Note to New Members ×

Big Snow Resorts Opening Day

Algunderfoot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 3:42 PM, Algunderfoot said:

Now moved back to the 27th.

OK, Blackjack will now open this Friday, Dec. 4th, really and truely, free lift tix on Friday. MI COVID protocols will be in place, (I won't comment on those), but basically distance, only parties who came together can chairlift together, and face coverings at all times.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Algunderfoot said:

We'll be there but with the exception of last Sunday, coverage is thin, hard and lumpy...

Didn't see this ^ before I took off this morning at 6. I rode from 9-noon. Had lunch and hit the road. My legs were done. Catch you next time...when it snows.

Where the snow was good, it was about as good as Spirit is now, but that was just on 3 runs, Old Flambeau (best), Chippewa and Voyageurs. This is the first time in memory when conditions weren't better than home. Sundancer was all marbles and ice cubes. I never even wandered over to the other side. At least It was sunny and didn't start getting crowded until around noon. 

I had an awesome time on the XC. It's been my favorite board this winter. Perfect for all the low vis days, when it's icy, or when it's hard like today (only ½" deep "trenches"). Man I love ripping into those last turns on the face at the bottom! :biggthump

Stopped by the post office to pick up something from da man in northern Idaho.

• Like 1

Headed over to BigSnow country last night as strong NW polar winds started cranking up lake effect snow. Indianhead got about 8" from the storm with additional lake enhancement. Lake effect will continue for a couple of days. Much of the snow was groomed in overnight with 1-2" of fine polar powder on top of a soft pillowy groom. Trenches were 6" deep, more if you weren't easy on your edge. It was surfy turns with a cushy powder bounce. 

Al, Doobs and I did a good job of trenching up the hill and called it a day after 2½ hrs when we all started feeling the bitter cold. 

The 181 PC swallowtail layin' down that 1st track...

1458641933_Screenshot2021-02-05at4_39_06PM.png.3e0bd0491fa0a317c6e265532eb4f26c.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yup! Indianhead good! :1luvu:

The 1st track...

IMG_5871.jpg.2d1685f03d684e815a9d06c1cc7dae48.jpg

There was a young carver dude on an F2 race 166 who slept in his truck in the parking lot expecting to get that first track, and some old dude slipped right by, clipped in and took it. :eplus2:

I didn't mean to take it from him, it's just that layin' down that 1st track is kinda my thing. ...and I didn't know!

Turned out it was Doobs' kid, who races and has gotten a bunch of other kids into hardbooting. We rode together most of the day and I forgot his name. :smashfrea (Dakota)

Of course Al & Beth were there and we all carved up the hill pretty good. Al should be my board caddy, as I was pulling out my 185 8rw he whispered, "I'd ride the Super, it's a little hard today", and of course he was right. But a "hard" day inda U.P is a "great" day at Spirit.

Rode for 5 hrs, so I met my self imposed 5 hrs behind the wheel rule. :ices_ange

It got busy after a while, but not crazy bad. Chalk it up to Polar vortex pent-up demand. Nice sunny day. Started below zero and shot up to +25.

• Like 3

Drove over from Duluth this morning. Met up with Al & Beth, and  @Chouinard and his wife who drove up from lower MI yesterday. Beautiful soft groom and a warm sunny day .:1luvu: It was so pleasant, I almost fell asleep on the chair ride up. Rode for about 5 hrs, very few people on the hill. We're expecting some snow tonight and tomorrow, so I'm staying put.

Here's that 1st track...

IMG_5894.jpg.2591af07887ed0fc65e79cb1d8610de5.jpg

• Like 2

Only about 1-2 inches overnight, but enough to help the hill groom out nicely after having ~40° temps yesterday.

Had a good breakfast burrito for breakfast at the hill at 8 am. The day started out overcast, then sun in the afternoon. Rode with Pat C & wife Terry today. Rode for almost 6 hrs. I started out this morning being quite tired from yesterday, but once I started making turns....it was hard to stop...Rode the XC

1st down the hill again...

IMG_5903.jpg.dd610876931e8003bbbdb56f25c3e15d.jpg

...and caught an early chair back up in time to make the 2nd track on the hill.

The east side of the hill has great snow, Chippewa, Flambeau, Sundance, Voyageur. The top sections of the runs on the west side are great, but the steeps at the bottom are a little thin and icy/chunky. 

As the photo shows, where it was good, it was Aspen plush groom :1luvu:until we trenched it all up.

• Like 2

Day 3 Indianhead. Keeps getting better! 1-2" over soft groom, light snow gradually clearing to warm sun. I think it was unanimous, Sundance was el supremo :eplus2: with 2" on top of a plush groom and few tracks other than our own. In fact it seemed less busy today. Never a lift line and unfettered carving most everywhere.

It's been fun hanging out with Pat & Terry and Al & Beth. The C's are traveling east into the next timezone to visit the Porkies tomorrow before heading home.

That 1st track was real nice this morning. The lifty gets it now, after watching me walk back up to snap this pic, he let me board the lift early and said, "too bad the snowmobile made a track right down the middle of the run".

IMG_5928.jpg.3cdb565df8439a3e54f4a6b96e9c4fc2.jpg

Rode the Super all day, 'cept for this 1st run on the XC with the gopro on a stick.

• Like 1

8" yesterday! The 1st day groom today was a little challenging, but fun. It was kind of chunky on top and bumpy under the groomed surface. Started out on the 185 8rw and was really sinking the back half of the board. It was some weird snow.

Making 1st tracks....

586028062_Screenshot2021-03-01at5_31_54PM.png.7e0ead4cbe98ebf4f3295ffe8b5aca53.png

The 185 Coiler Contra AT with the "save-your-tail-tail" seemed to like the conditions better, including the freshies on the side. Al & Beth were there. Started out about 7° and breezy and got up to 16° when I left at 1:30. Planning to return tomorrow for some 2nd day groom before we start melting snow.

Amazing photo Dave - the way that 8R (and your back foot) is buried in that cold wave it could be a surf shot.

Knowing your use of the Fuego method I'm sure that front binder overhang is nothing like it looks either. 

• Thanks 1

2nd day groom! :1luvu: Wicked windy at the top of the hill and blowing downslope. :eek: Sundance, Sundance, Sundance!! :biggthumpWhen it's good, might be my favorite run on a big board. And there was hardly anyone there, maybe 10 people riding the chair? There were some people on the far side, but I didn't go over there. Beth showed up to make some turns.

1st tracks with the 8rw...the sun is getting higher, earlier...

1593484556_Screenshot2021-03-02at4_27_48PM.png.6415346bc41be0ae31dd66bf4a7c97fc.png

Voyageur was untracked and resurfaced with about an inch of windblown snow over the groom. Made for soft, relaxing mid-day turns. Old tracks in the ungroomed left side from 2 days ago had filled in for some 6-8" deep powdery turns. :1luvu:

40°F when I left around 1:30.

• Like 3