Note to New Members ×

Turny, stiff Board for semi-big guy

Chubz

Folks

Looking for a board that willl turn tight <10 SCR, hold on ice and have enough stiffness to hold 6', 205 lb-er. I saw the MADD 158 at Okemo that Glenn indicated holds him well and was still able to be stable at high speed. If there are any other boards out there that even come close, let me know. Not necessarily looking to buy right , now just looking to put on the "In search of, for consideration" List.

Thanks

Greg

I did get the donek , and it will turn, but the length is a beast sometimes. I was just baffled by watching glenn turn the MADD 158 at Okemo and he indicated it was great even for him being over 200 lb, if I understood him correctly. He also said it held at high speeds and did very well on the ice.

Just looking around

Geeg

Greg - the old Madd 158 for sure. Have not tried the new one, so I don't know. A short Virus would be great too, I'd say the Alien Extreme version, or go for a competition version if you want the wider waist. Don't waste your time on serial boards, no comparison as they are usually made for dwarfs and gnomes in the slalom lengths. I still have that 163 Excel Volant Aggression, and it's much stiffer than your 172 ............ Send me your e mail address, I have more info for you.

Chris,

I think I read into your messages a bit too deep, are you saying that your shorter 163 is much stiffer than my longer 172? I'm still ticked it started to delam. ,especially after riding with Mike Tokar yesterday and him telling me his Volant is still holding up. I can still ride mine, just havent been back on it since getting the Donek.

I appreciate all of the input and will keep my eyes peeled for some of the boards you folks recommended, especially that 163SL.

Thanks

I'm 205, and ride a 163 Coiler WCC, TPL, 7.9 stiffness (bruce's scale) High speed stability, arc turns real nice. just put binding lifters on it, and it's almost impossible to "skid". need to "feather" it once in a while inthe race course, and really need to focus to get the board off edge..

Neil

Being an old Roundtop rider (soft set up then) now Blue Mountain, maybe we could hook up next season to take that thing for a spin. I'm not going to look to race anytime soon, but want something that will hold on semi-ice and not bend, so I think your input will be considered for next season.

GReg

Chubz, I had a great day riding with you out at Okemo. I have a Volkl 163 and a Madd 158 both are good boards. I like the Madd 158 better, it seems to have better hold on hard snow (ice) conditions. For me it feels more stable at speed, I can do big GS turns or crank some tight SL turns. It is my slalom race board. You do have to ride it hard and agressive to make it work. On a softer day with some loose powder or corn I would want to be on the Volkl.

Since seeing you on the 158, I cant shut up about your riding on Thursday to myself or anyone else. I dont mind having to work a board, if fact, thats what I love about carving. I am keeping my eyes peeled for a 158, but may need to wait till next year.

As my wife indicated a couple weeks ago that my legs are starting to look like tree trunks, rather than the pasty chicken legs. I know I have put at least 2" on each thigh since December or at least it seems.

Jesse said a handful of guys were riding MADD 170's earlier in the season at Seven Sprigns and they were dicing the hell out of the mountain, but I think I'll stick with my Volant for that.

Thanks Again

Chubz-

I was riding at Blue yesterday for the first time ever! I like the moutain. Nice and steeper than most terrain in PA.

I'd be happy to let you take the coiler for a spin- it has an asymetric core in it, and i'm regular footed, so i'm taking the 50% chance that it will work. let me know..

Neil

Neil

I got there about 3:15 or so and saw someone coming down Razor's Edge at that time. Do you wear orange boots and had a blue hoodie on? If so I saw you coming down the Falls at the end of Razor for one run. Tried to find you but didnt. Couple other guys, Mike and Mark showed up later on their Coiler AM and we took a few. It started to firm up about 7 pm and began to hold again but too many piles by then.

SAturday is the last day at Blue and Jesse and I intend on riding rain or shine. I told him I wasnt but it's the last day, what's a little moisture. Hell , they may get snow with this system coming through. It's snowing right now about an inch.

Let me know if you can make it up Saturday, lifts open at 7:30am. If you are interested, I'll ask the wife if you can shack up Friday night.

Email me if you think you want to make it for saturday. I will double check with them to be sure they're open.

Greg

This morning WAS awesome, one of the best mornings at Blue all season. NO excuse for any skidding today. Just wanted to let you guys know, Sat is the LAST day for the season, so TEAR it up....

greg-

that was me, i was trying out my Head Statos Pro boots... I'm going to be training gates today (fri) and saturday at ski roundtop in prep for USASA nationals at Copper. Thanks for the invite. i'll be interested in riding with you guys next year for sure...

---

neil

Greg, I was looking for the same thing at SES. Something turny that wouldn't be scary. I demoed quite a few boards there. I'm 6'3" and 220 and fell in love with the Prior 174 4WD. That's what I have now in place of the Donek Axis 182 I sold you. The Prior has a 10 meter side cut which is hard to find on a 174cm board.