Note to New Members ×

Anybody Committed to a 20/21 Season Pass?

barryj

Considering Covid seems to be here indefinitely and our government wants to pretend it's not.......just wondering what people are thinking for next winter....have you already purchased your next season  pass or have you decided  to not purchase a pass? 

I'm on the fence,  Mountain Collective seems a good deal ..if you want to get out of town and connect a few resorts..............but social distancing seems much more problematic and risky  away from home under the current restrictions....... so probably just buy my local mtn. pass again and hope for the best!

The Epic folks have delayed taking deposits for auto-renewals, offered a credit for last season and give you cancellation insurance for free.  I'm going to renew for the family as soon as it becomes available and hope for the best.   I need something to look forward to this summer.

Got a bunch of sleds in the barn. Thinking of hauling some out this summer to prep for winter. Maybe recruit some bored city folk to haul me up the hill with a long social distancing rope. Local bump not very good at planning how to run things when times are good have no faith they will handle this situation any better. Over the last few years they have removed 5 Tbars (the perfect social distancing lift in my opinion) My other option is to groom some trails  on the farm with my Skidozer and charge for private outings. That would mean i'd have to build an outdoor loo that could be cleaned without imperiling my health . Sorry lurch no slide through. Not in a hurry to purchase. It will be nice to see resorts having to woo me rather than screw me for a change !

Bought the east coast pass-- considering recent transmission studies on the virus it appears there is not a massive risk so long as one stays outdoors the entire time (no lodge), wears a proper mask while riding, and takes other common sense precautions.  So for me, if the resorts are open I will be there--but I will not be in the lodges if at all possible short of a vaccine, etc.  I have no faith in people being responsible in this inside environment.  

I actually expect this coming season--assuming good conditions--to be excellent riding as the unemployment / underemployment situation combined with all the other societal factors ongoing might mean far less crowds.  

I not only purchased the pass for my son and I for 20/21 season, I also already purchased lodging for the 20/21 Nationals at Copper for my son's racing. If you pay with a card, it makes no difference what the policy is for cancellation. The Fair Credit Billing Act (https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/credit/fair-credit-billing-act) is a law that regulates the credit card industry, but moreover, also regulates those who accept cards for payments.

Rocky Mountain Management Resort company and specifically Jeffrey DePaola attempted to keep the moneys from my reservation for this past cancelled Nationals at Copper and I simply processed it through my card and received 100% of my funds back. He did the typical strong arm tactics of threatening I would receive nothing  if I didn't accept a 50% voucher and I simply know the law and stated no, and have since ensured all know his companies practices. No one can be charged for either products or services they are unable or unwilling to provide. It makes no difference if it is from a pandemic, and makes no difference if the provider is legally no longer able to provide those services. It also makes no difference what the cancellation policy is, providing it is the merchant that cancels, and not the card holder, and the card holder is still willing to accept goods or services paid for. 

Anyway, I am also not worried about a resurgence of COVID, and the pass for the loaf, Sunday River and Loon have thus far been a very fair company to do business with. 

I'll probably buy one for the local hill here this season again. Travel plans for next year mean I'll probably be staying close to home this winter, and since I moved across town it's taken a chunk of time out of my commute ... nice.

3 hours ago, TVR said:

Anyway, I am also not worried about a resurgence of COVID, and the pass for the loaf, Sunday River and Loon have thus far been a very fair company to do business with. 

"Not worried that there will be a resurgence" or Not worried because you can handle it if there is ?

I've totally given up boarding for 20-21.  Having serious doubts about 21-22 the way this great nation of individualists are going to refuse to give a damn about anyone.  Only hope is for all the states to get on board and follow New Zealands lead.  Fat chance.

I hope your states can get on board too but the same problem exists in Canada. While we listened to science and politicians and allowed the Dr's to call the shots when things looked bad, once thing leveled out there doesn't seem to be an actual plan that defines which way things will go if results are good or bad. Trying to reel in bad behavior has been a problem. The questioning of whether millions of dollars in fines is the right way to control peoples behavior has been a topic of late and i question if you can risk the attack of more institutions of our society given the pressure many institutions are under already. Carrot, Stick or Sledgehammer. Never imagined Science and Politics could become such a divisive subjects with an educated or enlightened society. Is there a neutral third party anywhere in the world who could spell it out to everyone what is happening and needs to happen that everyone would listen to ? Interesting you  mention hope because my wife and i had a discussion last nite and i said there can only be hope because hope is just" that". I have hope for next season just no expectation of one that is safe enough to satisfy me. If i lived in Seattle maybe i'd feel differently.

Ikon for me and my college aged boys.  Stratton is more or less my home mountain and we typically take a few trips.  Even with the abrupt seasons end it was still worth it.

Oh, and I'll still get the Mountain Creek pass for when I'm slumming it in NJ. 👍

Edited by Kneel

On 6/24/2020 at 10:53 AM, boardguru said:

Already bought passes for PowMow online back in March. Looking forward to some winter surfing fun once they open.

Let's go riding, room to roam at Powmow. New Contra on the way, bowing to the master Bruce. The Dupraz is eagely waiting if it snows too f***ing much! Big Invite this season to my mountain. Powder Mountain. Kipp, come up and teach me something. 

• Like 1

EPIC.  Nothing else to do around here in the winter so we are hoping for the best.  Eagle county has been open for a while now and Vail village almost looks business as usual at this point.  Lots of out of staters and some international travelers around.  Our hospital is back to a full schedule of elective surgeries. Things look promising.  If things don't go as hoped we will be in the market for a used snowmobile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are quite optimistic given the news and the realities of crowded lodges. I’m writing off the season but plan to hit montucky and maybe whitefish in same trip. Basically anywhere where the crowds aren’t. Will probably miss my annual trip to Sun Peaks as I don’t expect Canada to welcome yanks. 

Let's be honest for a moment... The current theory as I understand it is that most transmission is by airborne particles. These do well inside but not outside. If (and I realize these are some pretty big ifs) people can commit to wearing masks, staying apart, and not having a lodge we *might* have some semblance of a season. Additionally, it's likely that travel would still be a problem so the resorts might be less full. 

If not I can always postpone the pass. In the meantime I'm keeping the resorts I like afloat which increases the likelihood of me riding there again.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 10:28 PM, Shred Gruumer said:

Buying Whitefish pass.. WTF trip is booked and plane tickets bought while it was dirt cheap... Most resorts offer full refund if it gets stupid again. 

Sounds like a solid plan but i'm guessing the border will be closed to me so probably not going to get a return visit to WF. Damn that's a fine place to visit!

• Like 1