naturally with their feet parallel. Some people stand with their toes pointing inwards.

Your stationary stance on your snowboard should feel comfortable and well balanced, with your upper body roughly where it will be when you're riding. 

A slightly higher front foot angle makes it a little easier to rotate your upper body towards the front of the board. The + body position is used by lots of recreational carving snowboarders. Here the line of the shoulders is across the board.

A significant proportion of racers favour their body pointing more across the board. This - body position has the line of the shoulders more aligned with the length of the board.

Binding and boot setup vary from person to person, depending on their physique and riding style. One person's raw numbers actually mean very little without knowing a whole lot of other pieces of data.

• Like 2

So tried flat binding today on my new board instead of lifts and it felt so much better! Only thing was there was a ton of front leg burn, can anyone tell me if I put a 3/3 lift front and rear will help with this before I go ahead and buy one. Mind that I have upz boots with a 6 degree ramp on them.

-Nick

7 minutes ago, nick8228 said:

So tried flat binding today on my new board instead of lifts and it felt so much better! Only thing was there was a ton of front leg burn, can anyone tell me if I put a 3/3 lift front and rear will help with this before I go ahead and buy one. Mind that I have upz boots with a 6 degree ramp on them.

-Nick

You just have to experiment and see what works best for you. For example i like 3/3 but getting a 6 degree disk for front just to try it out. Played around with binding angles a bunch aswell before settling on 60/55. Also was told i dont need cant at 60/55 but still trying it out to see what feels best. 

all the advice is just a starting point for trial and error. Only you will know what works well for you:)

1 minute ago, Tddragon said:

You just have to experiment and see what works best for you. For example i like 3/3 but getting a 6 degree disk for front just to try it out. Played around with binding angles a bunch aswell before settling on 60/55. Also was told i dont need cant at 60/55 but still trying it out to see what feels best. 

all the advice is just a starting point for trial and error. Only you will know what works well for you:)

I first started on a 3/6 degree lift setup and found that to be too aggressive over the front taking a lot of weight off the tail of the board. Then I switched it around to a 6/3 setup which felt alot better especially having 60/55 angles coming from a 55/55 angle. The only problem with the 6/3 setup was that it felt like it put me a little more up right and made it feel like I had to push harder to get on my toes, basically made the board feel like it could only handle bigger turns. So now switching to flats today, I felt like I could evenly move my body around to get it to where I needed it so I could either be aggressive in shorter turns and a little more relaxed on bigger turns.

any advice/experience helps to figure out how to get rid of leg burn!

1 hour ago, nick8228 said:

-Nick

I'd try to stick a 3° under the front toe, only. 

Both quads burning, or just front? 

If just front, try 3/0 as it sounds like it felt better in the rear. 

3 hours ago, Tddragon said:

You just have to experiment and see what works best for you.

This is bang on. Try stuff. If it's good, do more. 

• Like 1

Try as much of set up as you can: lifts, inward cant, outward cant. But make sure to change 1 variable at a time. It took me years to come to my set up as well. I must have weird leg shape because I am set and loves at lift & inward cant for both front and rear binding (toe lift and heel lift respectively). I am banging on my head why I didn’t try inward cant before! And listen to your body and see what hurts and/or awkward and deduce from there. GL!

Edited by yamifumi
  • Like 1