Note to New Members ×

Mountain Creek 2020/2021

jtslalom

Feels weird writing 2020/2021. Bought my pass yesterday $269 for an all access through the Vernon PAL. Jump on it while you can. I called the resort today to ask about COVID restrictions but nothing has been developed quite yet. As far as the mountain looks, people are still mountain biking all over it. No blowers or snow equipment have been moved on the mountain as far as I can tell but winter is definitely right around the corner. See you all out there.

JT

• 1 month later...

Had a few days out b4 the massive rain that we had yesterday and today 12/24->12/25. At this point the rain has washed away any natural snow that we had and also worked its way into the base. I don't think it is worth it to ride over the next few days until MC gets a chance to build its base back up. I am a little desperate and will probably ride one of the days this weekend.

Jt

I ended up riding today 12/27 and yesterday for about 1 1/2 hours. Maybe took 6 runs each day. Conditions aren't too good for big carving. I have seen some guys rip some turns on smaller boards but it's tough when you can't see because of all the guns running. Snow isn't bad and will only get better as this week goes on. Only Turnpike, Twist and Sugar slopes are open at north and basically one run down at south with features on it. All in all it wasn't that good for carving this weekend. I will be out Mon - Thurs this week in the early morning for an hour or so. See you all out there.

Jt

15 hours ago, jtslalom said:

I ended up riding today 12/27 and yesterday for about 1 1/2 hours. Maybe took 6 runs each day. Conditions aren't too good for big carving. I have seen some guys rip some turns on smaller boards but it's tough when you can't see because of all the guns running. Snow isn't bad and will only get better as this week goes on. Only Turnpike, Twist and Sugar slopes are open at north and basically one run down at south with features on it. All in all it wasn't that good for carving this weekend. I will be out Mon - Thurs this week in the early morning for an hour or so. See you all out there.

Jt

How was the line at the Cab?  I made the mistake of thinking it wouldn't be too bad last week, then turned around after seeing the 100yd line at 8:40.  Looked like covidetiquette was a bit lacking as well...

• 2 weeks later...

The line for the cab has been long but moves fast. I haven't waited on a long line this year only because I leave before the line starts to get long. Tonight will be day number 12 for me. I started riding the south summit as of yesterday 1/4/21 and I have to say that riding on south mountain is much better then riding north (Vernon Peak) There are features on the south run but not on all runs. There is plenty of room to make big looping carves as long as you navigate around the features. There are also much better riders at south and from time to time you will see riders carving good lines.

The weather is supposed to be good for making snow at nights this week so if you are planning to make a trip up to MC try to wait for this weekend. There will be more trails open and hopefully the trails they have opened now will be wider.

You may be onto something with South, but that's the last place I want to be on a weekend. You are a braver man than I...:eek:  I can definitely shift to a First lift at noon start over there.

I did ride this morning and the crowd was not bad and started to build just in time for me to leave at 10:30.  But they need snow, bad. I would be happy with a consistent layer of bulletproof.  VARIABLE is an understatement.  Packed, to ice, to slush and mud. Honestly I give a LOT of credit to mountain ops.  They are really making some lemonade.  Long range night temps look good so they'll turn it around, but we need the real thing which is nowhere in site.

• 2 weeks later...

Day number 19 today, 1/17/21. The lift opened this morning at about 7:45 am. Had three runs by 8:30. By 9:00 the lift line was like sleeping out waiting for concert tickets. Took a few runs on Sugar lift to round some turns. All in all the conditions were good for carving. Very firm frozen granular that eventually became dust on crust. The last few days before today had soft mushy conditions which I am sure most people liked, however it wasn't that good for carving. Cold weather coming in should stiffen up the slopes and make conditions prime for carving up some good lines. Trail widths are still kind of narrow although more trails have been opened. Bear Peak with KK and Race trail are now opened but not real wide. All in all MC gets an "A" for effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Day number 25 yesterday 1/28/21. I rode Bear peak for a little over 2 hours and was able to get in 11 runs. Conditions are excellent for carving. Every slope on Bear peak is now open. Trail width isn't great but it is enough to get a Tanker 172 to carve a good line. I finally got the chance to ride with three other carvers. It was awesome to look back at our lines and try to decide who made what line. It's also nice to try to match carves and stay in some one else's carve line. The dumb games we play! Anyway it was a great day riding and will only get better with the cold weather that is upon us and a possible 6 inches of snow on the way for Monday. I will be riding today in the later afternoon on Bear peak and Saturday morning on Vernon peak. Hope to see other carvers out there.

Jt

• Like 1

Day number 29 today. WOW!!!!! We received anywhere from 29 - 33 inches of snow in Vernon from the last storm depending on where you measure and who you listen to. Conditions are completely AWESOME. If you are into Riding through the woods, down mountain bike trails and bumps/moguls then you should come out and ride. Bumps are forming on Racing trail, Kamakaze, Zero-G, and Grand Prix. There are countless woods shots but any fresh powder is hard to come by at this point. I made 9 runs at Vernon Peak yesterday 2/2/21 and got the 4th lift up for the day. Zero-G was completely untouched with 10 inches of powder over the softest groomed run you can think of. We were able to get 4  fresh lines with no one else on the slopes. It definitely got crowded by our 4th run so to the mountain bike trails we went. Today 2/3/21 was all bumps/moguls on Racing trail and KK at Bear Peak. Leave your carving board home until the end of next week. It looks like we have two more storms coming through on Friday and Sunday. Friday may drop snow and rain while Sunday looks like all snow. Not much accumulation expected but enough to keep the bumps big and conditions soft. Again, leave those carving decks at home and bring a bump board and a woods board, Your gonna need them.

Jt

• Like 2

100% Open. MC even has a glades run called Moonspin. That was the old trail that has been more or less over grown that once ran under the old Blue Chair. Conditions have been fantastic. Day number 32 was yesterday. Took the day off today just to take a rest. We are getting up to five inches of snow tonight and into tomorrow morning 2/9/21. Not that we need it but every thing only helps the cause. Carving has been off the charts. There are less people on the slopes because the resort does not pack the lifts. This means a less dense crowd on the slopes and plenty of room for carving. It's truly a dream come true. If you can handle the 10 - 15 minute lift lines you will certainly enjoy the freedom of carving side to side along any slope.

Jt

Day 36 & 37 over the weekend (2/13-02/14). Was one of the best riding weekends I have had in some time. Saturday we made 12 carving runs arcing big turns at north and granite. The corduroy felt like Styrofoam. Riding Rad Air Tankers 172 cm we were able to drive deep GS lines without having to make way for other skiers and riders. The slopes seem to be completely empty prior to 9:30 am . So much room to carve. Thanks to MC management for opening up the triple chair early on Saturday. It certainly lessened the crowd on the cab and gave us an option to actually sit on the ride up. No lines to speak of and the overall carving conditions was a 10 out of 10 on my scale.

Sunday we actually found untouched powder in the woods and blazed fresh lines in some of the mountain bike trails. Yes there were still stashes of untouched powder. Riding my K2 Fatbob it felt like we were at a different resort riding the woods. We were able to get 13 runs by 11.

Edited by jtslalom

• 1 month later...