Note to New Members ×

What will you do when the snow is gone?

SWriverstone

Originally posted by LeeW

keep me post on how those husky motard goes. Im debating between a yammie tz250, Derbi 125 (yes its gonna be available in US), and that husky but in 450 motard.

Lee

PS I assume you meant youre on a waiting list to get it ?

Hi Lee,

What are looking for, a street 'tard or a track 'tard?

I've got a Yamaha 250F for the track, the 610 will be my street moto.

I put money down on the Husky on Saturday. It won't be here for a couple more months. Although since it's coming from Italy, who knows when it will actually arrive.

Pop over to my forums if you've got more supemoto or bike related questions, we've got a fairly active supermoto section.

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com

Ride safe!

Dave

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mphdemon

I'll be working most of the time :( . but otherwise I intend to do plenty of biking, road and/or mountain, some rowing (www.row2k.com). And later on when I finally finish work for the summer I plan on doing plenty of windsurfing and sailing my hobiecat. I also want to try to break into kiteboarding but not sure where or how. I'll be in and around Long Island (also a little bit on Cape Cod), please let me know if you know of anywhere that I can rent or borrow kiteboarding equipment in that area. Oh and can't forget surfing while I'm down there, gotta do something to make me feel like I'm snowboarding.:D

Originally posted by Speedzilla

Hi Lee,

What are looking for, a street 'tard or a track 'tard?

I've got a Yamaha 250F for the track, the 610 will be my street moto.

I put money down on the Husky on Saturday. It won't be here for a couple more months. Although since it's coming from Italy, who knows when it will actually arrive.

Pop over to my forums if you've got more supemoto or bike related questions, we've got a fairly active supermoto section.

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com

Ride safe!

Dave

me? definitly a track 'tard. still reluctant to ride a motorcycle on the highway considering the "versus issues with 18 wheelers." say, isn't your yammie 250F a two stroke ? and huskie's not too particularly common that Im more or less restricted to certain shop that carry their parts, etc. And is it wise to even give it a shot to convert a 250 two strokes dirt to a track 'tard ?

Guest giorgio32123
Originally posted by John Gilmour

I know a good autocross set at Ft. Devens,MA

anyone up for that? Over 50 turns per run.

Lots of interesting HP cars there.

Actually if this is as turny then you do not need any HP car. What is more HP car will disturb you as you will have to:

1) Adjust throttle to be less sensitive.

2) or have extremely sensitive feet and drive car extremely carefully around its curve peeks (torque and power).

What decides on turny courses is suspension of the car and most of regular cars (even HP) has shi.ty suspension anyway... unless tuned properly. Folks rather add wings, turbo and nitro rather than think of proper suspension and tires. They burn rubber overheating tires and then they lose control on bends when grip at speed is required. Technique for dirt... not for asphalt.

mphdemon, we're on the cape alot in the summer kitesurfing. Mainly Hyannis but west dennis on SW and the bayside(chapin/mayflower) on a north. You're welcome to tag along and try a trainer kite and work your way up to the BIG BOY kites. OR you could throw down $$$ for lessons but you're a student I think and it would make more sense to just buy us beer. PLUS, we've got a sweet Yamaha Jetboat(LX210-http://www.ccpowersports.com/jetboats.html) to come get yer arse when you've been blown way down wind. check out http://www.capecodkitesurfing.com/Events.htm and email me from BOL or call 617 233 BILL(2455) on my cell. NATE ? is that you rockin' roll in ???NICE....

Originally posted by LeeW

me? definitly a track 'tard. still reluctant to ride a motorcycle on the highway considering the "versus issues with 18 wheelers." say, isn't your yammie 250F a two stroke ? and huskie's not too particularly common that Im more or less restricted to certain shop that carry their parts, etc. And is it wise to even give it a shot to convert a 250 two strokes dirt to a track 'tard ?

Nope, the 250F is a four stroke. You can certainly convert a 2-stroke into a supermoto and run it on the track, although a four stroke is much more desirable.

The Huskys are probably more common than you'd think, there is a dealer not far from me, and you can also get parts online.

This is an old photo of my 250F, taken after I mounted up the wheels. It has changed a lot in the past year.

daves-wr250f.jpg

SW, that's awesome. I used to watch the guys at Fort Funston in San Fran and yearn to learn. Is it "hang gliding' or "soaring" ? Much different dynamic tho. Kitesurfing feels like a puppet on 4 strings slingshotting off the water. Not the hawk like soaring you've shown us. How long did it take to get to that photo ? It's really big in Brasil.

Scott, that's a rocking photo.

I've only done tandem but it was SO much fun. I'd love to do it again but there are so many things to do, and so little time ...

Hope you and Holly have a great summer. Our snow season is still rocking along here - off to Banff this weekend to try and catch up with Neil. Have to take any opportunity you can to meet other carvers at this end of the world!

Willywhit---we call it hang gliding or just flying for short. In our sport, "soaring" is the term used when you stay aloft for an hour or more riding ridge lift or rising thermals. Alas, not all flights are soaring flights---we also do what we call "sleds," where (you guessed it) you launch and glide straight to the ground! ("Soaring" is also typically used to describe flying in sailplanes.)

Speedzilla and Allee - yes, I soared that ridge for around 90 minutes when that photo was taken---I only landed 'cause it was getting dark! :) When conditions are right, wind coming across the valley flows up that ridge, creating a wide band of lift that you can just boat around in for hours---it's a blast. More challenging is flying over flatlands, where you've got to seek out and exploit thermals---rising columns of warm air. It's not uncommon for pilots to stay up for 4-6 hours or more.

Learning to hang glide: - I started training in April 2003, and that photo was taken in October of 2004...so it was a little over a year before my first high flight. Training is typically either done on a low training hill (learning footlaunched flight) or at tow parks, where you're pulled into the air on tow lines. I did both, a great way to do it! You just take baby steps first---flights that last 10-15 seconds and only 10-15 feet off the ground. Then work your way up from there. If anyone's interested, email me and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction!

Holly is more experienced than I am---she's flown up to altitudes (above ground level) of 8,000'. :)

Scott

Originally posted by sic t 2

That pic is just awesome SWriverstone. You get kudos from me for the best pic I've ever seen posted here. Must be a great sport. Always promised myself I would do it some day.

sic

Thanks sic --- wish I could take credit for the photo, but it was taken by another pilot who was flying above/behind me...I just lucked out! :) Holly was flying there too---here's a pic of her...

holly_woodstock.jpg

Scott