Note to New Members ×

Clean Resort Carving and Joy

Saltcarver

Great video! However, not very great example of carving technique 🤪. Especially toe edge technique is so broken (inverse angulation, see notes below)... All videos from them are on "hero" snow, I doubt that they can successfully carve very hard packed or icy snow using such technique.

See the screenshot. Being so close to the ground, the board should be at 80deg+ with good angulation. With "reverse" angulation it is probably at 45deg.

Untitled.png

Edited by dgCarve

There are amazing videos of riders with great technique, who really can carve anything. Unfortunately most of the snowboarders only bombing down the hill 🤮, and do not know how to use edge, so I am not surprised that younger people do not care about technique 😢.

Edited by dgCarve

Not disagreeing, but along the lines of "If it's too loud, you're too old...", I'll go out on a limb and suggest "technique" was pretty far down on the Trello card when those young men produced that video.  That vid took my sore creaking 50yo body there and convinced it that it was 25 again...if only for 11 minutes. 👍

• Like 3

The bum in the air is a pretty much the snow surf carving style where there is little to no extenstion during the carve its put it up on edge and let board just run its side cut. part of the reason is these boards are often pretty soft powder shapes so dont take kindly to alot of force being put through them through out the turn, meaning there going to decamber massively and probably fairly unevenly if you try to do the down unweighted/cross under style that your a fan of.  basically the boards are dictate that style of riding.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

The bum in the air is a pretty much the snow surf carving style where there is little to no extenstion during the carve its put it up on edge and let board just run its side cut. part of the reason is these boards are often pretty soft powder shapes so dont take kindly to alot of force being put through them through out the turn, meaning there going to decamber massively and probably fairly unevenly if you try to do the down unweighted/cross under style that your a fan of.  basically the boards are dictate that style of riding.

Yep agree - not greatest boards for carving. Last time (first day of this season) I tried to carve my regular board, I put it too high on edge (as I used to put my alpine boards),  the board made 1m radius turn under me, but my body continue going into the same direction as before the turn LOL. The result was - nice show for spectators and a cracked rib 🤪🙃. This did not stopped me from riding though 🤣...

Edited by dgCarve
  • Haha 1

I really would love to see a mix of both the Rain Dogs and the Blue videos; hardbooters railing groom, slashing and riding pow - something that would get people thinking 'all mountain hb'. 

Edited by Lurch
Oh and if you could add Sigi's 'Ride with me' vid in too, that would be great....
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, dgCarve said:

Yep agree - not greatest boards for carving. Last time I tried to carve my regular board, I put it too high on edge (as I used to put my alpine boards),  the board made 1m radius turn under me, but my body continue going into the same direction as before the turn LOL. The result was - nice show for spectators and a cracked rib 🤪🙃.

Lol my undoing riding friends normal boards is usually forgoting im not on a board with 27+ waist which usually results in boot out best described as explosive🤣

As you requested lurch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I really would love to see a mix of both the Rain Dogs and the Blue videos; hardbooters railing groom, slashing and riding pow - something that would get people thinking 'all mountain hb'. 

I hate to say that, but the best all around snowboard is - ski 🤣.  And second thing I hate to say - it is not a joke...

For myself I found Contra with BX shape (wide, 167cm) is the most versatile board. But still can not compare with specialized powder board or race SL/GS board for groomers.

Edited by dgCarve

33 minutes ago, Lurch said:

That's the reason I bought a Full Carve 170.  To ride with/like Sigi.  Still trying, btw... 😐 

And still one of my favorite boards to ride... 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kneel said:

Not disagreeing, but along the lines of "If it's too loud, you're too old..."

The over/under on this one seems to be 50 years old. Right around the time colonoscopies go from something to laugh about to something to dread. Having crossed that boundary, it's a protective instinct to not offer one's posterior in such an inviting manner. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I was just watching a bunch of these "Yearning for turning" Korua vids last night. They're really fun, awesome riding. I love the way they play off all the terrain. Better music than most. 

Then I noticed it features the same rider, Nicholas Wolken, as a vid I posted a few days ago with splitboarding. More of a "PBS" version with exceptional cinematography, nice powder carving using AT boots and leaving behind some nice tracks.

If you want to skip the walking & talking part after the opening sequence, skip to 11:09 for more turns.

FUN      

OVER          

TECHNIQUE

I do not have the assituity nor the regimentation to be a good carver.  I have more fun expecting the unexpected and reacting accordingly.  Fun to be in the air.  This video was really well done and showing that there's all kinds of fun things to do on a board.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordmetroland said:

The over/under on this one seems to be 50 years old. Right around the time colonoscopies go from something to laugh about to something to dread. Having crossed that boundary, it's a protective instinct to not offer one's posterior in such an inviting manner. 

Terrifyingly onto something there. The covid has been my excuse thus far not to schedule such a frivolous procedure. Thinking of our healthcare workers of course...:eek:

1 hour ago, bumpyride said:

FUN      

OVER          

TECHNIQUE

That's fine... Therefore please specify that this is the most "Fun" video not the best "Carving" video. This is "Carving" forum, and some people here are too serious about this word here (I am talking about myself) 🤪🤣 

5 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

Only start to worry if you get offered propofol by your friendly co-rider of the lift while riding the Elk Camp chair at Snowmass. 😉😱

Edited by SunSurfer