New THOR Carving Mittens

I recently got a set of the THOR Snowboard Carving Mittens.  I have not gotten a chance to use them yet, but thought I would share some pictures and thoughts.  

The palm fabric is "Super Fabric". I have seen this fabric used in other high wear locations on ski clothing and on the Level Super Carve Mitts. It is a very very durable fabric in high abrasion situations.  The THOR mitt is a very simple design with minimal seams to wear out.  It is lightly lined with fleece but you will need to wear a liner with them.  If you are wearing wrist guards, there will be plenty of room for them.  I will most likely add a "don't drop your mitten" leash soon. Another cool feature is that the palm has a thin layer of dense foam padding for protection.  

I chatted with John he said to seal the seams with E6000 adhesive and spray the palms with Minwax Polyurethane Spray.  So I just finished that up and am patiently waiting to get them on the snow.  

The price is very reasonable for a carving specific mitt ($70USD).  I know his last design with kevlar on the hands held up very well and I expect these will also.

http://thorsnowgloves.com

The pictures were from before I sealed them up.  CAT scans came back inconclusive.

IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1433.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, dredman said:

CAT scans came back inconclusive.

lol :biggthump

Love my Thor SG1 Super Gloves...........just now needing replacing after 5 years of Patting the Dog ~

Interesting background in  your photos Dred  :eplus2:.......you just had to show off your fancy spancy vacuum, did'nt ya. 

I rode last year's version and burned through a pair in a month here at Sugarloaf riding most days. The thumb flap shape needs improvement. It's a weak link. Also using a fabric that increases friction isn't a great idea either. The fabric should be durable but smooth. There's hope here but it needs work.

I am impressed with the E6000 and Minwax polyurathane spray.  They turned out really nice after the treatment.  I'll let you all know how they hold up.  

I have the same fabric on another set of mitts and they have held up really well.  I am going to give them the same treatment to prolong the life.  

IMG_1666.jpeg.0b92da1d995b8556dd954a02a3e797e9.jpegIMG_1667.jpeg.5458d40ff38ac6cc205f1bcdbb52145f.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...