Note to New Members ×

20/21 Season Passes - what's your thinking?

rjnakata

IKON just announced an extension to their discount renewal deadline (May 27) with an additional $100/$50 renewal discount.    EPIC has not announced anything  as of 4/14/20.  Independent passes are in flux.

Given a vaccine might arrive  March 2021 or so, potential personal economic situation changes, demonstrated lack of pass protection for pandemic closures , what are your thoughts about buying next year's season pass?

I will be buying mine early. If the resorts are closed and cannot honor the passes for next season, most all of them will go into foreclosure as they all expanded their snowmaking, etc, recently and all have debts related. I think the rest of the country would be in the same boat, so I am betting on them being there and open, because if they don't, there will be nothing to open again.

• Like 1

I got a lot of use from my pass before this shenanigan. I put my money down for next season.  Ikon said that they'll refund the extra $50 for those who have already purchased their pass so I'm pretty sure I can get more back if they get better deals. Also, since I only use my pass for CO and I'm a driving distance away I'm fairly sure I'll get use out of it.

In short, I'm optimistic about next season 🙂

I'll probably get the Loveland pass as well if I'm still eligible to get it for $100. If not, I'll probably buy a 4-pack.

I bought season 20/21 passes for the family at our local bump.  Regardless of the conditions/circumstances next season I consider it being my responsibility to do my part to help keep the local hill open and the local owners in the black regardless of seasonal variability.  I'd rather loose out on the cost of the passes for a few sucky seasons than to have the ski area shutdown. 

So yearly passes for my family and me are just planned into our budget as a cost of living.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, st_lupo said:

I'd rather loose out on the cost of the passes for a few sucky seasons than to have the ski area shutdown. 

Bravo, sir! 

I can't bring myself to buy a local pass as it takes 15 or so visits to pay it off. 

Bought a pass at both Indianhead and Spirit. It's a vote of confidence for the next season. There's a discount for being over 65 yrs on top of the already discounted early/pre-season price, so it's not too bad. These are small hills and I'm confident they'll figure out how to make it work with social distancing. We're already wearing goggles, gloves and a often a face mask, plus we're outside, so the risk is negligible.

I already used 1/3 the cost of the Indianhead pass in March.

9 hours ago, st_lupo said:

I bought season 20/21 passes for the family at our local bump.  Regardless of the conditions/circumstances next season I consider it being my responsibility to do my part to help keep the local hill open and the local owners in the black regardless of seasonal variability.  I'd rather loose out on the cost of the passes for a few sucky seasons than to have the ski area shutdown. 

I like your thinking. I love the vibe at our local family owned hill (Snow Valley).  They care for people and do right by them (me)! I go there and I feel well treated.  I don't get the feeling it's all about the now-money, it's about investing in the community.

I get the opposite feeling with Alterra (IKON).  It's just their holdings in terms of terrain are so much better.  I feel  like a corporate sellout if I re-up there though... 

14 hours ago, st_lupo said:

So yearly passes for my family and me are just planned into our budget as a cost of living.

I feel the exact same way.  They could double the price and I would pay it.  Snowboarding is my winter life.

• Like 4

On 4/18/2020 at 6:27 PM, Jack M said:

I feel the exact same way.  They could double the price and I would pay it.  Snowboarding is my winter life.

Shall i send your post to the Stratton office so they can apply the Jack M. premium to your membership ?  I understand your enthusiasm but saying it in public ouch. Are you running a fever ?

• Haha 1

Our best pricing doesn't come around until October when discounted passes for ski clubs are offered.  In a normal year, that gets you a pass where you have to stop at the ticket window to have a daily lift ticket printed.  They also off a premium pass where you just walk to the lift, and never have to interact with anyone.  I wonder if they'll only sell the "walk straight to the lift" passes next season.

As this pandemic drags on, I was leaning more and more towards sitting out next season. Now with doubling the discount and allowing deferral to 21/22, well that’s puts it in a different light. Still undecided however. I’m glad they extended the renewal an additional month. 

EPIC PASS announced a sliding scale renewal credit depending on 2019/20 usage AND free insurance that covers Covid closures, job loss and injury AND extra time to renew.  In general they have met with favorable response from the FB crowd.

"To address last season’s unexpected resort closure, 19/20 season pass holders will get at least a 20% credit, and up to 80% based on how much you were able to use your pass, to apply toward a pass for next season. Epic Day Pass and Edge Card holders with unused days are also eligible for credits, up to 80%.

To provide you with peace of mind, we are introducing FREE Epic Coverage for 20/21 pass holders, which will provide refunds for certain resort closures, including events like COVID-19, as well as for eligible job loss, injury and more.

To give you the time you need, we are eliminating our spring deadlines, giving you through Labor Day (Sept. 7) to use your credit and to lock in 10 Buddy Tickets. We will also continue offering the lowest up-front pass deposit of only $49 down."