Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 20/21

bobble

just checked the website and it looks like they've changed opening time to 10AM. ticket office opens at 9:30 AM.

lots of rules that make sense. i'm not exactly sure how they'll enforce chair lift "Parties that arrive together can ride together". 

i predict the ski teams will have early access for 1-2 hours.

say goodbye to first tracks . 

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2020 at 6:41 AM, bobble said:

"Parties that arrive together can ride together". 

They just say that to make people feel better, no way anyone will even try to enforce that. And how the rule is stated doesn't say people that don't arrive together can't ride the lift together. Lift lines are gonna get long at some places when people in line are watching a 6 person chair go up with one person on it.

16 hours ago, BobD said:

I don't think having two people on a quad would ever be an issue. With the air movement, exhaled breath dispersion should negate any chance of inhaling an infectious viral dose.

i've been on chairs where i can smell people's breath from sore throat lozenges. i'm a little worried that i'll be having fun and drop my guard.

got this from trent

just got an email from afton beer league. apparently it's cancelled this year "along with other programs in ski and snowboard school". no idea what that means, but they did mention buck and welch were still planning on leagues.... so, it's going to be even more bonkers at night at buck with all the too-big-for-gs-suits old guys getting their 2 runs in.

ski jammers are going to come out with their covid policy on 10/20.

might be the year i try cross-country skiing.

On 10/17/2020 at 7:55 AM, bobble said:

i've been on chairs where i can smell people's breath from sore throat lozenges. i'm a little worried that i'll be having fun and drop my guard.

I guess the wind direction would make a difference, Not so good when the winds blows uphill at the same rate as the lift moves, or across the chair from the other person.

off to a fine start... burnsville got 9 inches of snow. took paddleboard out. getting to the lake was tough. my wheels kept getting stuck in deep snow. visibility on the lake was bad. i couldn't see much but awhile later it improved. 

the return trip... it was a struggle. i had to push through snow piles from cars. had to take a couple breaks to clear the wheels and reset the cart.

when i got home i was drenched in sweat inside my dry suit. my heart was pounding. 

so moira says, "so ... you want a beer?"

hmmm.... 

so i had a Badger Hill Loyalist. the effects were immediate. started feeling better. best thing ever post-workout.

"you'll have to thank @bigwavedavefor that advice"

[when dave and i were at Indianhead, he pontificated on the miraculous healing effects of drinking beer after snowboarding]

i think from now on, whenever i do something exhausting,  i'll have a beer (e.g. shovel snow... in the morning)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scuff said:

Is this it?

Has winter officially began?

If I start now, maybe I could make a ramp off my roof....

i drove by buck parking lot this afternoon. the guns are not even set up. i don't recall this amount of snow before Halloween. hope it stays but would not be surprised if it warms up again. i still have leaves to rake under the snow.

• 3 weeks later...

11/14/20

first day of season. it wasn't all that great. only half of Teacher's Pet and Redtail were open. flat light. almost like spring conditions. on my first run i blew out a toe-side turning just as i was picking up speed. i wasn't feeling it so i left after three runs. 

no one is adhering to social distancing. when i was in the lift line, there were a group of kids standing right behind me. they took off once the rope-tow was running. from the chair, some were riding with face completely visible. i don't know how buck is going to enforce this. i briefly talked to a lifty and he said if you show up solo, you ride the chair solo. 

i wore a mask under a balaclava but it was difficult to breath so i just wore the mask. my goggles would continually fog. not sure what to do. ideas? maybe there's a 3d printer model that could prevent fogging?

not sure why but instagram isn't embedding. click if you want to see lines.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHk_v-UgpFJ/

13 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

I was wondering if you'ld go out today. When you said a picture of lines, I was expecting lines in the snow, like tracks...

i thought about taking a picture of the rut i created when i blew out but the light was too flat.

not going today (sunday). 

if i'm going to be part of a covid-19 super spreader event, then the conditions must be optimal🤪

have to sort out mask & goggle fogging.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlKCRBH2te/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

12/6/20

flat light. soft grippy snow. first run fell twice. on second fall, the nose of board dug in and somehow rolled off my arm/shoulder. no serious injury but felt some throbbing in my arm.  took it easy afterwards.

anyways... the lift line got too long and i left around 11:15am.

Thanks for the updates. I'm looking at heading up next weekend. 

Does it still feel like a super spreader event? Any luck with remedying your fogging? Back in March-April I was wearing splash goggles at work and could manage to fog up both my glasses and the goggles. Now with prescription safety glasses there's only one layer of fog!

17 hours ago, KingCrimson said:

Thanks for the updates. I'm looking at heading up next weekend. 

Does it still feel like a super spreader event? Any luck with remedying your fogging? Back in March-April I was wearing splash goggles at work and could manage to fog up both my glasses and the goggles. Now with prescription safety glasses there's only one layer of fog!

re: super spreader event... i don't know but I'm willing to bet that there are a few asymptos at buck hill. people seemed a little behaved but there were a few opportunist fncks that ski to the front and wait for people to forget who's next to board the chair.

re: fog... nope i haven't figure it out. i tried using a cloth mask with a filter that we purchased a while ago but it fogged my goggles. i tried using a disposable mask with a device that pulls the mask tight behind my neck. still fogging. yesterday i noticed that i had water beading on inner surface of lens.

in past when i've worn a balaclava and rode with nose exposed because of fogging. when it was too cold i'd pull the mask up to try to cover my nose. right now my hair is long and putting a balaclava over my head is a problem.

i might try adding tape(s) at the top of the mask. double fold gorilla tape over the top of the mask. it's a work in progress.

are you talking about taping the mask to your face? if so, i'm sure when i try to do it, i'll have some sort of allergic reaction to the tape, and have some nice red lines across my face. but, since home is the only place i'm not masked up, i guess it doesn't matter! 😀  time to find the duct tape 🤪

10 minutes ago, trent said:

are you talking about taping the mask to your face? if so, i'm sure when i try to do it, i'll have some sort of allergic reaction to the tape, and have some nice red lines across my face. but, since home is the only place i'm not masked up, i guess it doesn't matter! 😀  time to find the duct tape 🤪

i'm talking about placing tape along the upper seam of the mask.  take a piece of tape and fold it lengthwise over the top of the mask. adhere the tape to inside and outside of mask so that vapor doesn't wick up inside the goggles. might be a pain in the ass.

or ... place two tapes along the top of mask. one tape on the inside of mask, the other on the outside.  leave enough overhang of tape to join the edges together. might be easier than folding.

have no idea if this will work. looking for suggestions.

shouldn't you be winter biking in search of a nice delicious donut? 

12/12/20

i went in the morning. got first chair. 

flat light. some brown spots on crossroads. snow felt a little fast -- a slight icy glaze. it would easily break up at apex of turn. i could feel ice under the cord. rode mostly upright. 

i didn't last long. the lift line started to get bunched up. everyone has forgotten how to queue.

I'm going to wait a bit longer, the only board I have out here is still a bit too virgin for thin coverage. 

If you're serious about taping your face, I've got a few rolls of 3M Transpore kicking around. It lets your skin breathe and the adhesive is easier on your skin. If you're using a cloth mask it'll probably get gross with residue after a few tapings though. 

We tend to not tape our masks in the field because we frequently switch between surgical masks and N95s and it's hard on the masks. 

12/16/20

went in evening. around 4pm i checked the buck webcam. it looked extremely crowded. i got there around 5:30pm. around the chalet there were kids sitting next to each other not wearing masks. saw the owner walking around picking up trash out of the snow because ... kids. 

first run, the lift line extended all the way to end of the fence. i started a stopwatch and took 2:42 minutes. seemed like forever.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI4PpedgZUF/

snow was decent. just a couple divits.

from the chairlift i saw a member of the g-team (F) and a skier (M) collide near the top. she was riding goofy and committed to a heel-side turn. the skier came down from skiers right and cut across the run towards her.  it was a hard hit. the guy started yelling.  fortunately the ski patrol was at the top of the run and came down immediately to render aid. 

i watched for awhile at the top of the run. decided to leave as it was just too crazy.

i saw the girl at the bottom. she was waiting at the ski patrol office because they wanted to take a statement from her. i asked if she was okay. she seemed a little shook up. i told her that i saw the collision from the chair lift. she said she couldn't see the guy because he was behind her.

ski patrol checked her over. her front leg might've been bruised. the skier later arrived in the red sled. he looked to be 55+ years old. he was immobilized. not sure the nature of his injury. 

not sure who was at fault. 

12/20/20

great day out. sunny day. i got there after 9:15 AM not realizing that they changed their hours back from 10AM to 9AM.

missed first tracks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJBwZnhg1c3/

all runs are open but snow coverage is a thin on skier's right of olympic / skiers left on warners. snow was decent.

lift lines weren't too bad. i do appreciate some of the efforts that buck has taken for covid. they now have staked signs to "slow down" in the middle of the lift line. unfortunately it doesn't seem to deter some of the aggressive skiers that ski all the way to the front and cut people off. 

at main chair, a skier tried to load with me. i was next when he pushed forward with me. i slid my board over to block him. he asked if you ride with me.  i told him that i ride solo. jc... the  covid/solo signs are all right in front of you!

• Like 1