Note to New Members ×

Board recs (used or new) for lightweight

FTA2R

Looks like I need to move on from my Burton Speed 154 and my FP b/c finding step-ins will be a pain and even if I do, not sure I'll trust them.

Recs for (used or new) boards for something comparable to the Speed, which was turny / poppy and good for my local hill (overcrowded and small) ??  I have a Donek FC 163 but I prefer something shorter most of the time her in the Mid-atlantic. I'm a lightwight / intermediate rider. Not looking to spend a ton, but don't necessarily need the value option.

Also, the blood splatter design of the Speed will be hard to beat.

I think you might find that newer freecarve boards often have a little tighter side cut radius than the old Burtons, i.e., a little longer board can turn just as tight as the Burton.  I think there's a list of specs on the top sheet of the Burton Speed, behind the back binding.  If so, what are those specs, especially the sidecut radius?

An 8M SCR is about as tight as they get.  I don't have a specific recommendation for a board, but I'm also on a tiny hill making tight turns and really like my ~2018 Donek FC-Secret 167.  It has a variable SCR that ranges from 8.5 to 10.5.  

Looking at Donek's site, the specs for the shorter FCs run just as tight as your Burton: 

MODEL LENGTH SHOVEL SIDECUT TAIL SIDECUT

metalfc     157                  7.00                 9.00

metalfc     163                  7.50                 9.50

Metal or Donek's Sectret construction adds damping which improves edge hold on non-ideal snow.

6 hours ago, FTA2R said:

@Lurch Yes, I'm goofy. I'm not familiar with the Thirst brand - is it decent?

Thirst is soooo good, that I recently imported a Thirst Superconductor to New Zealand from the USA. I rate it in the same league as my Kessler 162 and my Coiler Nirvana Energy T4 174. Not that boards are the same, but each has superb edge hold, smile ability, and build quality. Read some of the Thirst board reviews in the Review section. Lots of Thirsty riders here!

Edited by SunSurfer

12 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

If you're about 170 lbs or less, look for a used "women's" race SL board. Typically about 157 or 156 with a narrower waist than the men's, about 19-19.5. 

I'm certainly lighter than that. The Kessler 156 SL boards are androgynous and work well. Their size recommendations seem correct. Clothoid sidecuts but tight turners. 

I have a Donek FC - although not sure precisely which one - those were pretty narrow and grippy from what I recall, so not really the same tool at all. Mine was from the time when narrow was in fashion, so my variant requires steep angles and can feel a bit "locked in" a carve. These are for "carver" people, not people who want to turn.

"Pop" is a different deal - there's a trade off to be made there with metal boards. I like pop, but I like metal better, but it may be worth trying different approaches to that.

4 hours ago, philw said:

The Kessler 156 SL boards are androgynous and work well. 

That's what I thought , until I turned one over :eek:

Of course you're right there, it's just the way they are commonly referred to by the racers who ride them and could be helpful to know when shopping for a used race board--look for ones with with the smaller waist (under 20cm) for smaller feet=smaller rider. There are many custom 162 Kesslers out there custom made for lighter (women or young) racers. If it has a waist less than 20 cm, it's probably for a smaller rider. 

20 hours ago, FTA2R said:

Looks like I need to move on from my Burton Speed 154 and my FP b/c finding step-ins will be a pain and even if I do, not sure I'll trust them.

Recs for (used or new) boards for something comparable to the Speed, which was turny / poppy and good for my local hill (overcrowded and small) ??  I have a Donek FC 163 but I prefer something shorter most of the time her in the Mid-atlantic. I'm a lightwight / intermediate rider. Not looking to spend a ton, but don't necessarily need the value option.

Also, the blood splatter design of the Speed will be hard to beat.

Regarding the OP and Shred's Thirst SF, you should contact Mark at Thirst to see if it might work. While Thirsts are great boards, that one might be better suited for a larger rider. Look at the stance width and weight it was made for.

Also look for used F2 slalom race boards in that 157 range.

Anything made in the past 15 yrs or so will be way better than what you've been riding.

I bought and sold a lot of used boards on this site and learned a lot about what I like and don't. Then you have a base of beneficial info if you decide to order a custom board. And you can get that blood spatter design👍

5 hours ago, Ohob said:

You might want to look at the Donek Talon if you have a tight budget. $485 for a brand spanky new board built just for you is a hard thing to pass up!

X has one. It’s been phenomenal. 

5 hours ago, Ohob said:

You might want to look at the Donek Talon if you have a tight budget. $485 for a brand spanky new board built just for you is a hard thing to pass up!

X has one. It’s been phenomenal. 

@Ohob

Yes, that's doable and I was reading about it. Any other thoughts you have on it?

Edited by FTA2R

The talon is a very friendly board. Single radius side cut, quite a bit of pop if you load the tail up. Has the huge benefit of Sean and company’s experience to make an inexpensive, very fun board. About the only downside is it does not like chopped up runs.  I’d suggest giving them a call to see if it’s a good fit for you. 

012C9AA2-98FE-4EDF-8E6C-E197CEAD3BF7.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FTA2R said:

@Ohob

Yes, that's doable and I was reading about it. Any other thoughts you have on it?

Sean conceived the idea for the Talon to entice up and coming racers. Just over $1k for a tailor made board, boots and bindings (take advantage of the discounts by bundling the three) is one hell of a deal for what you get. 

yes, you could spend less by buying used. The issue with that is your weight. I have the same problem, good used gear that will work for lighter riders is rare and in most instances, expensive.