Note to New Members ×

What will you do when the snow is gone?

SWriverstone

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start getting into shape for next season! Unfortunately I got out of shape this season due to a long bout with the flu, a horrible three months at work that left me little time to work out, and the general lack of snow in the Pac NW. No worries, I like to bike, hike, and soft-shell kayak during the warmer months, and have been known to hit the weight room.

Although I think I'm going to work on flexibility this summer... Gotta grab those edges during my turns! What should I do to that end - is it time I finally gave yoga a try?

Guest giorgio32123
Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

It also develops enough fiscal vacuum to suck all but the deepest pockets dry. Man, that's some expensive racing.

Then go cheaper. Champ Car generates the same downforce and year of you team starts only at $2mln. That includes tires for all races:D

Also Jordan and Minardi do not spend as much as Ferrari, Williams or McLaren. They also get secondary engines... well Jordan gets Toyota the best now.

Guest giorgio32123
Originally posted by Jack Michaud

I don't have the exact data handy, but based on what I know of <i>production</i> motorcycles such as the Suzuki GSXR1000, which puts nearly 150hp on the ground, weighs about 440 lbs, does the quarter mile in less than 10 seconds, then I would say yes, a factory GP bike which weighs less than 400 lbs and puts 250hp on the ground, <i>can</i> do 0-60 in 2.2seconds and regularly exceed 200mph on the straights. All without a roll cage or 7-point harness.

I don't know about 3 g's on the skidpad, but then again bikes don't have wings. An F1 car generates enough aerodynamic down-force that at 100mph it could drive upside-down on an inverted road.

That's nice. 3G? Check out Motreal race track (Circuit Gilles Villeneuve) turn 5 (3.3 G)here

By the way, at those speeds mass is not a factor anymore. Aerodynamics is. Your bike's 400lbs does not play much role anymore. The best at aerodynamics on F1 course today is Ferrari which is underpowered comparing to Honda (BAR or BARH these days). We are talking 900HP vs. 950HP (and about 1350 lbs weight with driver).

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

I remember when you made your own sportbike. You took your street bike, bought clip-ons, rearsets, a headlamp fairing, and expansion chambers, and installes it yourself. Also remember when the 750cc guys feared the RD350 Yamaha! Now there was the ultimate sound experience. The scream of a two stroke at 11,000 rpm sends shivers up my spine,combined with carrying the front wheel at 60 mph, was at that time, the ultimate experience. Now any idiot with 10 grand can do wheelies for a half mile. And drive up the cost of MY insurance.

FIRST bike at 15 1/2 with a permit was a 1976 Yamaha RD 400. $800 used and Green!Put bassani pipes on it with clip ons and rear sets and it was loud enuf to make a bold statement as a sophomore in Catholic school. I loved down shifting into 2nd and nailing it to wheelie past the preppie goofballs on Motobecane mopeds on the way to school. I am old and I wish I had a Sport Touring bike today cuz it's the perfect sunday weather for a cruise with the boyz. Happy Easter everybuddy. Braaaaaap! 2 strokes RULE!

post-123-141842203447_thumb.jpg

OK. The Trailskates are big skates with

mountainboards wheels. I'm was a skier

from 1974 - 2003 and i think the Trailskates will be the good thing in summer.

This is a small photo . All these equipment

from America (USA).

We(my home village www.reinatrase.lv) will be the dealer of Mountainboards and Trailskates in Latvia.

Good Luck Uldis

post-1292-141842203449_thumb.jpg

scott and holly - sweet gliding shots! i've always heard that is one of the highest death toll/rate sports - is that true? i have always wanted to do that - but always stayed away from it due to the "rumours" - (yeah - like being out on the streets on two wheels is any safer these days with all the distractions drivers have...)

-------- christian.

holly - let me know if/when you are in beantown - we'll go set some car alarms off in formation - then head up north to the mountains (not like you don't have enough in va/wva)

post-1734-141842203491_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by phillipsbro2

scott and holly - sweet gliding shots! i've always heard that is one of the highest death toll/rate sports - is that true? i have always wanted to do that - but always stayed away from it due to the "rumours" - (yeah - like being out on the streets on two wheels is any safer these days with all the distractions drivers have...)

Hey Christian!

Hang gliding got a really bad reputation in the early years... back when folks were making gliders in their garages based on plans in Popular Science and when folks were teaching themselves. Equipment has come a LONG way (CAD and wind tunnel testing) and U.S. Hang Gliding Association certified instructors make learning the sport much easier and safer.

Most accidents are associated with folks doing acrobatics (gliders are not designed/certified to handle the stresses associated with doing loops and such) or flying in bad conditions (using poor judgement and launching when the weather is deteriorating or when the winds are too strong and/or gusting). I've only been in the sport for 4 years and in that time, there have only been a handful of deaths nationwide. Folks do incur minor injuries from time to time when they land less than gracefully, but launch and landing skills can (and should) be practiced regularly in benign conditions at training hills (analogous to green beginner slopes) where you don't get much more than 5-10 feet off the ground for your total flight.

Originally posted by phillipsbro2

holly - let me know if/when you are in beantown - we'll go set some car alarms off in formation - then head up north to the mountains (not like you don't have enough in va/wva)

Awesome bike! If you're up for a road trip, you should head down to Mt Airy, NC at the end of this month and do the US Desmo Ducks Along the Blue Ridge ride. Its a GREAT event. Folks come from as far away as Canada and Texas. I usually ride my bike down there from VA (about a 7 hour trek, but the back roads I take are gorgeous). There's usually about 60-80 folks riding Ducs from all eras.

I've done it the last 3 years. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go this year because Scott and I are joining some friends for a week in the Outer Banks of NC that same weekend.

Would be great to join you for a ride and check out some new roads. I'll be sure to drop you a note if I'm going to be up in that area... likewise, drop me a note if you ever find yourself down here!

Holly