Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood gates this weekend!

Treebeard

Well after the season crashed to a covid close back in March; will be hitting the glacier this weekend for some gate training with Meadows Race Team at Timberline. Set a bucket list goal to qualify for USASA nationals this last season after turning 50 and what had been a 25 year snowboarding hiatus until the 2018-2019 season. Hung up the ski coaching responsibilities this last season to concentrate fully on getting a used SG SL and GS board under control and make the cut for Copper; mission accomplished. Was super bummed when Copper was cancelled so time to start training for the upcoming season.

Want to put a huge shout out to the AS community for all the stoke and advice. This is an amazing resource. Also to my local brothers J Burke and Doc Schindler two local Portland hardbooters who always bring the stoke and are ready to go tear up Meadows.

A good day ripping the corn with Doc and a mid day pit stop this season.

IMG958842.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately gonna be with 30 ski racers in a paid camp and not gonna be open to public. However, if there was enough interest next summer I have the commitment from the program director that we could run an alpine snowboard training camp on the glacier. Would need to schedule lane space in late spring, I have access to all the gates we would need here in Hood River.

• Like 1

Keep us updated.  My son and I have done High Cascade and had a blast out there.  He is mainly focused on boardercross but after a few races in hard boots he is seeing the light.  He attends a mountain school for snowboarding and is getting pretty good.  He and several other team mates want to focus more on GS and SL and having a few days mid summer could be enough to lure us from Maine.

JNG, thanks for your reply. I would have loved to put an alpine camp together this summer at Hood and would have had the support of the Meadows Race Team. The bug really put a weird twist on the season but Timberline pulled it together and has apparantly been a solid summer of training up there other than some rough weather in June. I understand the USST has been training on the glacier for the first time in a long time due to international travel restrictions.

Soooo I will put the call out this early coming spring to gage interest in a race training focused camp. We also have some former Olympian snowboard racers here in Hood River that I could reach out to gage interest in coaching. Otherwise it would be ski racing coaches. If a light response then could probably jump in on MRT ski racing camp.

Sean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...