Note to New Members ×

Squamish gondola cable cut again

lowrider

I think the moral compass of humanity has lost it magnetic north. We see this here and other places where people destroy other peoples property as they hold no value or respect. I am going to sound like the old-timer here, but there was a time when this individual would be shunned, like a pile of dog crap, even by his friends if they or anyone knew of his deed. 

Today, is is seen as some form of protest against some alleged 'wronging' he suffered. This accepted mentality of destruction of others property when you feel wronged is a cancer and blight upon the world and until morality is respected and restored, this and worse will continue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TVR said:

This accepted mentality of destruction of others property

Who is accepting this?  I haven't seen any support rallies for the anonymous cable cutter. 

If someone is trying to send a message, they need to use a clearer font. This is vandalism. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately something as simple a a battery operated disc grinder with a 1/16 inch cut off disc would do it pretty quickly.The fact the cable is under tension would make it simpler than cutting the same cable not in tension. No matter the reason for this destructive behavior the fact remains that no punishment would ever compensate for the losses. Were all going to pay because insurance never really covers the loss it just spreads it around and your local bump will be sharing the pain with you.

The proliferation of cordless tools from mini grinders, skilsaws, and sawzalls have been a boon to douchenozzels of any stripe from bike and tool thieves to vandals.  Last spring my jobsite was hit, and the gang box with all of my tools and a company tablet was opened with three cuts from a cordless grinder, probably in less than 2 minutes.  Agree with lowrider, it probably didn't take long with a thin cutoff wheel. Lots of people with a bunch of displaced anger in the world and no outlets for that energy.  I'll leave it there before I fall into angst filled rabbit hole

Mario

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lowrider said:

Real valuable contribution. Thanks for that .

I'll elaborate then. I don't think a case of vandalism is indicative of "losing the moral compass of humanity". I think that calling this a form of protest without having anything to back it up is definitely sounding old. I don't know why the cable was cut. It's stupid, that's vandalism. Stupid. But I also think we all have too much social media on the brain lately and have taken our thoughts to an extreme that is not helpful. 

As to valuable contributions, I don't think speculating on this is valuable. Neither is laying blame.

There. Made my contribution. 

p.s. none of this is intended to offend. I'm just weary of social media at the moment and the vitriol that's going around. Unfortunately it's also an addiction that I can't seem to quit. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply jrazz. Unfortunately the immoral and illegal actions of everyone is now on full display to the world . Too bad that every clown now has their own circus                                                                                                                          " ASB is an addiction most of us can't seem to quit" You are referring to Hardbooting i assume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lowrider said:

Unfortunately the immoral and illegal actions of everyone is now on full display to the world . Too bad that every clown now has their own circus                                                                                                                         

Well said. 

Captures my feelings exactly. Thank you Lowrider

With the heights involved and the inherent dangers of balancing while cutting the cable, I doubt this was mere vandalism.  This was most likely from an individual with some personal connection, and this is where I get my "protest" comment, as this was them protesting some grievance they think they have suffered. Often, people protest events and grievances without ever defining what that grievance is or was, as they, in their mind, often believe that grievance should be obvious.

I doubt it has anything to do with the top 5 political events happening right now (whatever those are at the moment), as this wouldn't have anything to do with that, but that does not mean that it cannot be protesting some perceived grievance just because it doesn't follow any current political dogma. 

It is a shame to sound old here as these kinds of events never used to happen. It would be nice to have that back again.

Well, there is a absence of clear info regarding motive.  I doubt a personal grievance is at the core, however, in the sense that this individual(s) was wronged in some way by the owners / operators of the cable.  I would guess environmental activism?  Obviously speculation.

Broadly speaking, in this moment in culture, the act of vandalism is indeed considered by some as a political act, and one stemming from a desire to bring down the current "system" and build up again anew.  Check out the book "In Defense of Looting".  Form your own opinion.

I would agree, however--and while I actually find myself coming here more often than not for the nuanced, well thought out political-leaning discussions (you are all fine people, and honestly the thoughtful nature of participants here is part of the sport's appeal to me and cannot be separated) I agree that overstatement is a tendency to be avoided.  It doesn't stand out on Facebook, etc. but it does stand out here.   

17 hours ago, lowrider said:

Thanks for the reply jrazz. Unfortunately the immoral and illegal actions of everyone is now on full display to the world . Too bad that every clown now has their own circus                                                                                                                          " ASB is an addiction most of us can't seem to quit" You are referring to Hardbooting i assume.

ASB = Alpine(S)now(B)oarder.com Forums

Unfortunately there are plenty of crunchy-granola types out there who see any sort of recreation or tourism on "their turf" as a problem, and themselves as Batman. There was an elderly woman jailed a while back for booby trapping mountain bike trails on Mt Fromme. There's been any number of similar cases and some of them have involved not thugs, like you'd imagine, but psychiatrists and school principals ... generally respectable people old enough to know better.

I hope that they catch whoever did this and throw the book at them. Although I have to say I'm surprised their insurers didn't insist on video surveillance after the first incident.

• Like 1

The act of vandalism/protest is a window into the whole debate about access and commercial exploitation of wilderness areas.

A similar gondola project in the Fiordland area of NZ failed to get planning permission because a whole lot of people saw it as commercial vandalisation of pristine wild NZ.

A gondola is a much more permanent and visible change on a landscape than a mountain bike trail.

Edited by SunSurfer

22 hours ago, TVR said:

... I doubt it has anything to do with the top 5 political events happening right now ...

It is a shame to sound old here as these kinds of events never used to happen. It would be nice to have that back again.

Politics aren't allowed on this forum so no one's going to fight you back, but please try to stay on topic and keep your politics to yourself.

I've been around the block a few times and this kind of event has always happened. Vandalism and theft have been common in the Canadian ski business for decades, as you'd expect. If you're having trouble remembering, just google down the Canadian crime statistics.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, philw said:

Politics aren't allowed on this forum

I apologize in advance for the threadjack, but this brings up a topic I have been tossing around in my head for awhile:

You know, I've spent a lot of time thinking about how we all avoid talking about politics, because of the (supposedly) inevitable turmoil it creates. I wish we could move beyond that tactic, because it is a harmful cop-out. I think our policies (here, elsewhere, almost everywhere) on this are wrong. The problems that we have [regarding the extremely-low quality of political discourse and the resulting us vs them perspective that is so polarizing and damaging], are expressly created by the fact that we haven't developed the skills to disagree productively about politics.

Discussing politics isn't really the problem. Arguing unproductively, and failing to try and understand one another's perspective is the problem. Entering into an argument with the sole purpose of belittling people we disagree with is the problem. The problem is: people who refuse to participate in political discussions productively; and people who just can't handle the fact that other people don't agree with them. It's the fact that so many of us are completely incapable of engaging an opposing viewpoint without name-calling, gaslighting, and other bad-faith temper-tantrum behavior, (usually a last resort when proven wrong, but no less destructive despite it) rather than trying to understand one another no matter how difficult. We're never going to build those skills as a society and a culture if we just decide that it's too hard to talk to people we disagree with; without turning into children. 

Instead of banning political discussions, we should ban name-calling, ad-hominem personal attacks, gaslighting, and statements made in bad faith. Basically just expect people to act like adults and shut them down when they don't. There is absolutely no reason people can't discuss so-called controversial topics without devolving into red-faced screaming toddlers. The quality of political discourse in the United States (and elsewhere) is never, ever going to improve until people start talking to one another—and more to the point—LISTENING to one another and genuinely attempting to UNDERSTAND one another. I wish this forum and so many others would replace the ban on political discussion, with a ban on name-calling, gaslighting, bad-faith arguments, and otherwise impolite behavior. The less you understand somebody, and the less sense they make: the more sense it makes to listen to them, and ask questions. Even if you disagree. ESPECIALLY if you disagree. Until we all learn to do this, things are going to continue to be divisive and unproductive. And there's no way to learn without practicing.

I mean, I get relegating politics and so on to off topic forums just to keep the main point of the forum in the limelight — that makes sense to me. And yes, there are political forums just for this purpose but people tend to flock to places that will reinforce their particular worldview, and that just contributes to the problem. It's the possibility of engaging in productive disagreement with random strangers everywhere that can fix the problem. 

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.

Also: not trying to put you on the spot @philw — your mention of the ban on politics reminded me of my thoughts on this matter.

• Like 4

I wonder how they will get the people needed to repair the cable given the travel restricitions globally Not exactly the news i wanted to hear today. Covid cases are up in Canada to May, June levels and we thought we were doing a good job. 70% were under 40 years old. I predict our neighbors are in for a whole lot of pain in the near future. Not adhering to rules for gathering can net establishments a $10,000.00 fine. Our experts are saying vaccine relief is a year away. Say home Stay Safe everyone. 

1 hour ago, queequeg said:

Discussing politics isn't really the problem. Arguing unproductively, and failing to try and understand one another's perspective is the problem.

Very well said! 

Unfortunately, politics and religion are two example topics of core beliefs that seem to illicit emotional responses from otherwise calm people. Everyone thinks that they're not being emotional, the other person is the one being emotional. 

Too risky to our small community to bring them into this forum, in my opinion. 

I regularly interact (purposefully left vague) with someone that is extremely intelligent, soft-spoken, and calm in general. Get him talking politics or religion and he's on the verge of dropping hate speech and condemning large swaths of the population in one fell swoop, all from his mighty tower of moral high ground. It's quite a shocking transition. Easy fix: Avoid those topics with him! 

19 minutes ago, lowrider said:

I wonder how they will get the people needed to repair the cable given the travel restricitions globally

Business travel is open. Quarantine rules vary by region. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Corey said:

he's on the verge of dropping hate speech and condemning large swaths of the population in one fell swoop, all from his mighty tower of moral high ground

I feel the same way toward those dirty 2 planker! 🤪

yep; certain things(topic/figure) are designed to be divisive. 
However this help me a ton to realized that if someone say/write can easily trigger me; then i am easily manipulated/controlled.

re cable cutting: destruction of property, eco terrorist, terrorist in general are form of intimidation/controlled.
It's nothing new but more visible in the ever presence of social media.  Good thing i naturally repel people so that's not a problem for me.  self burn lol...