Note to New Members ×

New member / Hooger Booger Grinder 168

BlueB

Hi everyone!

I am a very experienced skier, and was only occasional snowboarder (borrowing from friends on my European trips - always plates and ski boots) up till late 2003, when I moved to Vancouver. Then it was time to get my own gear. Unfortunately, I got convinced by the staff of various shops that no one rides hard boots any more, and that the gear is non existent (not too far from truth as it turned). Luckily, I picked a relatively long (163) and narrow (waist 25) Limited All-around, and some very stiff Burton soft boots. So it turned that I was more or less carving from the day one, applying my ski knowledge - flexing, cross over, cross under, etc. I started with angles 15/5, and gradually shifted to 35/25, and increased the forward lean on the rear high-back. This was before I discovered Bomber site.

It is indeed unbelievable watching all the side-slipping crowds around, not realizing the potential of their boards. Why it is like that - it's completely unclear to me...

I've been watching this forum for few months now. Even bought some cheap used bindings from one of the members (thanks Kurt), for my Limited, and shifted back to ski boots (angles 45/39).

Today I picked up a never used Hooger Booger Grinder from a local consignment shop! It was just collecting dust on the top shelf - still in factory plastic sock!

I measured it to:

Length 168 cm

Contact length ~ 143 cm

Tip 25.5 cm

Waist 20.8 cm

Tail 25.0 cm,

and calculated side cut radius to ~ 11.5 m

It does not have to stiff flex, and has quite a bit of upturned tail, so I suppose it would make a nice all-mountain carver... Looking forward to try it - but no snow left on Vancouver's north shore mountains, even Whistler is getting slushy :(

Does anyone know more about this type of board, like year of manufacture, how it rides, etc? Here's the picture.

Thanks, and keep up good work!

Boris

P.S. Anyone carving in Vancouver area, especially on Cypress Mountain? I would really like to ride with someone on the Dark Side next year :)

post-1678-141842203047_thumb.jpg

yea, nice find! I'd say that is about a 92'-93'. Nice all-around fun board. Never rode that exact model. Bryan very well may have seen one too. I'll bet it turns nice and easy. Probably a little on the soft side, right? And, narrow stance to what we are more used to today, maybe?

oldsnowboards only sponsored rider

Yeah, the stance looks a bit narrow, I forgot to post the numbers in the original post.

Here it is: outermost inserts 50cm, innermost inserts 36cm.

Funny enough, there are 4 pairs of inserts in the front, and 5 pairs at the back.

Another anomaly: the stance angle numbers printed around foot positions show 0 parallel to the longitudinal axis, and 90 perpendicular to the edge.

Boris

Hi Boris, hard to believe there are still NOS boards out there from the early 90s$ I do have a couple of these. They pop up from time to time. Slopetool is right , they were built during a time when most alpine riders still used a pretty narrow stance. I took out a brother to that board a while back and I don't think I could get the centers more than 18" apart. The set back and offset are bias pretty heavily towards the rear. All that said , it has a forgiving flex and a cool oldschool nose that will let you ride it in 4" of new without a worry of stuffing. Hooger Booger was somehow tied in with "Scott" , some of the really old ones say Scott on them. The Feather seems to be the logo/ Icon. Give it a go. Might be just what you need to get going on plates. I recently rode an older Sims 174 Mark Fawcet race and by todays standards it is really soft. However with the wider waist it rode the real soft fresh groomed at Kirkwood like a dream. Took a while to slow it down and enjoy the tight turning radius. But , hey. It is still in the truck with bindings on it!! That is pretty much says it all. Enjoy , Bryan

Side note. Most of these I find have the "Wombat" bindings on them. Pretty funky older bindings that actually had some very cool features. Like a leash that is also a tool , one center bolt connects the entire binding to a single center disc that is mounted on the 4 X 4 pattern. An allen is also a part of it , which allows you to adjust the toe and heel plates. Handy!

Make sure you adjust your bumpers on your TD1s so they touch the board surface. Don't want to see it get wrenched!. Are those the burgandy TD1s of Kurt's?? Those will be awesome on that board. Come to think of it , Kurt bought the bindings from me and I bought the Sims from him! Small world! Have fun on it! Bryan

Originally posted by www.oldsnowboards.com

Are those the burgandy TD1s of Kurt's?? Those will be awesome on that board. Come to think of it , Kurt bought the bindings from me and I bought the Sims from him! Small world! Have fun on it! Bryan [/b]

No, not TD1s, I bought the Emery Quatro from Kurt. At the time I wanted cheep bindings just as an experiment for my Limited. They are ok, just I do not quite like the built in cant - toe/hill lift would work better with the ski boots... Sorted that out with the shims.

They have some sort of dumping material under, so probably will not damage the board.

Thanks for input Bryan!

Boris

• 2 years later...

Man, i found this jewel at a yard sale for: 25 BUCKS! Exact same except for length (148 mine). They only made those models for about 3 years, making only about 300-400 per year. It's a nice board, just to tell you, carves nice, good all mountain board. It'll be worth something later on in life (I think....).

Wish I'd found that board.The shape and width have me written all over it. Bet it will do well in bumps.I had a hooger back in that era that I used with plates. The older BLAX Intec (same as F2?)bindings I use have the discs that allow for widening the stance up to about 2cm in each direction away from center, which would make it a little more modern feeling.. I would hesitate to use a super stiff binding on a board from that era.

Ha! One more. There's another 168 in Vancouver, Ruwi's got it.

It is flexy and forgiving, very good learning board. Nice medium scr, too. Will carve at the low speeds too. When the conditions are all chopped and soft it still performs nicely. Funny enough I quite liked riding that sucker on ice too, but not at steep pitches/high speed. Good taper, good nose, 21 waist, very AM capable board, just not hi-performance carver.

I'll never let mine go.

Boris

Awesome,

I got my Grinder 168 in a Flea Market that closed downa year ago for CA$60. I'ts an eye popper, evertime I ride it, I always get approached asking what is that board, young and adult are all amazed how nice the graphics. One old guy even bent down to scrape off the snow on my top sheet just to see the Hooger Booger emblem. Cool board.

I also got one Swallowtail Regis Rolland SWA 200(200 cm). I convinced my wife to buy this from a used sports store on one condition, she like to hang it on the wall. Haven't ridden it yet, too long but I'll give it a try one day.

Anyone know about this board? Need some info.

Thanks,

ruwi

post-2705-141842231234_thumb.jpg

post-2705-141842231236_thumb.jpg

Whao, Ruwi, that's an Apo. I didn't quite figure it out when you were explaining it to me verbally... I think that Nils once said it's the best production swallow.

It's too big to hang on the wall - I'll save you some space, pass it this way :D ;) You lucky bugger, I was the first to walk in that shop you wouldn't have found it there ;)

Boris

I'm not a skidder, change it. I can carve, just watch me. Lol, just joking, but i'm no skidder.

On-Topic:Exactly how many boards are out there? Limited production, that's all i know. Nice looking board though, Hooger Booger doesn't make just those shaped boards though, i saw one, "Hooger Booger U.F.O.". Can someone check up on that model, it was huge and really wacked out tip and back. Really wacked......