Note to New Members ×

What will you do when the snow is gone?

SWriverstone

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by willywhit

Scott, that is sick! Didn't you say that you lived in Brasil for awhile ? Did you get to hang glide there ? 8,000 feet is insane! You 2 rock~:eek:

LOL - no, I lived in Venezuela (Caracas). And I didn't even know what a hang glider was then. <grin> As for being aggro, Holly and I aren't really Xtreme-obsessed maniacs---we just like to look the part. We like lounging around the house watching TV too. :p

Scott

Originally posted by LeeW

Say, isn't that at VIR ? And isn't that a Ducati 748 (or 749R i hope?) ? SWEET!

The 749s are nice and I do wish I had one... I suppose on the upside, my 1999 748 came with the cool dzus fastners and adjustable steering head angle (which I think are only available stock on the non-street legal 749R??).

The shot was taken from a track day I did at Mid-Ohio Sportcar Course. The guy behind me is one of the instructors who pulled around me shortly after that shot was taken and totally schooled me.

Orginally posted by willywhit

8,000 feet is insane!

Yea... that was a great day. There were about a dozen gliders in the air and we all got to take our turn near the top of the stack. Probably my most memorable flight was one I took from Slide Mt, NV when I climbed up to 10,200 ft MSL (pretty low for that site considering launch is at about 9,000 ft MSL) and took in a spectacular view of Lake Tahoe.... my only Tahoe experience to date. Hopefully, next year, I'll be able to experience Tahoe from the snow covered slopes.

Holly

[stepping onto soapbox...]

Sportbike designs, IMO, have gone straight downhill in the past couple decades! The Japanese "ninja" concept (not referring to that specific bike) has permeated the whole sportbike world, and it's lame! I'm baffled at why every B5 (Billy Badass Butthead Biker Bully) thinks it's cool to ride a bike that sounds like a chainsaw and makes them look like an animated, spike-haired character from Yu-Gi-Oh cartoons!

DOWN with Japanese designs I say!!! DOWN with the "lightning bolt" as design concept! Let's have more elegant, sophisticated European designs! Just look at that Ducati 748 photo above---that design KILLS any Japanese design out there!

[...stepping off soapbox]

:D

Scott

PS - This message does not contain nor imply any criticism of any individuals in this forum, nor is it intended in any way as a prejudiced slur against Japanese people. Seriously.

ninja_ducati.jpg

Hey guys, be cool---I was only joking! :) I'll be the first to admit (as will most Duc owners) that Jap bikes are way more cost-effective to ride...and if I ever get a bike, it will most likely be a Jap bike!

I did make one mistake though---you're right---the latest Ducati designs suck too! :) Sad to see them succumb to the Yu-Gi-Oh wave... My rant referred to that 10-year-old 748 design.

Remember---it's a well-established fact that just because something is new, doesn't make it better. For example, that round headlight on your bike Jack is sweet! Sure, it may stink aerodynamically...but unless you only ride on a track, who cares? Do you really need that extra second of speed on the interstate? My point is that aesthetics count---design shouldn't be driven exclusively by function.

Actually, with the exception of the "viper" style headlight, I love the latest Honda Interceptor---that's a great-looking bike!

I think people tend be Jap bike fans or Euro bike fans. I'm a Euro bike fan. If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy a BMW R1100 in a heartbeat!

Scott

Originally posted by Stazi the Aussie

Bike design is driven by racing developed aerodynamics.

Not really. Race bike shapes are limited by what is attractive to the eye and what will move bikes out of dealership showrooms. If race bikes were designed with optimized aerodynamics, bikes would have big teardrop shaped fairings that extended out beyond the front wheel, and would be pretty fugly in general. Race bikes are actually quite un-aerodyanmic.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Not really. Race bike shapes are limited by what is attractive to the eye and what will move bikes out of dealership showrooms. If race bikes were designed with optimized aerodynamics, bikes would have big teardrop shaped fairings that extended out beyond the front wheel, and would be pretty fugly in general. Race bikes are actually quite un-aerodyanmic.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing---that the whole bike should be enclosed in a streamlined bubble (for minimum aerodynamic resistance). So until they start doing that, track bikers will have to be content with the massive amounts of drag their bikes create! LOL Just imagine how much faster you could go...with no increase in power... :)

Scott

I remember when you made your own sportbike. You took your street bike, bought clip-ons, rearsets, a headlamp fairing, and expansion chambers, and installes it yourself. Also remember when the 750cc guys feared the RD350 Yamaha! Now there was the ultimate sound experience. The scream of a two stroke at 11,000 rpm sends shivers up my spine,combined with carrying the front wheel at 60 mph, was at that time, the ultimate experience. Now any idiot with 10 grand can do wheelies for a half mile. And drive up the cost of MY insurance.

just teasing. that's a sweet bike. Ninjas have real ultimate power.

I just checked that link Jack (missed it before)...LOLOLOL!!! That's the funniest page I've seen in a long time. It's definitely going on the "friends distribution list!" :)

Excerpts...

I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town.

ROTFL!!!

Scott

I agree. They should have wings, dams and venturi channels all over the place.

The reason why they can't catch up with track race cars... second (and associated) reason is power/torque.

And I am not talking of comparisons with a street car. I am talking Champ Car, IRL, F1. Can you beat 2.2 sec to 60mph? Good. Can you do 100mph in 5sec? No? Can you make over 200mph on regular basis on straights? No??? Can you pull way over 3G on bend? No???

Now I do not say biking is not pleasant but small engine and gear development is the domain of motorcycles.

I don't have the exact data handy, but based on what I know of <i>production</i> motorcycles such as the Suzuki GSXR1000, which puts nearly 150hp on the ground, weighs about 440 lbs, does the quarter mile in less than 10 seconds, then I would say yes, a factory GP bike which weighs less than 400 lbs and puts 250hp on the ground, <i>can</i> do 0-60 in 2.2seconds and regularly exceed 200mph on the straights. All without a roll cage or 7-point harness.

I don't know about 3 g's on the skidpad, but then again bikes don't have wings. An F1 car generates enough aerodynamic down-force that at 100mph it could drive upside-down on an inverted road.

on your rear tire on the sidewall. Don't tell me to get a real bike pal until you're able to power slide past me and use up all your rubber. I used to trash guys on bigger bikes i.e. GSXR 750's, FZR1000's, ZX7's on various types of roads, especially in the tight stuff. Any monkey can hang on and go fast in a straight line, it takes skill and balls to out corner someone. I didn't need horsepower to make up for short comings in other areas, for me or my bike. Out of the 8 bikes I owned, built, tuned and "roadraced" (Ninja 600 (2), CBR600, FZR600, GT650, GSXR750 (2), FZR1000), the most fun was my Hawk. BTW "squid" is a roadracing term, not a drag racing term.

Jack thanks, a man who knows his bikes calls them correctly by name (RC31) The only thing I didn't do was the paint (although it was my design) All the fabricating, installation and design was by yours truly, no kit parts.

John Dahl, I didn't read your post before putting up mine, but your right. Any bonehead with enough cash can buy a cookie cutter bike and go faster than he outta be allowed. I'm afraid the days of building a bike from the ground up, respecting it and really getting to know it are gone :(

Have fun,

Paul

Originally posted by ar(angel

on your rear tire on the sidewall.

oooh, hadn't noticed the chicken-strips! burn!!

Hey Stazi, I'll race you on my other bike!!

Jack thanks, a man who knows his bikes calls them correctly by name (RC31) The only thing I didn't do was the paint (although it was my design)

It came out great. Someone on the Hawk list posted this once:

http://tinypic.com/2ceb8l