Note to New Members ×

Squamish gondola cable cut again

lowrider

People treat politics or religion as they treat sports and their teams. It becomes a zero sum gain, and no one likes to "lose".

If I mention some religious belief and tell someone what I believe happens after death, does it affect anyone else? In reality, no. People, however, will treat it like I just chose the opposite team in sports, and unconsciously, they will push hard against my point if they don't subscribe to the same dogma as they unconsciously see it as a recruitment tool towards my side as well. It becomes personal, and once personal, all the ad hominem attack, insults, and other vitriol comes to play. 

It is the same in our sport, actually. If a knuckle dragger goes flying over your head when you are sitting and resting, but pulls some ridiculous trick in the air, you are more likely to temper your anger with awe as they are on the same team; team snowboard. If that same scenario happens with a planker, it is game on. Human nature, at its core.

I temper my thoughts in here greatly for this reason and try do be data driven.

• Like 1

• Jack M changed the title to Squamish gondola cable cut again