Note to New Members ×

Sugarloaf 2020-2021

pow4ever

11 hours ago, Jack M said:

Don't worry @pow4ever, harsh truth means he likes you.

John is awesome.  He held the bar high for Alpine snowboard rider.  Just the kick in the pants I need 👍
It was snowing today and cold.  Feel much colder(wind) than yesterday.  Condition should be great tomorrow.

Took couple bad fall today but that usually meant i am progressing...
Get some more boots work done.  Drop off the Coilers to get Happy tuned.

Positive on footbed:  getting off chair lift, skating, just standing around is SO much easier now.

Riding wise:  it will take some adjustment but I can see in the long run this is the way.
Trying too many new things together.  new board + new footbed.
I am used to hammer the Rev, the Contra AT doesn't seems to like that (as it was mentioned a few time by various threads).

Working on getting the upper body to be quiet, commit but read the snow and adjust based on feedback.
Be more dynamic.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 4:02 PM, powdahbonz said:

Looking forward to riding Sunday. Jack, if Geoff can get them to me in Kittery by 12:30pm Saturday, I can bring them up to you.

Derek I shipped them out a week and was told 2 day delivery. We are way past that. Jack, yesterday it said delivery today. Just checked delayed for now, delivery tomorrow. I should have just driven them up to you.   Sorry if is taken so long to deliver some COVID Contras😜

On 12/22/2020 at 6:51 PM, GeoffV said:

Derek I shipped them out a week and was told 2 day delivery. We are way past that. Jack, yesterday it said delivery today. Just checked delayed for now, delivery tomorrow. I should have just driven them up to you.   Sorry if is taken so long to deliver some COVID Contras😜

Still no joy.

9 hours ago, trailertrash said:

Good time to be blacked out...

We are down to mid-November conditions.  And that's an insult to mid-November.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mthib17 said:

Heading up Saturday morning and ridding both days. Might be on softies Saturday. Sunday ill be on hard boots for sure. All black gear with a red, white and blue striped coiler. 

Consider switching that plan. Sunday is an early access day. You will have better grooming Saturday morning, possibly. 

Missed connection:

You were at Sugarloaf today wearing a Winterstick hoodie, Lange ski boots, and a 1993 Nitro goofy asym mounted regular. I was standing by the Comp Center watching in wonder as you glided by. Do I know you? Should I know you? I have so many questions...

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

Conditions have only gotten better.

is that even possible from a couple weeks ago? like a bad day in CO. i actually liked the boiler plate conditions i found at Crotched last week though. a little variation is nice. rip it up!

52 minutes ago, dhamann said:

is that even possible from a couple weeks ago?

A little snow now and then, a little sleet, cold temps, grooms up real nice.

16411203.jpg

1 hour ago, trailertrash said:

All the Joey's must be stuck on their Zoom calls

I see what you did there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trailertrash said:

Sharpen those edges for Tuesday.

6 hours ago, powdahbonz said:

Well Khanh..you definitely will have variety this week..

It's all good.

I chose to come to Sugarloaf this year for the challenging conditions and terrain to try to improve. I guess I'll get more than I asked for tomorrow...

Rode the 2" wet new snow today when the lifts finally started at 10:40am after the wind hold. Both Hay Burner and Kings Landing felt like there was frozen granular or firmer stuff beneath the snow. 

Should be very fast and very very firm tomorrow morning, if the lifts spin. It's supposed to be pretty windy and cold tomorrow.

Perfect conditions to ride and practice on today - Very Fast Hard Frozen granular you can dig into with commitment. Wogo did extremely well in these conditions today. Lapped Spillway for most of the morning, lower Gondola a few times, Sluice twice and then hit Upper Comp with tired legs twice. Snow on Upper Comp seemed to be best, although a bit chewed up by the time I got there. I may start there tomorrow if it's groomed.

Also was trying out new foot beds made by @Beckmann AG. I had custom foot beds made at a ski shop in Stratton at ECES in 2014. Didn't realize how much my foot still moved around until I rode Erik's today. Definitely much better support. At first it was as though I lost some feeling with the snow and board just with the swap of foot beds. But getting used to that feeling, apparently with the other foot beds the bottom of my feet were constantly moving to grip and were receiving a lot of feedback from board/snow in the process, while now they're fixed stably to the sole of the liner/boot. I also didn't get pains on my inner little ankle bone from my rear arch collapsing trying to pressure the board.

Glad to hear about the conditions @ktv, I was worried for you!  I had meetings, work, and chores to do all day.  I should be able to sneak out for a couple hours tomorrow morning, let's ride!  Comp Hill should be groomed tonight along with most trails you want to carve.

I love my Beckman footbeds.  I still remember when I got my first pair in 1998, feeling so planted on and connected with my board.  I wouldn't ride without them!

• 3 weeks later...