Note to New Members ×

Side Cut Variation in Racing

Atom Ant

On 11/1/2020 at 6:58 AM, Corey said:

1. The concept of the front of the ski/board cutting the trench makes perfect sense, and also reveals why the decambered noses of modern boards are so efficient. They make for a smoother transition in this region rather than the old abrupt noses. 

Yes.  Whoever invented this (Kessler??) was re-thinking the shape of the snowboard in 3D.  Decambered noses are designed to blend with the sidecut better when the board is tilted up on edge and bent into the carve.  Because the board digs into the snow by some depth, the board can engage with the snow beyond the widest point of the nose.  So the nose shape becomes an active participant in the carve.  An old-style abrupt upturn nose will plow or even hook, while a new-style decambered nose will slice.  An old nose is also less capable at dealing with bumps, especially while tilted up on edge.  Think 26" vs 29" mtb wheels. The tradeoff is less feedback from the nose, which some perceive as less positive engagement.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:58 AM, Corey said:

Snowboarders have one extra control parameter: Torsion imparted by two feet on one board.

Also more fore/aft leverage.  Skiers cannot load the nose or tail as much as we can.  Twisting can be a bad thing.  When I got back on a plate two years ago it made me realize that without one I had been twisting my board in a toeside carve more with my back foot, while my front foot was mostly just along for the ride.  This was robbing edge hold on ice.  Since then I've concentrated on driving my front knee into the toeside turn, and it's been a big improvement.

On 11/4/2020 at 2:16 AM, Jack M said:

When I got back on a plate two years ago it made me realize that without one I had been twisting my board in a toeside carve more with my back foot, while my front foot was mostly just along for the ride.  This was robbing edge hold on ice.  Since then I've concentrated on driving my front knee into the toeside turn, and it's been a big improvement.

Thread diversion: Having made that same discovery quite a while ago my next step was to move the perception point for edge pressure control down to the soles of my feet. (From the longer "Old dog..." thread on technique progression)

Sensei Beckmann seemed to approve. The move freed up my knees to better act as a suspension system. The following February (2019) on a trip to Aspen my NASTAR handicaps went to Platinum. Have a great winter 20/21!!

Edited by SunSurfer