Note to New Members ×

Spring stiffness for boot spring systems

TimW

I am thinking about making a spring system for my Deeluxe boots. My idea is to make it very compact with the forward and backward spring parallel to eachother instead of on the same axis. (so far I have always ridden them in walk mode, OK with that, but bit of experimenting never hurts)

Does anybody have a number on the spring stiffnesses are commonly used for these systems? Load at max compression or stiffness in N/mm, or lbs/inch (or whatever is used in imperical units), all would be helpful.

its probably possible to design to L shaped brackets which mount to the boot cuff and lower that where each bracket will only compress the one spring but also hold in place the spring it does not compress in place. I know i probably dont make the most amount of sense but i will mock something up in 3d software tomorrow after work to give you a rough example of what i mean.

For the BTS system these are equivalent to the soft yellow springs springs.  There is a list somewhere on this forum that shows the spring rates for all of them.

Forward spring:  https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0300270?isPunchout=false

Back spring: https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0300266?isPunchout=false

N/mm figures below are wrong but lbs/in are correct

Long (toe side) springs = 3" (7.62cm) long
Short (heel side) springs = 1.5" (3.9cm) long

Spring Rates: units = lbs/in (N/mm)

Yellow "Long" Spring = 96 (25)
Yellow "Short" Spring = 200 (56)

Blue "Long" Spring = 144 (60)
Blue "Short" Spring = 320 (129)

Red "Long" Spring = 340 (82)
Red "Short" Spring = 656 (177)

• Like 1