Note to New Members ×

New THOR Carving Mittens

dredman

I recently got a set of the THOR Snowboard Carving Mittens.  I have not gotten a chance to use them yet, but thought I would share some pictures and thoughts.  

The palm fabric is "Super Fabric". I have seen this fabric used in other high wear locations on ski clothing and on the Level Super Carve Mitts. It is a very very durable fabric in high abrasion situations.  The THOR mitt is a very simple design with minimal seams to wear out.  It is lightly lined with fleece but you will need to wear a liner with them.  If you are wearing wrist guards, there will be plenty of room for them.  I will most likely add a "don't drop your mitten" leash soon. Another cool feature is that the palm has a thin layer of dense foam padding for protection.  

I chatted with John he said to seal the seams with E6000 adhesive and spray the palms with Minwax Polyurethane Spray.  So I just finished that up and am patiently waiting to get them on the snow.  

The price is very reasonable for a carving specific mitt ($70USD).  I know his last design with kevlar on the hands held up very well and I expect these will also.

http://thorsnowgloves.com

The pictures were from before I sealed them up.  CAT scans came back inconclusive.

IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1433.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dredman said:

CAT scans came back inconclusive.

lol :biggthump

Love my Thor SG1 Super Gloves...........just now needing replacing after 5 years of Patting the Dog ~

Interesting background in  your photos Dred  :eplus2:.......you just had to show off your fancy spancy vacuum, did'nt ya. 

I rode last year's version and burned through a pair in a month here at Sugarloaf riding most days. The thumb flap shape needs improvement. It's a weak link. Also using a fabric that increases friction isn't a great idea either. The fabric should be durable but smooth. There's hope here but it needs work.

I am impressed with the E6000 and Minwax polyurathane spray.  They turned out really nice after the treatment.  I'll let you all know how they hold up.  

I have the same fabric on another set of mitts and they have held up really well.  I am going to give them the same treatment to prolong the life.  

IMG_1666.jpeg.0b92da1d995b8556dd954a02a3e797e9.jpegIMG_1667.jpeg.5458d40ff38ac6cc205f1bcdbb52145f.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So to revive a zombie:  What was your experience with the gloves @dredman?  I've about burned through my current Hestra gloves, will need a replacement soon, and honestly cannot find any realistic alternatives out there.  

Would absolutely love something like the snow raiders but with a thick TPU palm overlay molded so that the worst seams are moved to the back of the hand.

I have not found the best answer on long lasting carving gloves or mitts.  Shoe Goo I have found is the longest lasting product to add as protection.  The Thor mitts with seams and palms protected with Shoe Goo is pretty darn good.  

I really like mitts with wrist guards and they are really hard to find. Dakine had a Nova mitt with wrist guards, but they no longer make them. Shoe Goo protective layers added extended the life significantly.  Level had the Super Carve but they no longer make those and they were silly expensive and needed Shoe Goo. 

Dragging hands should be done with extreme caution, it is a magnificent way to get finger, wrist, arm and shoulder injuries.  

Thor is a great supporter of the sport and will take your input to improve the product.  I do like supporting companies like this. 

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I've got 3 pairs of Level gloves that I keep repairing. The wrist guard/ thumb protection is built in between the glove and the liner. That way when you remove the glove, the guard stays in the glove. Great design. 

http://www.amazon.com/LEVEL-1031UG-Level-Fly-Glove/dp/B002BBIB70

I try to keep my hands off the snow for injury prevention; it's cumulative!

Edited by Desjar
Thought they were discontinued!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone heard from John at Thor recently? I ordered a pair of gloves back at the beginning of December. He emailed me the next day to say that he was out of town until 12/31 but would get them sent out when he got back. No gloves yet so I emailed him last week to see what was up, no response. Just tried calling the office number that was on my PayPal receipt, but it's out of service.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:14 PM, fluxgame said:

Anyone heard from John at Thor recently? I ordered a pair of gloves back at the beginning of December. He emailed me the next day to say that he was out of town until 12/31 but would get them sent out when he got back. No gloves yet so I emailed him last week to see what was up, no response. Just tried calling the office number that was on my PayPal receipt, but it's out of service.

Well, gloves showed up in the mail today. Still wonder about his communication, but at least I've got what I ordered.

• Like 1