Note to New Members ×

2021 Montucky Clear CUT February 1-4, 2021

dredman

Might be over thinking it...

the trail rating system isn't universal; it's relative to the mountain.
A diamond run in Jackson hole isn't exactly the same as a diamond run in local Golf club/ski slope.

Might be meaningless to compare trail from one mountain to another.
condition/grooming/width/crowd and etc are all factor when it comes to how difficult a trail is.

That being say:
lots of people went to MCC/ride Turner mountain happen to also have ride Aspen in the past.
Need an anchor point for frame of reference.
Mind you mainly interested in how steep the runs in Tuner are in comparison.
Steepness/pitch dispersion/run out/camber (double fault line) all play a part to trail dynamic.

Maybe a better way is to ask is there a rough mapping:
This run in Turner kind remind me that run in Aspen.
or 
If i am comfortable on this trial in Aspen; then most of Tuner would be enjoyable.
or
Just nut up and ride

Hey it's summer; i don't even remember how to put my boots on.  Hence the jittery lol...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pow4ever said:

lots of people went to MCC/ride Turner mountain happen to also have ride Aspen in the past.

Think Gunbarrel at Highlands, just narrower. I seem to recall some guy in orange doing "Ancient Egyptian" poses while slaying that run. Maybe you know him? 😉

I loved my 14/15m sidecut board at all of the Aspen mountains. I had more fun on a 12m sidecut board at Turner. Just a little more selection of where I could be on the run with the tighter sidecut. 

• Haha 1

Thank you Mario and Corey!  Great info.
Mental game is weak here lol... 
Love love Highland Gun barrel when the condition is right but just thinking about the straight liners gives me the shudder... 
Not have to worry about that would be pretty amazing..

Thank you Corey on the steep clinic and being kind! I will do my best to demonstrate what not to do.  reverse Egyptian move:  leg stiff and bending at the waist is my signature lol..
Awesome point/tips on board selection.

On 8/20/2020 at 7:46 PM, pow4ever said:

Might be over thinking it...

the trail rating system isn't universal; it's relative to the mountain.
A diamond run in Jackson hole isn't exactly the same as a diamond run in local Golf club/ski slope.

Might be meaningless to compare trail from one mountain to another.
condition/grooming/width/crowd and etc are all factor when it comes to how difficult a trail is.

That being say:
Steepness/pitch dispersion/run out/camber (double fault line) all play a part to trail dynamic.

Maybe a better way is to ask is there a rough mapping:
This run in Turner kind remind me that run in Aspen.
or 
If i am comfortable on this trial in Aspen; then most of Tuner would be enjoyable.
or
Just nut up and ride

Hey it's summer; i don't even remember how to put my boots on.  Hence the jittery lol...

You won't have a bad time.  Some of the runs can be intimidating, but once you get the flow of the mountain its fine.  There is this one run you could probably drive 6 semis down side by side.  I would classify it as a mellow blue in Colorado terms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Every run at Turner is doable. But it's unlikely you will ride top to bottom without stopping. Was able to do it on 4th day. Not having to worry about being clipped from behind is the real bonus and not having to constantly looking over your shoulder takes some getting used to. Half way up unload is nice the first few runs so nerves don't play games with your head. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AcousticBoarder said:

First year I brought my fiance who had 6 days on a snowboard total before the trip. She made it down alive, I'm sure you will too! 

Thank you for the vote of confidence.  I can tumble down most trail just that it wont' be pretty lol

Jokes goes:

"A Texan walks into a pub in Ireland and clears his voice to the crowd of drinkers. He says, “I hear you Irish are a bunch of hard drinkers. I’ll give $500 American dollars to anybody in here who can drink 10 pints of Guinness back-to-back.”

The room is quiet and no one takes up the Texan’s offer. One man even leaves. Thirty minutes later the same gentleman who left shows back up and taps the Texan on the shoulder. “Is your bet still good?”, asks the Irishman.

The Texan says yes and asks the bartender to line up 10 pints of Guinness. Immediately the Irishman tears into all 10 of the pint glasses drinking them all back-to-back. The other pub patrons cheer as the Texan sits in amazement.

The Texan gives the Irishman the $500 and says, “If ya don’t mind me askin’, where did you go for that 30 minutes you were gone?”

The Irishman replies, “Oh…I had to go to the pub down the street to see if I could do it first”.

Just maybe i should be doing a bit better with how long i been doing it lol...

Got a few injury to work through:  knee/shoulder... getting older stink.  recovery took forever.  Yea; that's my excuse for the day lol...

memorabilia from my first ever carving session 2008:  was still on soft boot at the time but that session did change snowboarding from a winter past time to a life long pursuit of the ever elusive carve.

JA7d967.jpg

Here is to making new memory with old friend and making new one.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 8:47 PM, pow4ever said:

memorabilia from my first ever carving session 2008:  was still on soft boot at the time but that session did change snowboarding from a winter past time to a life long pursuit of the ever elusive carve.

JA7d967.jpg

Here is to making new memory with old friend and making new one.

That is awesome Dave, that was the 1st ECES I ran. I remember picking up the voucher from Jeff Caron. Also remember that was the the ECES where you got your nickname as "Smiling Dave" because, well you were always smiling on snow, didn't matter the conditions or weather, always a great attitude. 

@dredman can you do me a favor and move the MCC just for me to Feb 13-20? 😉 I'll be out at Big Sky a week later and may also hit my fathers old stomping grounds Bridger Bowl. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words @GeoffV. It's the least I can do.

Much props/love/appreciation goes out to the event organizers present and past.
There are so many logistical nightmare to work through: The event team do it on their own personal time without expecting anything in return. 
Event planning: when/where, group sale, liability waivers, food menu
Lining up Clinics
Getting discount things(lift/lodging/freebie) for attendee
Help with demo, questions and etc
Not to mention taken time out of their own riding time to deal whatever fire drill is happening at the time.

Looking back:  i won a pair of bindings, brand new Donek, a whole new wardrobe curtesy of evil Sports/@Bobby Buggs

must be the el-cheapO in me to keep coming back for more lol..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...