Note to New Members ×

Hardboot Carving worth watching

Lurch

Two things amaze me about those articles:

1. That us humans can achieve these precision movements with completely artificial tools, on completely artificial snow, in an arbitrary setting, with a body and brain with randomly selected adaptations/errors over a very long time. 

2. That someone can pick up those tiny details and share them so others can get better with our artificial and arbitrary setting. 

We are amazing creatures. 

So, at a 30,000' level: Racing style is braking (controlling speed) without changing the desired arc radius? That completely makes sense given the sport! Yes, I realize that's the grossest of gross simplifications. 

"Computers are just rocks we tricked into thinking by trapping lighting in it." 

When we distill thing to its essence -- simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

It's amazing scholar/engineer/scientist/mathematician can explain the how things work(in the context of carving) but hard to beat the raw talent/intuition.

engineer can build fighter jet but not many can make "top gun".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colozeus said:
  • Lagging outside shoulder on heelside?
  • Not enough articulation at hips which is why it looks like i'm just kind of tipping from one turn into another?
  • I should probably stack a bit more towards the nose and initiate the transitions earlier.

Is the outside shoulder lagging, or is the board gradually getting ahead creating the appearance of a lagging shoulder?

There is a prevalent perception that one needs to actually ‘get’ onto the nose of the board to initiate a turn. This is essentially false. Rather, one needs to remain in an effective location tip to tail as the board rolls from edge to edge, in order to make use of the bend that develops.

Perception being what it is, it’s easy to mistake the pressure that develops under the lead foot  as something that needs to be sought by way of forward movement, rather than something that will develop if one is simply in the right place at the right time.

So, as you enter the heelside turn, ensure that you have enough weight on the rear foot so that the board cannot rotate underneath you as the turn develops. This being a common byproduct of too much weight on the front heel, or merely initiating heelside edge engagement with the front foot rather than both feet.

In order to engage with both feet, it's often helpful to find the heelside edge first with the rear foot.

• Like 2

i hear you and agree 100%.  I am the same way; analyze and sometime over analyze.
analysis paralysis.  Physic/Math/snowboarding are not my strong suit; glad to see you can make it work for you.

Carving is still more of a head game for me. 
How to build that mental fortitude needed; conquer fear/uncertainty/doubt is the challenge/fun part. 

OTOH:  if the math check out; it should just hold lol...  always another unforeseen variable 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dgCarve said:

Great riding! It is the way GS boards meant to be ridden 👍. Great example of controlling the speed without braking using limbs or going up the hill 😀.

Looking at Kohei he does turn the board perpendicular to fall line as a way to bleed off speed. He doesnt go up hill per se but ...

Also he is highly assymetrical in his turns - meaning he does this mostly on heelside rather then on toeside. Reasons are I think obvious

See sequence from 1:25 on the steep

perpendicular to fall line kohei.JPG

kohei carve trail.JPG

Ok what about 0:37 , 1:07 ? He does go uphill sometime.

sure he does jump from turn to turn that's a fact. The energy for the jump comes from the fact that he finishes the turn in apex.

If it is steep, If there is enough speed, board has flex more or less ideal for the rider, the board is high on the edge there is no way that you are not going to fly.

One more for you

https://youtu.be/1-IhVK-aAwc

Edited by slapos

6 minutes ago, dgCarve said:

+1

In addition to everything else, is just scary to carve on such slopes, especially heel side. You have to fall dawn the hill with you back forward, and trust that your board will pick you up, and wont let you fall. There is simply no "smooth" engagement of the edge. There otherwise you will pick up too much speed.

No, he is not! It is cameras perspective... Going uphill and racing technique "are incompatible". Please read the articles what I provided, you will understand why...

Right so....

After the turn in 0 37 he "places" the board into the next turn. So this is camera perspective too ?

Good summer 2021 material 🙂
As a mere mortal: Free carve is what I am after

race car(F1) is impressive blend of engineer marvel and athleticism but most ppl will likely to crash lol.
Race carve is about keep speed up but my heart can't handle it at turning it up to 11 all the time.

• Like 2

i have learned so much just by watching these slow motion reels. Good stuff. I wish he would publish the regular speed versions of them. I couldn't find them last time i looked. 

29 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

Good summer 2021 material 🙂
As a mere mortal: Free carve is what I am after

race car(F1) is impressive blend of engineer marvel and athleticism but most ppl will likely to crash lol.
Race carve is about keep speed up but my heart can't handle it at turning it up to 11 all the time.

Is that bruce at 9:21?