Note to New Members ×

Lonelyest sport on the planet

1xsculler

14 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

There are gold on them hills/(this thread is indeed gold).

I myself is also a niche carver -
When star align; i am decent but those day are far and few in between. 

"Everyone is faking it; some just hide it better than other"

‘We thought of life by analogy with a journey, a pilgrimage, which had a serious purpose at the end, and the thing was to get to that end, success or whatever it is, maybe heaven after you’re dead. But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing or to dance while the music was being played.’ -- Alan Watts

👍

On 12/4/2020 at 7:24 AM, dredman said:

Fun and progression factor is exponential when riding with other carvers/friends.  There is a reason why the LCI and other groups of carving friends all ride so confidently.  Emulate, discuss and giggle.  

From what I have seen, the lone wolves that come to a carving meet up and get to ride with new friends, attend clinics and talk shop all go home more confident riders.  

Sliding on snow is fun, even more fun with friends!  

I am looking forward to getting to ride with the LCI gang at MCC!!  See you soon!  Less than 2 months!

I absolutely love to come to MCC & NICE.  I even enjoyed OES when I was a complete newbie and got taken out!!:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Googling "Loneliest sport on the planet" points toward boxing, boxing is about as lonely as Pavarotti singing to 100,000 people, he actually absorbs the energy of the crowd, as do boxers.

Dog sledding the iditarod is far more lonely than alpine carving, as is long distance horse racing.

I prefer to ride alone, no collisions, and groups always sit around most of the time socializing. 

It's impossible to get rid of bad habits if your group has them and it's easy to copy good carvers, just look at any jack or GeoffV picture when on edge.

Edited by ursle

On 12/8/2020 at 12:51 PM, 1xsculler said:

re boring: I fully expect good, zero skid carving on groomers to become boring pretty quickly especially when you almost always have to do it by yourself BUT I am determined to learn that parlor trick before moving on..... I have no interest in getting better nor do I have any interest in learning to snowboard better but the well carved turn on an alpine board and hard boots will consume me until I can...

If I got to MCC and it was not grommers conducive to a budding carver I would consider it wasted time I should have spent banging my head against a wall at Crystal. Sounds pretty stupid, I know, but that’s where I am at. 

I have never gotten bored seeking perfect, zero skid carving...at least for me that just hasn't happened. No interest in getting better??? So puzzling. Even when in soft boots I am seeking movement patterns that will apply when carving in stiffer gear. I don't know how seeking one thing can come by excluding other elements of that perfect turn. To me it is no 'parlor' trick but a conceptual, textural and physical manifestation of a 3D interactive sculpture playing out at 25 to 35 mph...

Wasted time if it wasn't carve ( to your definition) conducive? Dude...probably shouldn't go. 

Depends on Why you are there? Carving with others means, Where do we want to go, where are you going, where are they going, where am I going, which lift do we want to take, where do we meet, where do we eat, where do we, were do we, they do we

I ride alone, so there is no distraction or direction, only what happens...

when people are following, you have to know and care where they are, when following others, you have to know and care where they are...

Is that better? No, simply a choice made by one individual

• Like 3