Note to New Members ×

Best Ski town/mountain town to live full time 2020+

pow4ever

With remote work become the norm and summer heat.  Mind tends to drift and day dream....
Looking for year around outdoor activity(snowboard/running/skateboard/hiking); low humidity in the summer.
Access to fast internet, variety of food/great grocery, relative cheap cost of living(unlikely now a day).

Any hidden gems that you are willing to share?

Baslat Co.  Expensive but easy access to Aspen and it's a real town
Ogden Ut
Park City Ut
June Lake/Mammoth, Reno, NV/Lake Tahoe
Driggs/Victor, ID
etc.

Ha... back to work before the thought police catch me...

Nice.  More day dreaming material 🙂
Hard to beat Colorado for sure.  Thank you jrazz and sloperstar!

Get a plot of land; grow my own food.  i did play Stardew Valley; does that count 😉
Live off the grid-ish:  green, solar, ICF home.  Starlink from starX will be available in the near future.

On the flip side:  I tend to romanticized about these type of thing.
For those who are living the dream:  what are some of the down side just to serve as grounding rod.

Whitefish looks pretty sweet, year-round recreation in the Flathead Valley there.  We thought about buying property there when the US real estate market bottomed out but it turned around before we could swing it.  Now the prices aren't low enough to justify the PITA of owning US property.

• Like 1

We have a great amount of equity in our home and would love to find property that is on grid but where we could benefit from an off grid lifestyle. Minimalist living, lots of property, water, good growing season and accessible to fishing, hunting, etc... something that checks all the boxes for today and the possibility (likelihood) of a systematic Infrastructure collapse.... We are not going to wait for everything to go to shit without a plan so we are actively pursuing options NOW. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slopestar said:

We have a great amount of equity in our home and would love to find property that is on grid but where we could benefit from an off grid lifestyle. Minimalist living, lots of property, water, good growing season and accessible to fishing, hunting, etc... something that checks all the boxes for today and the possibility (likelihood) of a systematic Infrastructure collapse.... We are not going to wait for everything to go to shit without a plan so we are actively pursuing options NOW. 

get out of my head lol.  Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

I was looking at this the other day:
https://www.missilebases.com/

5 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Whitefish looks pretty sweet, year-round recreation in the Flathead Valley there.  We thought about buying property there when the US real estate market bottomed out but it turned around before we could swing it.  Now the prices aren't low enough to justify the PITA of owning US property.

That is a pretty town.  Thanks for sharing!  It doesn't have to be in US.
I would think the dollar/CAD stretch farther when we go path that's less travel. 

I've had my eye on Sandpoint, ID for awhile. It's next to Schweitzer and a massive lake for summer activities. It's still cheaper than Colorado, but substantially more when I first started thinking about that area years ago. 

• Like 2

I've been considering buying some kind of a camper van, large enough to live in a week at a time; for just such a reason. If I'm going to work from home all the time, I wouldn't mind it if home were somewhere far from home every now and again.

• Like 2

You can not beat Maine for price and ease of use of the mountain. Go out west, spend a fortune, be a half hour away from the mountain. Go to Maine, spend less, be able to ride a few runs before work... 

I can get a meeting warning notification at the top of Sugarloaf and be at my desk to make that meeting taking a shuttle home. I paid way under $100k for my (small) place. 

Sure, the conditions are better out west but the crowds and prices are insane. I will take lesser conditions and lesser crowds every day of the week. 

I lived out west for a year so it's not like I haven't been out there.

• Like 3

On 7/8/2020 at 7:54 PM, trailertrash said:

You can not beat Maine for price and ease of use of the mountain. Go out west, spend a fortune, be a half hour away from the mountain. Go to Maine, spend less, be able to ride a few runs before work... 

I can get a meeting warning notification at the top of Sugarloaf and be at my desk to make that meeting taking a shuttle home. I paid way under $100k for my (small) place. 

Sure, the conditions are better out west but the crowds and prices are insane. I will take lesser conditions and lesser crowds every day of the week. 

I lived out west for a year so it's not like I haven't been out there.

Nailed it!  CO is great.  CA...surfing in the AM and riding in the afternoon is great, if you can get through the traffic.  UT, ID, WA, OR, MT...all great.  But Maine might not have as many places, but I'll put Sugarloaf against most mountains on a good day and on an average day...if you have to wait more than 3 chairs you get upset.  Cost of living for a eastern top rated resort is very reasonable.  Having grown up in VT, compared to what you get for the mountain it isn't even close.  Way more acreage, more vert, and with the coming additional expansion it won't even be close.  Killington wishes it had the terrain the Loaf does.  

Internet is reliable.  Flagstaff lake is a few minutes away ( just got a wing so I plan on being on the lake on the wind hold days snow wing kiting.), lots of streams to fish or take a cool plunge in and the mountain biking is quickly becoming known as one of the few places in New England that can rival Kingdom Trials in northern VT.    Want to grow your own food...just have to watch out for bears.  Want to grow your own pot, watch out for the stoned bears.  Want to be on the coast, 2.5 hours away from salt water and you can be at Logan Airport in Boston to fly anywhere in the world in 4 hours.  

If you can't tell, I really love where I live.  Pow4ever- you know how to find me when you are up at the Loaf.  You need to stop day dreaming and give your local friend who also happens to be a real estate broker a call and I can hook you up! 😉  

Enjoy the day dreaming!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 1:02 AM, Dan said:

I've had my eye on Sandpoint, ID for awhile. It's next to Schweitzer and a massive lake for summer activities. It's still cheaper than Colorado, but substantially more when I first started thinking about that area years ago. 

Better get here soon, the equity refugees are coming in herds with their guns and trump flags:smashfrea

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you Dan! Sandpoint ID looks great.

@queequeg #vandweller is a great idea.  Been looking for a 2006 Sprinter 158 High Top for class B. 
Those things can get expensive really quick.  borrow/Rent one is a cheaper way to test the water before fully committed is what I was told.

Thank you TT and VTHops! 
Great feedback from ppl actually living the dream
Trying to keep it a secret 😉
I am a huge fan of Sugarloaf.  The mountain is great but the best part are the people!
Afraid that I might actually run away and join the circus if I look at Carrabassett area too closely. 
Some really nice deals to be had.

On 7/6/2020 at 12:10 PM, slopestar said:

We checked out Pagosa Springs and surrounding areas. Wolf Creek being the mountain of choice... we need 5 acres with  well water or access to a water source other than city

South Fork is there too.   The road from Pagosa to Wolf Creek is much more likely to close than the one from South Fork.  That is one of the reasons I stay in South Fork.  South Fork is super low key.  Grocery store closes in the early evening type of town.

• Like 1

If the boarder ever opens again check out Salmo BC. Super low key equal distance from Red MT in Rosland and Whitewater half way between Salmo and Nelson close to Us boarder. It was also the home to many US war protesters ( Forgive me for political content  Lurch ) If your looking for like minded off grid this is the place. Salmo also has a community ski hill open at nite for kids to enjoy. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, davekempmeister said:

South Fork is there too.   The road from Pagosa to Wolf Creek is much more likely to close than the one from South Fork.  That is one of the reasons I stay in South Fork.  South Fork is super low key.  Grocery store closes in the early evening type of town.

Good to know. I liked South Fork but it seemed like if one of us needed medical attention we would likely be transported to Pagosa... something to consider... we are keeping our eyes and ears open for sure.