Note to New Members ×

hard boot suggestions 2021

Chisolm W.

10 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Heel pain can be a problem with the conventional placement of the cables on the outside of the heel. Personal experience of swapping the heels so that the cable route is on the inside made my boots comfortable 

Removing the lower part of the cable housing also works for that. You can also replace the cable with dyneema rope, once did that as emergency repair and used it for years.

5 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Heel pain can be a problem with the conventional placement of the cables on the outside of the heel. Personal experience of swapping the heels so that the cable route is on the inside made my boots comfortable again.

I don’t have the boots in front of me now, but I seem to recall only one hole in the shell for the cable? So you can’t swap them like this? Unless you drill your own holes?

Can't remember now if the Head Stratos I originally did this with, or the UPZ RC 10 I now ride came with holes both sides or whether I drilled them. If drill, it's a simple mirror placement at the heel drilled through from the out side.

At least one other rider here had the same problem and has successfully used the same solution. Check for "heel pain" threads (heal in some spellings).

Edited by SunSurfer

13 hours ago, Jack M said:

One other point for non-step-ins... I once tried to downsize from 28 to 27 in Deeluxe, which are two different shell sizes.  It would have worked great and increased performance if not for the Intec cable causing intolerable pain in the sides of my heels.  Had to sell those boots and go back to 28s.

That’s definitely a case by case scenario. I run the 27 shell size with a 27.5 foot but my heel is pretty narrow. So with heat mouldable liners there’s room for the cable and I have never had any issues.

4 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

That’s definitely a case by case scenario. I run the 27 shell size with a 27.5 foot but my heel is pretty narrow. So with heat mouldable liners there’s room for the cable and I have never had any issues.

True.  My foot measures 28.4cm.  The 27 boot was definitely a race fit.  Even with molded liners the cable was a dealbreaker.