Note to New Members ×

Lonelyest sport on the planet

1xsculler

One of my biggest problems is that when the slope gets a little steep an a little narrow I have to skid to scrub speed. I have a hard time getting the board high on edge to make a tight enough turn to maybe head back up hill a little to slow down. 
wish you all were at Crystal..,totally a five-star bluebird day. 

2 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

nobody else at Crystal even cares at all.

Maybe this is your problem...it's their loss.

2 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I have a hard time getting the board high on edge to make a tight enough turn to maybe head back up hill a little to slow down.

Maybe you should watch this about a hundred times...

• Like 1

Riding with friends is fun but for me has always suited soft boots best.  When hardbooting I have a harder time capturing the mental focus I need to really ride effectively.

It may have been just us, but the group I grew up with took that mantra "there are no friends on powder day" to heart.  We all arrived at the mountain at the same time but over any powder day everybody wound up separating as skill sets and physical endurance factored in.  There was no mercy given and no waiting at the lift, but over beers at night there were plenty of (mostly true) stories being shared.

But like Corey said, be proud of you doing you. The freak that freaks alone, freaks twice as bright.

• Like 3

Fun and progression factor is exponential when riding with other carvers/friends.  There is a reason why the LCI and other groups of carving friends all ride so confidently.  Emulate, discuss and giggle.  

From what I have seen, the lone wolves that come to a carving meet up and get to ride with new friends, attend clinics and talk shop all go home more confident riders.  

Sliding on snow is fun, even more fun with friends!  

I am looking forward to getting to ride with the LCI gang at MCC!!  See you soon!  Less than 2 months!

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, dredman said:

From what I have seen, the lone wolves that come to a carving meet up and get to ride with new friends, attend clinics and talk shop all go home more confident riders.  

That was HUGE for me. My first session expanded what I thought was possible. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, slopestar said:

Hot lapping rainier express/lucky shot and early morning speed runs over on 9... so good

You hard boot carvin’? If you are I’d love to make a run with you some Monday, Tuesday or Friday. 
gotta go get a root canal now. 
I spend most of my time on Quicksilver. 

25 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

You hard boot carvin’? If you are I’d love to make a run with you some Monday, Tuesday or Friday. 
gotta go get a root canal now. 
I spend most of my time on Quicksilver. 

Softies these days. I lived and worked there from 90’-96’ quicksilver is chair 9

On 12/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, 1xsculler said:

MMC ought to be at Crystal... 5th bluebird day in a row and plenty of snow. Good carvers would go wild here. A new dump will be needed pretty soon!

Really it shouldn't. As much as I love Crystal for off-piste, it has mediocre carving terrain with subpar grooming. Mission Ridge is the best carving mountain in the WA Cascades.

MCC is less than an 8 hr drive away for you. If you're serious about getting better, you need to get there. No amount of forum advice will substitute. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jng said:

Really it shouldn't. As much as I love Crystal for off-piste, it has mediocre carving terrain with subpar grooming. Mission Ridge is the best carving mountain in the WA Cascades.

MCC is less than an 8 hr drive away for you. If you're serious about getting better, you need to get there. No amount of forum advice will substitute. 

I appreciate that and I know you are correct!

I am concerned about the steepness of the terrain at MMC for a budding carver. A little increase in pitch ads a whole lot of difficulty when you’re trying to hold a carve. 
I have many invalid excuses. 

You need MCC, there's ways down from the top that are easy blue all the way and a midway unload below the steeps; You'll progress more in 4 days than you have riding alone the last couple seasons.

DO IT

Your nemesis runs at Crystal will be easier when you get back

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kneel said:

I didn't progress nor learn a GD thing about carving at MCC 1.  In fact, I regressed to a knuckle-dragging pow rider... :freak3:

That’s not very encouraging!  Any decent snowboarder, even me, can ride powder, some a lot better than others, of course!

Why did you not learn a GD thing about carving?