Siberian heat wave alarms scientists

west carven

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

On a bright note, if all the climate people are correct, we will get to do more snowboarding....

I am going to guess some might ask "What is he talking about? The earth is getting warmer won't help snowboarding". And, as a matter of fact, if the models some predict about warming are to come true, it will indeed get more snowy. 

If it gets warmer, the ice melts. The melted ice adds less saline water to the ocean, which jams up the oceans conveyor belts.  Without these oceanic flows, it gets colder....  much colder... if fact, it happened a mere 12,000 years ago. When it gets colder we keep more snow and more tracks are made....   So there is a bright note here...

I will let the scientists explain the conveyor belt, as they are better at this than I am...
https://loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=15-P13-00013&segmentID=3

If you don't like my source, google "earth ocean conveyor belt" and there will be a source you like I am sure...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TVR said:

On a bright note, if all the climate people are correct, we will get to do more snowboarding....

I am going to guess some might ask "What is he talking about? The earth is getting warmer won't help snowboarding". And, as a matter of fact, if the models some predict about warming are to come true, it will indeed get more snowy. 

If it gets warmer, the ice melts. The melted ice adds less saline water to the ocean, which jams up the oceans conveyor belts.  Without these oceanic flows, it gets colder....  much colder... if fact, it happened a mere 12,000 years ago. When it gets colder we keep more snow and more tracks are made....   So there is a bright note here...

I will let the scientists explain the conveyor belt, as they are better at this than I am...
https://loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=15-P13-00013&segmentID=3

If you don't like my source, google "earth ocean conveyor belt" and there will be a source you like I am sure...

Reading the whole reference I don't get quite the same impression as TVR. But it was an interesting read. Thanks for linking it.

Yes, the last ice age in Europe was caused by melting of huge quantities of ice and snow, of N. American ice sheet. The cold water stopped the flow of the warm Gulf Current, which keeps W and N Europe warm. It could happen again. 

I'm not sure if the Pacific NW and Alaska are susceptible to the same phenomenon. Our currents come from the NW and are cold. Still might be better than no current, though. 

howdy

I understand what TVR is talking about, but for that to happen it will be a long time and we will be long gone by then. as for the near future as in this winter, this past winter was not good with milder temps all season and last summer wasn't as hot as this summer and we still have August and September. I am guessing we will have another mild winter. the solar maximum is predicted for 2025 so we are in for more hot summers.

Been farming for 40 + years and have never been able to predict anything with any certainty. If it's cold enough to go snowboarding in the winter i do . If not then there is always something that needs to be fixed and the weather is never one of them ! 

greenland ice melt is already affecting the gulfstream in the N atlantic

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/ocean/surface/currents/orthographic=-50.11,21.13,347

and check out the particulates ie smoke in the pnw

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/particulates/surface/level/overlay=pm2.5/orthographic=-110.11,35.31,347

Edited by b0ardski

• 2 weeks later...