Note to New Members ×

WTF 2021 Jan 15-30

The Christmas crowds are arriving now all the kids are off school. And the downside to that is that a lot of the kids here (I don't know about there) are on extended break this year - some of our schools don't go back until the middle of Jan.

At least the Canadians are stuck at home, which should help a bit. If conditions aren't great, at least you don't feel bad about skipping the busy days.

snowreport: mon dec 21, 2020
howdy all

slushy snow all morning and dripping noise outside at home. dumping all morning and on the wet

side. again started on chair 3 to avoid the holiday crowds. chair 3 was groomed nice with an inch

plus of new snow when I got there and it kept piling up. first few runs was good with yesterdays

fresh snow groomed in. the new snow was nice and kinda dry and surfy. made some good turns

on three then went over to chair 2 cause they said it was going to open. had to take a pee break

anyways and waited a few minutes as they was getting ready to open chair 2. on Friday chair 2

did not look like it could open soon. three snow makers on eds run and bushes here and there.

good pow, but avoiding a lot of hazards. tried a new to me old 168 donek incline with softies

and thought I would struggle with it, but it worked out really good. was ripping it after a few

runs... today was a storm day and it was really fun... busy, foggy... did not go to chair 1...

rode the 168inc from 9 till 12...

snowreport: tue dec 22, 2020
howdy all

wooooo! what a morning... it was snowing pretty good as I got to the village and as I was getting

ready the wind starts to pick up. started on chair 3 again and as I get there the wind is blowing

hard with puking dumping snow. my goggles get a little fogged up so I keep it up, but the snow

is stinging my eyes. foggy down in the village and so much blowing snow I got vertigo on my

first run plus my foggy goggles. it must have been warm last night, the groom was frozen hard

ice with three inches of good powder over it and the snow kept piling up. so as the snow gets

pushed around there is exposed hard ice and soft push piles. was thinking about leaving after

my first run, but stuck it out for a couple hours. did one run on eds as the wind was dying down

and called it, eds was the same as chair 3. did not bother to go to chair 1 with the high winds

and holiday crowds. today was bad and the extreme weather did not help... dumping hard for

the first hour and a half...

rode the 168inc from 9 till 11...

• Like 1

snowreport: wed dec 23, 2020
howdy all

after yesterdays pow I thought today would be good groomers, but it was firm and icy hard and

could not dig in to hold a carve. again started on chair 3 and did two runs then went to chair 2

and did upper mullys and it was icy chicken heads and marbles so back to three. did not even go

down eds, they were blowing snow cause it was cold enough. chair 1 looked very busy so I did not

bother to go up, I am sure the snow on the backside is really good, but I am not dealing with the

huge holiday crowds. not windy and classic big mountain fog... staying home tomorrow... forecast

is some snow/rain this weekend... might go up Friday cause normally quite in the morning...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 10...

snowreport: fri dec 25, 2020
howdy all

took the day off yesterday and it was a beautiful bluebird day with colder temps. I missed a great

day on the hill... today was mostly sunny with some clouds that appears and disappears really fast.

started on chair 3 and groom looked good, but just not able to hold an edge so went to the backside.

I knew it would be good and it was very good grippy snow. wasn't too crowded early and it was

really fun. the factory prime was working it's magic, I just lay it over and it held a crazy edge.

today was super fun and rode hard all morning. I don't take my usual breaks anymore so I get

tired and hungry by noon and it is time to go home. wanted to stay, but the holiday crowds keep

coming... forecast is some snow this weekend and some by the end of the week. temps are

kinda normal and I wish it was colder... today was a great carving day... Merry Christmas...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: mon dec 28, 2020
howdy all

stayed home this weekend and got some snow on Saturday with fog and Sunday just foggy.

today was a nice day with mostly sunny skies and good groom. started on chair 3 and did a

few laps and got a little crowded early. I moved my stance on the 168 incline 4cm up and it

carved way better. looking at chair 1 it was super crowded and as I got to chair 2 it too was

crowded. ed's was not good, but the very bottom was nice and smooth. people of all levels

all over the place and had to wait for clearing to make a few carves. snow was kinda good

and would have liked to stay longer. kept telling myself don't get angry and leave when it

gets crazy. big mountain on the local news said normally they get 300 rentals a day, but

now they are up to 500 so now its reservation and not walk-in... truly holiday madness...

made some really good turns so it was worth coming up for a little while...

rode the 168inc from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: tue dec 29, 2020
howdy all

kinda like yesterday, but the snow was on the icy side and it was a bit cooler with the humidity

and the fog was low. the snow on the front lower mountain is not the best due to milder temps

and lack of new snow. the snow also gets beat up by the huge crowds and gets packed down

and polished icy. made some turns, but was not confident on the icy patches. the huge crowds

was getting crazy and it was time to call it. on my last ride up chair 2 I rode with purist, his kid

is in ski school... I am sure the backside is good, but staying away from the holiday madness...

forecast is some snow Wednesday night, Thursday and the weekend with warmer temps...

snowreport: thu dec 31, 2020
howdy all

last day of the year 3in overnight and 5in in 24hrs. started on chair 2 and the groom looked nice

cause it gets groomed later cause of night skiing. the groom was soft and got bumped up fast

with the high traffic. foggy down low and looked really foggy up high. on my second run I was

thinking of going to chair 1, but the lines was full up and even chair 2 was getting busy so did

a few more runs and called it. didn't really ride on pow and still staying on the groomers as we

need way more snow before I will go off groom... glad I stayed home yesterday and heard the

rime was really bad... forecast is a warmer weekend in the upper 30's with rain/snow... today not

so fun... hopefully people start leaving soon and we get our mountain back... happy new year...

snowreport: fri jan 01, 2021
howdy all

Happy New Year! … I had a feeling today would be great groomers so brought the 165amt and

made a good choice. started on chair 3 and stayed there for a couple hours, I am not dealing

with the crazy holiday crowds on chair 1 and chair 2. I knew it would get crazy busy so get there

early and leave early. the groomers was just as I thought, great second day groom and set up

over-night. the last groomer going to the barn made a last past on chair 3 and it was too soft.

the groomers was good and I was remembering how to ride the 165amt. the fog was in and out

on chair 3 and it was getting busy. I was making laps with no lift line wait and was getting pooped.

it was getting busy and it was time to call it... I know what the 165amt can do, but I am not there yet...

today was fun... we need a lot more snow... snow this weekend, but I am taking it off...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11...

snowreport: mon jan 04, 2021
howdy all

did not go up this weekend, Saturday was foggy all day and Sunday was to be a storm day. got

up early Sunday and the mountain looked foggy and reports of high winds so back to sleep and

got up before noon and woke up to a dusting of snow and it was a beautiful blue sky afternoon

with warm temps and calm winds... I thought it would be icy groomers this morning, but it was

good carving snow. a bit icy in the early morning then it got much better with the top lightly skied

off. the groom on ed's wasn't the best as there were little bumps that would rattle you around.

after chair 1 opened there were hardly anyone on chair 2. the holiday crowds are gone and I was

making quick laps. I was thinking of going to the summit, but I never did cause chair 2 was good

enough for me... today is my first four hour day... nonstop fun... tonight 9:30pm raining in town...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue jan 05, 2021
howdy all

classic big mtn fog above chair 2 and 2 plus inches of new snow. groomers looked good, but it

was on the soft side in the early morning. then slowly the skied off push piles get wetter and

heavier and too bumpy and it got tiring. so went to chair 1 just after 11am to take it easy and as

I am going up it starts to rain and my goggles and me get wet then as I am going down the rime

builds fast so lift goggles up and squint with stinging icy rain. so it was time to call it... there

was some good areas where I could make some good turns so it was a fun day... forecast for

tomorrow is lite snow all day... we have been about 10 degrees above average all season...

oh yeah, I almost hit a girl on a snowboard, I thought she was far enough away, but I got close

to hitting her head-on on toeside, my bad...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12...

snowreport: wed jan 06, 2021
howdy all

wow! what a fun day. good groomers and riding with a mini crew. dreaman, purist, rick and me

then later johnasmo. I had to excuse my self cause I cant keep up with them. todays snow was

good, but just a tad bit harsh, but was close to hero snow. fog was just at the summit and the

lighting was flat at times. nice comfy temps and on the warm side. today the snow was good

top to bottom and all day. I was done by noon, but kept riding till 1pm cause it was fun, but my

old body could not take it anymore. made some really good turns so it was a super fun day...

Cuban and shred you guys would have gotten your moneys worth today... see you guys soon...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: thu jan 07, 2021
howdy all

foggy down low first thing in the morning and moving up and down all morning, thick at times

and lighting was flat. one run could be clear and the next would be foggy. light dusting over

groom on chair 2 and it was a bit icy. brought the small soft carver and thought I should have

brought the hardboots, but it was fun to do the soft carve. carved mostly on the flat sections

cause the main section of ed's was icy patches and skied off bumpy piles. made some good

turns on the soft carver so it was a fun day... as I got into town and looking at the big it cleared

of the fog/clouds and was in the sunshine... fun to change it up...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12...

snowreport: fri jan 08, 2021
howdy all

beautiful blue sky day with great groomers and on the warm side and it really felt like a nice

spring day. carving was good early then the snow slowly breaks down and before I left at 1pm

the snow was getting soft and wet from the sun beating down on it. like yesterday I stayed on

chair 2 all morning and did not bother with the huge lift lines on chair 1. the first couple runs

was crazy with people bombing ed's before they head to chair 1. carving was great early then

slowly gets bumped up soft... today was fun... met a girl with Kessler skis this morning...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 1...

snowreport: mon jan 11, 2021
howdy all

stayed home this weekend and sunday looked foggy all day. today was foggy at the bottom of

ptarmigan bowl up and thick on the summit. chair 2 was groomed good and a bit icy crunchy

and carved good. the snow would break-up into little sugar cubes and not icy hard marbles,

so it was easy to carve thru and it and would break down. as the day went on and got warmer

the snow got better with a little moisture in it. not very crowded so groomers stayed good.

after chair 1 opened chair 2 had very little people on it. made my laps as there was no lift

line wait. there were times when I was the only person on ed's run. the snow was getting

good but I was getting tired and hungry... the groom was nice and smooth today... made

some really good turns and it was a super fun day... thought it was going to be icy hard...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: wed jan 13, 2021
howdy all

stayed home yesterday cause woke up to the sound of dripping rain and it rained all day and must

have rained thru the night. looking at the webcam it looked really foggy down to the village. we are

in storm warning with high winds. today I was thinking of staying home so slept later and when I got

up it looked like it was going to be a nice day. a dark cloud behind the big and mostly sunny to the

south so got ready in a hurry and caught the snow bus an hour later than normal. I was going to the

village and angry rick got on at the baselodge and he said it was concrete. I got off at the village and

the bus was taking off then an old time skier flagged the snowbus and told me it was really bad so

I hopped back on and went home... chair 1 did not run cause of ice build up and high winds...

sorry for the break down guys, hope it can be salvaged... might go up tomorrow so I can report...

here is the big's snowreport...

Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)

Overnight Snow: 6"/16cm
Settled Base: 84"/214cm
Total to Date: 136"/346cm
6am Temp: 29°F/-2°C

24hr Snow: 12"/31cm
7 Day Snow: 16"/41cm
Current Conditions: Snowing
Visibility/Wind: Cloudy/SW at 16mph

Terrain Status

Open Runs: 104
Terrain Parks: 2
Night Skiing: Friday & Saturday Nights

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)

24hr Snow: 2"/6cm
Village Settled: 22"/56cm
Total to Date: 41"/105cm
6am Temp: 35°F/2°C

7 Day Snow: 5"/13cm
Current Conditions: Precipitating
Visibility/Wind: Moderate/0mph

Deep thoughts by Pat*:

1:00 PM Update:

In checking out the snow, there are widespread grooming irregularities and a tough crust on top of storm snow. Ski cautiously!

My experience out there this morning, I saw many people and departments working hard to get the mountain open. They are still out there chopping away at inches of rime, fixing broken rope lines, and clearing down trees. Lower mountain is the right call with the wind, and tomorrow will be a new day.

11:25 AM Update:

Today is a good day for some lower mountain skiing and riding! Unfortunately, due to the wind, overnight rain and the rime, chairs 1, 5, 7, and 11 will not open today. We want to make sure all our guests and staff are safe. What is open currently will remain open!

8:45 AM Update:

Expect a delayed opening for Chair 1 this morning. The weather events of the past 12 hours have created a tricky situation at the Summit involving ice and the grips that hold the chairs on the cable. We have crews working diligently to resolve this and will open Chair 1 as soon as it is reasonable to do so. Thanks for your patience.

8:00 AM Update:

Chair 8 will be closed today. I always forget to check the electronic board at bottom of Chair 1 for lift status. No worries, there is also electronic boards at The Summit for current lift status. 

It has cleared up a little bit, the skiing should be good!

6:00 AM Report:

The Big Mountain is in the midst of a big moisture event! The summit received 12" of new snow in the past 24 hours, 6 of which fell overnight. I'm still drying out from skiing yesterday, it snowed all day and the snow was kind of like frosting on a cake, creamy, smooth, and entirely irresistible!

Right now, it is warm on the mountain. Temperatures are expected to fall today to about 18 degrees by 2 pm. Increasing winds and gusts are also expected, along with continued snowfall. It seems like the wind is going to pick up sometime today and start to blow this system out of town. Thursday's forecast is mostly sunny with a high near 20.

Bring your Gore-Tex, bring your face coverings, and get ready to get some good turns in today!

Safety Messages:

Groomers reported that the backside and higher elevation terrain groomed out excellent, meanwhile grooming irregularities exist on parts of the lower mountain today. 

Respect the ropes! Please respect all terrain closures. Check out the electronic info boards at the Bottom of Chair 1 for current lift status.

We operate a ski area within our stated boundaries and that is what Ski Patrol works to control. If you choose to go outside Whitefish Mountain Resort's boundary, you are doing so at your own risk.  Ski Patrol does not manage or mitigate the backcountry, and significant hazards exist. If you would like more information, check out Flathead Avalanche Center's current advisory. "Avalanche Warning is in effect, danger is High. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended."

Face coverings are required to be worn in the lift lines. Please have your mouth and nose covered at all times. Respect your fellow skiers, riders and mountain employees and we can all do our part to keep the season going!

If you are looking to travel uphill, you must follow our uphill routes on designated timeframes. Please see out Uphill Policy page for more info.

Events:

Tonight is the 2nd week of Wednesday Night SkiMo League! To register or for more information, check out our events page here.

The Depot Terrain Park opened yesterday. Fun little jumps for all!

snowreport: thu jan 14, 2021
howdy all

wow! a beautiful bluebird day, but I stayed home. really wanted to go up, but had a feeling it is

still not good, so rode my bike cause the roads are good and there are some icy spots where

I have to be careful to walk over it. today really felt like a nice spring day and the mountain is done...

I hope we get back on track and get some snow and heal the ice...

here is the big's snowreport...

Deep thoughts by Pat*:

11:30 AM:

Flower point is Open! Electronic info boards have the most current info. 

10:00 AM:

Beautiful views abound today! Groomers are great, snow set up pretty nicely on the corduroy. Off-piste, I didn’t even try and I don’t recommend it. Crisp and clear, wear warm clothes. It is always a treat to get sun in the Flathead!

8:00 AM:

Chairs 11 and 5 will be delayed opening this morning. Chair 8 will not be open.

Chair 2, 3, 6, and 9 will open at 0900. Chairs 1 and 7 plan to open at 0930. 

6:00 AM Report:

The stars were out on the drive up this morning. I am excited to ski some corduroy in the sun and excited for photography with good light and big views! There is a west wind about 10 mph and we are expecting a high temperature near 19 degrees up top. For current visibility, check out our summit panoramacam here.

Warren Miller would describe the snow as "hard pack granular." Recent weather pushed the reset button so to speak. I am excited to go out but I do not think I am going to ski off trail today. Off-piste terrain most likely has a serious storm crust and very hard packed snow.

Groomers were excited about the corduroy overnight and reported grooming 56 trails. Check below or our summit electronic info boards for groomed trails. The cold helped grooming ops, but widespread grooming irregularities may exist today so ski and ride in control! Always be able to stop and avoid obstacles. 

Ski and ride in control and have a blast!

howdy

FVSEF hosts ski racing at resort Jan. 16-17

by STAFF REPORT
Staff Report | January 6, 2021 1:00 AM

The Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation is hosting two days of junior ski racing at Whitefish Mountain Resort on Jan. 16-17.

The event, sponsored by Sportsman Ski Haus, will be for male and female U16-U19 (age 14 to 18) competitors. These races are part of the nationwide U.S. Ski & Snowboard Association’s nationwide competition calendar. The competitors will be vying to qualify for Western Region championship events to be held at Mammoth Mountain, California, and Schweitzer, Idaho, in March.

The events are sanctioned within the Northern Division of the United States Ski & Snowboard Association. The Northern Division includes all of Montana and parts of Wyoming and South Dakota. Competitors for these events will be coming from ski clubs from throughout Montana including Anaconda, Big Sky, Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Great Falls, Helena and Missoula as well as the Flathead Valley.

The United States Ski & Snowboard Association is the governing body for all amateur ski racing in the United States, as well as the US Ski Team that competes throughout the world every winter.

Both races will be Giant Slaloms held on Ed’s Run starting at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 16 and 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 17. The race courses are accessed by Chair 2 and can be easily viewed from the Upper Base Area near Ed and Mully’s Restaurant.

The weekend events will be preceded by slalom races for the same field of competitors at Blacktail Mountain Ski Area on Jan. 14 and 15.

Eight junior skiers representing the Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation will be competing in these events.

FVSEF is a nonprofit community-based organization that has been supporting student athletes in the region since 1973.

Volunteers are needed for a number of on-hill duties for both events. All volunteers will receive a lift ticket if needed for race course access on race days as well as a complementary lift voucher that can be used anytime later this season.

For more information or to volunteer, please contact Tim Hinderman at 406-885-2730 or tim.hinderman@fvsef.org

snowreport: fri jan 15, 2021
howdy all

ugh! icy crumbly used up snow over hard ice. high overcast and calm winds with a little falling snow.

not crowded cause of crappy conditions and I thought the backside would be ok, but the backside

sucked too. made a few runs and called it early. I will skip the weekend so see you guys on Monday.

looks like something is coming in from the pacific, but is it more rain or snow?… I suggest you guys

start drinking heavily… welcome all and have fun...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11...