Note to New Members ×

Setting up a new board with lifts in bindings

nick8228

Hi all, coming from a smaller than normal board (153) with flat binding that I ran 57/57 on and now on a 162 kessler. I'm 5'9. did a 55/55 3 degree toe lift front and 6 degree heel lift on td2 bindings with normal centered set stance. I set it up today and thought It would feel better and took and run and felt that I was so far forward to the point where I normally get forward aggressive to make turns that I would have no control of tail of board. What can I do to improve this??

You can try shifting the bindings back a touch. Many folks find that with additional cant they end up widening the stance a touch.

If both the board and the binding set up are both new, try riding it flat so you are dealing with one variable at a time.

Bring a wrench to the hill. Try one adjustment at a time to see if it's a change you like, and maybe give it more that one run unless it has a drastic negative feel.

Edited by Mr.E

Start here http://beckmannag.com/hardboot-snowboarding/hardboot-binding-configuration

You'll probably want to acquire a 0 and another 3 degree canting disc for those TD2s.  They are the same on TD3 so you can buy them new or find some used on here. 

Welcome to the long road of binding set up.  Everyone's legs and ankles are unique so there is no basic setup that will work for all of us.  Beckman has devised a pretty solid method of getting you set up where you need to be in a step-wise fashion.

• Like 1

I'm assuming you didn't change the position of your boot cuffs with the new binding setup. If you did and didn't mention it, reduce the forward lean on your front boot cuff to help you get your centre of mass between the bindings.

Edited by SunSurfer

Great advice above! Definitely try swapping the 6 & 3 cants first. UPZ boots have a steep ramp; even with a 6-degree toe lift your heels are still higher than your toes. 

Spend time carpet surfing. It's not the final say but if you can't stand comfortably for 5 minutes in your living room, it won't get better on the hill. Pay attention to pressure on your calves/shin - adjust away from pressure. i.e. Pressure on your calf? Decrease forward lean. Pressure on the left side of your leg? Tilt to the left through the boot cuff or by changing the cant angle. Listen to your body. Look at the red/irritated spots on your legs and feet as soon as you take your boots off if it's not obvious. 

I'm a freak that likes 6 & 6 toe/heel lifts with UPZ boots. Some people will tell you that you need the bindings flat. Take all the suggestions and experiment to find what works for you. I played with my bindings for years before I zeroed in on my current setup. Big changes at first, then subtle refinements.  

Have fun out there! 

• Like 1

Try everything you have time for/can afford.  You will often receive good guidance on here, but you will rarely find a cut and dry answer that will fir your needs perfectly.  Carving gear is so stiff and human anatomy varies a lot so its really going to come down to trial and error. Like others said, be mindful of your boot cuffs.  UPZs also have a cuff canting feature at the cuff pivot points as well as the forward lean adjuster. 

Like Corey, it took me years to get my setup completely dialed in.  Now its so perfect its not even something I have to think about anymore.

8 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

6 Degrees of heel lift is A LOT generally for UPZ due to the higher internal ramp the boots have.  I would start by trading the 3 degree disc to the rear and the 6 degree to the front, only lift no cant.  If that doesn't work then maybe try to track down other cant discs.

I'd also try this with UPZs. And carpet carving thing. 

9 hours ago, nick8228 said:

I have upz boots with spring system

Are the UPZ boots new to you as well, or did you ride the old board with them?

If new, then the relatively steep slope of the UPZ footbed would explain much of your original problem.

The spring system adjusts the fore and back flex when riding. The starting position of the cuff can also be varied and locked in one of 3 or 4 positions. Getting your front lower leg more upright will add to the effect of any front toe lift from the binding.

If the boots are new to you, going through the process of adjusting your cuff canting, that is the side to side slope will be worthwhile. Look on YouTube, the process is essentially the same as for a ski boot. Can't remember if Beckmann's guide to gear setup referenced above has a section on cuff cant adjustment.

Edited by SunSurfer

On 12/30/2020 at 7:38 AM, nick8228 said:

Would you suggest a 3/3 toe heel lift rather?

UPZ boots have such a high heel that I would recommend putting your 6 degree disk under the front foot for toe lift, and 3 degree disk under the back foot for heel lift.  Personally I can't think of anyone I've ever met who tried toe and heel lift and went back to 0/0.  It's just awkward IMO.

• Like 1

I had knee pain with 0/0. Had 3/3 now also with td3 bindings and upz boots - and feels great. Went with stance length that's based on measuring from floor to center of knee cap and that's been perfect. Tried shorter and longer and hated it 🙂

Oh also tried 45/45 binding angles and felt twisted during turn initiation. Changed to 60/55 and felt much better. 

Ymmv:)

Edited by Tddragon