Note to New Members ×

Recommendation for Intecs

FTA2R

Just now, rjnakata said:

Intec/Fintecs are definitely not compatible with Burton Physics (two small engagement rings on the underside of heel)

I think you're referring to something else.  Sorry, should have clarified.  Asking about compatibility of F2 intec bindings and old / traditional Burton insert pattern (3D or whatever they called it)

OK, I just go confirmation that's a no go - glad I didn't buy.

I'd like to keep riding my beloved old Burton boards but need a step in binding (that isn't impossible to find)

14 minutes ago, FTA2R said:

I think you're referring to something else.  Sorry, should have clarified.  Asking about compatibility of F2 intec bindings and old / traditional Burton insert pattern (3D or whatever they called it)

F2 bindings are set for a 4x4 pattern.

I've seen some people do *unauthorized* mods to the center disk to make compatible with Burton 3-D hole pattern. I also believe you can rotate the center disks to an odd angle to accept 3 holes, but they don't fit perfectly and the angle reference marks are off.  

14 minutes ago, FTA2R said:

I'd like to keep riding my beloved old Burton boards but need a step in binding (that isn't impossible to find)

Bomber TD-2 & TD-3 and Catek OS-2 have some Burton 3-D compatible center disks.  They can be hard to find.  Both are no longer produced...as are Burton Alpine boards...

Edited by rjnakata

Ha, I just started a new thread....I haven't purchased a board in years, so I'd really appreciate recs from you guys who are likely much more in the know. I already have 1 board displayed, wife definitely won't be a fan of another one. I may look to sell.

2 hours ago, FTA2R said:

Ha, I just started a new thread....I haven't purchased a board in years, so I'd really appreciate recs from you guys who are likely much more in the know. I already have 1 board displayed, wife definitely won't be a fan of another one. I may look to sell.

Let's back up.

The best board in the world won't work if your interface to it isn't spot on... your boots, boots consist of three parts, each equally important, err, the orthotic, the liner and the shell, actually the orthotic and liner are much more important than the shell, the shell only has to be not too long, not to short, the orthotic has to be spot on and the liner custom or heat molded, wasting all the energy in the boot because it spins or hurts won't make a board carve.

Any burton board should be retired, bindings also, 8.5 radius is ok, look at the short boards from coiler or Donek, used is good, get a word of mouth guarantee, on this board it will assure you of success.

20 years ago intecs were accessible as well as parts, today, F2's are light and customizable intecs were heavy and customizable, take your choice.

@ursle  I love my Donek FC 1 163 but rarely ride it, mainly b/c I prefer a shorter board on these hills. As I'll already be buying new bindings, I don't really want to buy a new Donek, esp. at the current prices (and I have some very large expenditures coming up soon).

My boots are nothing special - Raichles that are at least 10 years old.  

"on this board" - you mean re: the actual board, right, vs. this message board?

I have two pairs of F2 step ins and I like them very much with my UPZ boots with aluminum fin tech heels. 
VERY IMPORTANT: This has happened only a few times but when it does it is a serious PIA, i.e. both times I had to take my boot off on the hill and had to find a good sized screwdriver or a heavy duty beer cap opener to pry my boot out of the binding.  IF you accidentally step in and you don’t get your boot far enough forward it is possible to get the heel guide pins stuck in the holes in the heel part of the binding where the attaching pins are supposed to go. It’s a rare occurrence but it can happen...MAJOR PIA but, with a little attention to stepping in it won’t happen to you. 

• Like 1

FTA2R - It sounds like getting bindings that will work with your old Burton is still under consideration.  If you happen to come across a set of Bomber TD2 bindings, I have a pair of three-hole (Burton) disks for those that I'd sell for $25/pair.  It's just an option to make one possible binding work for you.  Alternately, a new board like you're also considering would be a great way to go too.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, AJCdice said:

I would go right to F2.  I love Bombers, but for light weight at your weight and and skillset F2's will be great. Either the Ti Race set or softer and less expensive Carve RS Intec will work great. 

For lighter weight the carve rs intec are awesome. I got those and the titanflex and they are both great (but carve much less expensive) 

Edited by Tddragon