Note to New Members ×

WTF 2021 Jan 15-30

snowreport: mon jan 18, 2021
howdy all

wow! … after yesterdays snow today was great groomers. three inches of snow fell early yesterday

and by the time I was finishing up it was getting wet-n-heavy by noon. today the groom was a bit

harsh, but it was good and held a good edge. mostly sunny and not much direct sun on the snow

and the groom stayed good all day. I was having fun and stayed longer than I should have. my old

body was done by 1pm, but it was such a nice day I stayed till 2pm just cruising around. It was nice

to see Cuban again and skwalguy, skwalguy took last year off. all the local carvers were up riding

and carving it up... today was a really great carving day... the new snow really help heal the ice...

not that crowded being MLK holiday...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue jan 19, 2021
howdy all

early this morning there was blue skies to the south and a little cloudy over the big. I thought

the cloud would burn off and we would have nice day, but as the day progressed the cloud

lowered and the cloud/fog got thick down to the village. the groomers was good, but a bit

harsh and held a good edge. not much people on the hill and the thick fog thinned the crowds

even more. no lift line wait on chair 2 and chair 1. stayed on chair 2 all morning cause the fog

looked thicker up higher. wanted to stay longer, but wasn't feeling it. moved my binding 2cm

higher, but could go a bit more... today good carving... oh yeah yesterdays post I was shoveling

snow on sunday and it got wet-n-heavy by noon...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 12...

snowreport: wed jan 20, 2021
howdy all

a great day all around … mostly sunny in the morning with blue skies and great groomers. clear

night kept the snow drier and made for nice grippy groomers. all the local carvers were out and

tearing the groomers up. not much new snow so the groom is getting buffed out smooth. today

was fun riding with the crew. I had fun just watching the boys rip some beautiful turns. wanted

to stay longer, but I was getting tired and hungry... not much crowds so it was nice... goodtimes...

today was a great historic day...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: thu jan 21, 2021
howdy all

wow! another great carving day. some sun with high thin clouds that filtered the sun and vis was

good. it was a beautiful day and on the chilly side with a good cold wind from the north. the groomers

was a little firmer, but still held a good edge and it was good all day. the slightly cooler temps are

keeping the snow good. Cuban and me riding hard all morning then johnasmo shows up as we were

done by 1pm. wanted to stay longer cause the groom was still good and it looked like early morning

as we left... I was surprised the groomers are still good... we need new snow, but nothing in the

forecast for the next week...

rode the 171ts from 9 till 1...

snowreport: fri jan 22, 2021
howdy all

wow! it has been getting better and better. today was a beautiful bluebird day and the groomers

was nice and smooth. dredman, johnasmo, cuban and me carving all over the mountain. ran into

shred and gunslinger65 and did a run with them. the sun was out, but the cooler temps kept the

snow good in the morning, but the sun brought the crowds and it got busy as the day progressed.

it was getting bumpy with the huge crowds and people were still coming when I was leaving at 2:30pm,

I guess they were going to do night skiing. today was really busy in the afternoon... super fun

carving day with the crew...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sat jan 23, 2021
howdy all

what a difference a day makes... today cloudy and grey and as the lifts open it starts to lightly

snow and snowed all morning. the groomers on ed's was crumbly crunchy, I don't know if it got

beat-up and chewed-up from night skiing, it wasn't as good as yesterday. the huge crowds on

chair 1 kept us on chair 2, but Cuban and johnasmo went about 11am and I decided to stay for

a few more runs and left. today was fun as I tried a new to me og madd 158, it is a fun board and

fits my style of riding. the snow was not the best as it was dry, crumbly crunchy and grabby...

left early cause it is the weekend... my first Saturday...

rode the 158sl from 9 till 12...

snowreport: mon jan 25, 2021
howdy all

wow! another great carving day. super high thin clouds that filter the sun with great vis and

sometimes the sun peeks thru. the groomers are buffed out smooth and only gets skied off

into powdered sugar so stayed good all day. Cuban, johnasmo and me carving all over the

place. good vis and not many people on the hill made for quick laps. Cuban and johnasmo

went to lunch so I decided to get some too and stayed all day cause it was such a nice day.

cruised around after lunch... today was really fun and way better than I thought...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 4...

snowreport: tue jan 26, 2021
howdy all

classic big mountain fog from the top of chair 2 on up. great buffed out groomers and getting

a little polished. met kram first thing in the morning and did ed's run with the crew. kram, Cuban,

rick and me on chair 2 then on chair 1. the fog was thick at times and moving up and down and

all around. it was fun to watch kram carve in the fog, for someone who doesn't know this mountain

that well and carving hard thru the fog was amazing. I had fun just sliding and watching his

consistent turns. I was tired and carved a little here and there. It was fun to watch the boys rip

the hill... foggy all morning and bone chill'n humid cold... some sun peaked thru at the summit...

It was nice to see kram again...

Bummed I missed it.  The weather just was not cooperating to get me there on time today.  Sorry to the rest of you if your UPS packages were not delivered today.  

Have a great rest of your trip @Cuban Carving Gooding. @Shred Gruumerand Jim! Was great to see you all again! Have a great rest of your winter!

• Like 1

snowreport: wed jan 27, 2021
howdy all

super high overcast early then slowly you could see something coming in from the west before

noon. it started to snow a little and accumulated to a little bit. groomers was good early then

later the new snow made it variable. same crew as yesterday and it was fun. dredman got held

up due to fog down south and johnasmo was busy on the phone meetings so did not see um.

groomers was good today and we did the usual runs, ed's, toni matt and big ravine. it was

snowing good when I left at 1pm and snowed till 3pm in town then it was super high overcast

and clear looking at the mountain at 4pm... kram left about noon... safe travels... today was fun...

cold and bone chill'n with a good wind when the snow came in...

rode the 158sl from 9 till 1...

snowreport: thu jan 28, 2021
howdy all

as I was leaving town this morning the full moon was setting behind some clouds on the western

horizon, it was big. it was blue skies and was hoping for a bluebird day, but light cloud builds and

filters the sun. vis was good and groomers was nice and smooth. it was a great morning carving

our usual runs. Cuban, rick and me then later with johnasmo making laps. it was a nice morning

so figure I get lunch and hang around later, but after lunch it gets grey and was trying to snow.

took it easy after lunch and the snow was chewed up bumpy... today was fun... great carving...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: fri jan 29, 2021
howdy all

3in overnight and 4in 24hrs... classic big mountain fog and thick and moving around. warm and

humid and it was starting the inversion with huge clouds above the inversion. some sun poked

thru the huge puffy clouds. the groomers was good for a little while, but the fog was thick and

just cruised down ed's cause the vis was bad. Cuban, rick and me than later with johnasmo. it

was good where it was groomed last with no snow on it and the new snow over groom was wet

and heavy bumpy after it got chopped up... well today is the last day of WTF2021 and it wasn't

good, but the past two weeks was some of the best groomers we've had in a long time. I was

worried that the rain event just before WTF was going to ruin the hill, but was saved with some

new snow and the no new snow and cooler temps made for great groomers... as always it was

great to see Cuban, shred and gunslinger65 again and kram… there was a lot of great riding

this past two weeks... WTF2021 was a great success!... goodtimes...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 12...

snowreport: sun jan 31, 2021
howdy alI

knew it would be busy, but went anyways cause wanted to ride the softboots for a little while.

so today was a good day to do some soft carving. looked like it might be a bluebird day, but it

soon gets super high overcast and just a nice morning. stayed on chair 2 cause chair 1 was busy

with the weekend crowds. there was the sunday kids race on hellroaring and the bottom of ed's.

saw four on hardboots and one of them looked at me then my softboots and didn't say anything.

I was going to introduce myself, but did not cause I wasn't going to hang around too long. I did

run into sam a local young one and would have liked to do some runs with him, but he disappeared.

today was fun and wanted to stay longer, but it was time to call it... still need to get more soft

carving fix... today is my first sunday...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12...

snowreport: mon feb 01, 2021
howdy alI

what a beautiful morning! mostly sunny and warm comfy temps like spring time. groomers was

really nice and the warm temps put a little moisture in the snow. I knew it was going to be good

groomers and wanted to do the soft carve again. stayed on chair 2 all morning cause chair 1 was

kinda busy. it was fun to do the soft carve, but it is hard on my feet. made some really good turns

and kept lapping chair 2 after everyone went to chair 1. wanted to stay longer, but got tired and

hungry. the top layer of the snow was breaking down into soft wet chunks from the warm temps

by noon. after I left it got cloudy and I hope the snow did not break down too much. I am thinking

it will be firm groomers tomorrow... softboot carving is fun...

rode the 168inc from 9 till 12...

snowreport: tue feb 02, 2021
howdy alI

got up this morning and got ready and looked at the news and checked the radar and a blob

was heading this way, but it was warm and a lite drizzle as I headed out and almost turned back

and thought it might rain even more. decided to go up and I am glad I did. lite icy drizzle at the

baselodge then starts to snow with good size flakes as I am getting ready and dumping by the

time the lifts starts spinning. there was about three inches of kinda sticky snow over groom

and it was a bit more on every run. did a couple on chair 2 then went to chair 1 and did four

runs. the top was good snow, but the bottom was wet and heavy. it was dumping hard for an

hour and a half. it was warm and easy to wipe the snow off the goggles then it got wetter

and the snow got really wet and heavy. I was soaked and called it early, I was afraid it was

going to start raining. the fog was starting to get lower. it was not busy today... should get

cooler by the end of the week...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11...

snowreport: wed feb 03, 2021
howdy alI

kinda knew what to expect, nice soft groomers up high and icy firm groomers downlow. clouds

just on the summit and kinda comfy nice day. lighting was a little flat and the groomers wasn't

the best after yesterdays melt down. perfect conditions to find what the og madd 158sl can do.

the madd is very grabby with it's sharp edge on soft and hard snow, I have yet to tame this beast,

my 157fp is a much better all around board. I still have not pushed the madd to it's limit. coilers

are great boards, but it is too nice and easy to ride and kinda takes the fun out of riding. it's fun

when I am thinking am I going to make this turn or not, just trust the edge and hang on or die...

hehe haha... forecast is cooler temps by next week so groomers should be really good...

rode the 158sl from 9 till 12...

snowreport: thu feb 04, 2021
howdy alI

a grey morning and I wasn't psyched to go up, but went anyways. groomers looked good, but

only upper mullys was good and ed's was icy crunchy crumbly and would not hold a good edge.

the cloud was just above the summit and lighting was not good. I was not really carving and did

some off groom runs, took it easy and cruised around. not excited about the conditions lately,

but things are looking up. forecast is lots of snow this weekend and much colder temps next

week... it was kinda nice to not ride so hard...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12...

snowreport: fri feb 05, 2021
howdy alI

what a morning! … got up early and looked outside and got excited with maybe 4 to 5 inches

of fresh overnight so I was up early enough to shovel a path on the driveway and shoveled the

sidewalk. left a little earlier to walk thru the new snow, got on the snowbus and the bus driver

said there would be a delay cause there were several cars in a ditch along the road to the mountain.

finally got to chair 2 and it too was delayed because the employees were late too. just as I got

there the lift opened and I did not have time to get my gloves, goggles and neckie on which was in

my small bag so I rode two good pow runs on ed's without my gear on. did a couple on chair 1

and there was a lot of people. had a good pow run thru good medicine. the sun poked thru

about 11:30am it was warm and it was getting wet and heavy and bumped up by noon...

first two runs was really good and good med... the cars in the ditch caused major delays in town

cause it was backed up for miles... on a powder day!... it was busy...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12...

snowreport: mon feb 08, 2021
howdy alI

thought it was going to be cold in the morning on my way to the snowbus so packed a light glove

in my bag, but it wasn't too bad and my fingers never got cold. it was kinda nice in the morning

with no wind, I was expecting fridge temps and wind chills. clouds just above the big and lighting

was pretty good. just a light dusting over groom on ed's and it was good, but on the wee bit soft

side. it was the best carving snow so far, tomorrow should be really good. not much people and

making quick laps. stayed on chair 2 all morning and was thinking of going to chair 1 about 11am,

but the north wind started at the top of chair 2 and it got colder with each chair ride. the gust of

winds blew the snow off the trees and the fine pulverized snow blew down into waves on ed's.

it was getting colder with the wind and it was time to call it a day... met jng and watched him

make some smooth turns on a nice coiler then he left to softboot with his boys...

today was super fun and got to abuse the all mountain... I should have gone up yesterday,

canceled ski school cause of wind and cold temps...