Note to New Members ×

20/21 IKON: are you buying it?

AcousticBoarder

On 3/10/2020 at 10:33 PM, AcousticBoarder said:

Not stoked about the change taking Aspen out of the base pass. Was looking forward to a trip there maybe next year. 

Totally agree. Thanks for pointing that out.  I would have missed that detail because...who would do that!?

Add $250 for a standard pass.  Is it worth it?

2 hours ago, rjnakata said:

Shouldn't IKON be offering a deeper discount on next years passes due to the shortened season rather than charging more and reducing the number of available resorts?

I had a lot of riding left to do this year.

Well one would think. But given the fact that that they are almost as good as the airlines at finding ways to squeeze every last dollar out out us, I wouldn’t get my hopes up for that.  E.g., note the locker rental rates at Mammoth.  And did you ever think they would use surge pricing on lift tickets for holidays?  I don’t know why the restrooms are still free.

25 minutes ago, Hey John said:

Well one would think. But given the fact that that they are almost as good as the airlines at finding ways to squeeze every last dollar out out us, I wouldn’t get my hopes up for that.  E.g., note the locker rental rates at Mammoth.  And did you ever think they would use surge pricing on lift tickets for holidays?  I don’t know why the restrooms are still free.

I guess I have to agree.

Ikon base pass prices:   2018/19  $579    2019/20 $619   2020/21 $649 (without Aspen)

I did see the locker rates at Mammoth, $20/day?  I like June's lockers at $1/entry but they raised that to $2 this year.  At least the restrooms are free.

Their pricing strategy is working: I'm thinking about the unrestricted pass now.😡

To be fair, the pricing structure was announced when they still expected two more months of the season (including the spring break rush).

I'd prefer a cheaper and more inclusive pass, but I knew what I was signing up for. Compaired to the east and mid atlantic it's still a heck of a pass.

On 3/17/2020 at 6:05 PM, rjnakata said:

Add $250 for a standard pass.  Is it worth it?

My family and I get the standard or full Ikon pass for the fact that there are no blackout dates.  Totally worth the extra money.  This past season we were at Sunday River for 5 days during Christmas.  Would not have been able to do that on the base pass.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:15 AM, AcousticBoarder said:

Yep I'm waiting to see what they decide to do in the wake of all of this, crossing my fingers for a discount for next seasons pass or refund I can put towards next year

That'll never happen.

• 3 weeks later...

20/21 IKON: are you buying it?

I ask IKON on Facebook again last Sunday if they have any updates on 20/21 renewal pricing and discount deadline.  Here's their response, essentially the same since my first inquiry on March 26: 

"...we are still working hard in the background. We understand how frustrating this can be so we thank you tremendously for your patience and understanding. Feel free to keep checking back or watch our main feed for an update soon."

Pass price is scheduled to go up in one week (April 21, 2020) with no communication from IKON on: 1) a renewal cost decrease 2) pass protection policy change  3) delay of price increase date.

Given that Fauci says a covid shot is not due until +/- March 2021 which puts the 20/21 in flux - What are you doing about IKON?

Received this email am 4/15:

"To Our Ikon Pass Community:

We hope this note finds you and those close to you healthy and well.

These are the days when we are particularly grateful for all those who share our devotion to winter in the mountains and find camaraderie within this passionate community. In these unprecedented times, we understand that the unknown can be difficult and today we hope to alleviate some of that by offering details regarding Ikon Pass and next winter.

As a valued member of our Ikon Pass community, we want to share our appreciation and gratitude with you by doubling your 20/21 renewal discount from $100 to up to $200 per Ikon Pass and from $50 to up to $100 per Ikon Base Pass. In addition to these savings, we are also giving you more time to renew your pass at the best value, until May 27, 2020. The zero interest payment plan also remains an option for you.

We recognize all of you who share our passion and enthusiasm, and find joy within this community. During this time off the slopes, we wish you and your snow crew continued connection and enthusiasm and we look forward to the days when all of us get out there again and enjoy adventures together.

We thank you for your enduring love of the mountains. Sweet days await us.

Be well. Your friends at Ikon Pass" 

I will at the very least hold out until May 20th.   It'd be great if everyone held out... I understand that the pandemic has/will cost them a lot of revenue as well from no fault of their own, but, while I have no issue putting the money down now, I'd really just like a reasonable cancellation policy or insurance in case the season is cancelled or shortened next winter, which isn't there right now.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjnakata said:

From what I see on IKON's Facebook page customer reaction to their discount and renewal deferral date has not been favorable.

Why?!

I bought my 20/21 Ikon passes several weeks ago.  It's not cheap but certainly worth it if you go a lot.  This past year, even with the sudden and early closer of all the resorts, we still averaged $40 per day per family member.  If I had finished a regular length season it would have been even better for average ticket price per day.  With Ikon giving me a bigger discount and others a longer time to purchase at a discounted rate, I'm ecstatic.

Free money!

16 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

Why?!

I bought my 20/21 Ikon passes several weeks ago.  It's not cheap but certainly worth it if you go a lot.  This past year, even with the sudden and early closer of all the resorts, we still averaged $40 per day per family member.  If I had finished a regular length season it would have been even better for average ticket price per day.  With Ikon giving me a bigger discount and others a longer time to purchase at a discounted rate, I'm ecstatic.

Free money!

Like you, It did work out for me this last year, but do you have concerns about a cancelled or abbreviated 20/21 season?

Yes, I do have concerns.  However, I'm willing to take the chance and bet that I will likely spend less to ski per day with the Ikon pass than if I paid at the resort each time I went.  After all, isn't that what we all do as season pass holders every year?  We gamble on a weather dependent sport.

• Like 1

In 2018/19 I bought the BASE pass for $579 (at lowest rate)

In 2019/2020 it was $619 (lowest rate)

The proposed renewal for 20/21 BASE pass is $599 with the $50 discount for last seasons closure. 

New for 20/21 BASE pass does not include Aspen and Jackson Hole as it did last year (now a $150 upgrade).

While the 20/21 pass might work out financially I don't like what appears to a be a magnanimous gesture by IKON of doubling the renewal discount that works out to be a $20 credit (minus Aspen/Jackson Hole) for an abbreviated season.  Of course it's not their fault covid came, but I feel they are trying to look good while offering little.  With impending US economic woes this may not be in IKON's best interest.

20/21 snow will be in the hills in some form.  20/21 covid closures are a gamble. 

Yeah I still plan on renewing, but I also would like to see a little more from them in the wake of all this. True it is not their fault, but I dont like the ever increasing prices for less in return. I think I barely got my money's worth, but my fiance and 2 friends definitely did not, one of them only had one outing. One day this season for 600 is insane for no fault of their own. Mt. High a few years back in a bad snow season gave everyone who got x days or less a partial refund significantly more than the $50 discount for a significantly cheaper pass. As it stands a student discount for the ikon still trumps the renewal discount price. 

1 hour ago, AcousticBoarder said:

Yeah I still plan on renewing, but I also would like to see a little more from them in the wake of all this. True it is not their fault, but I dont like the ever increasing prices for less in return. I think I barely got my money's worth, but my fiance and 2 friends definitely did not, one of them only had one outing. One day this season for 600 is insane for no fault of their own. Mt. High a few years back in a bad snow season gave everyone who got x days or less a partial refund significantly more than the $50 discount for a significantly cheaper pass. As it stands a student discount for the ikon still trumps the renewal discount price. 

I feel as if our independent local mountains (Mt High, Snow Valley) have a different level of customer care than the Alterra owned (Bear, Mammoth, and to a lot lesser extent June Mtn).  I have personally received customer appreciation from Snow Valley and feel they care.  When I sign on with Alterra I'm supporting a private-equity, multi-million dollar company.  Too bad they have the goods when it comes to slopes.  

Alterra is getting a lot of backlash on Facebook and I am personally wondering if their price/timing concessions were planned phased.  They tried the $50 discount, got a bad reaction and then had to move to phase 2 (option to defer to 21/22 before Dec 10, 2020).  They are still getting a bad reaction to phase 2, but not as bad as with phase 1.   Phase 3 should be some sort of concession for 19/20 pass holders like your friends.  That might give them the appearance of more than a corporate grab.

• 2 weeks later...

The Base Ikon pass includes unlimited days at Crystal and costs $700; the season pass sold by Crystal is $1,299. Madness! It looks like Crystal doesn't have their 20/21 pre-season pricing up yet, but still, that's crazy talk. No reason to get anything other than an Ikon base pass... 

Just curious - does anyone know how the revenue sharing works? E.g., if I pay $700 for a base Ikon pass and only ride at Crystal, does Crystal get most of the money (after paying for shared costs to run the Ikon program)?

On 4/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, rjnakata said:

The proposed renewal for 20/21 BASE pass is $599 with the $50 discount for last seasons closure. 

New for 20/21 BASE pass does not include Aspen and Jackson Hole as it did last year (now a $150 upgrade).

While the 20/21 pass might work out financially I don't like what appears to a be a magnanimous gesture by IKON of doubling the renewal discount that works out to be a $20 credit (minus Aspen/Jackson Hole) for an abbreviated season.  Of course it's not their fault covid came, but I feel they are trying to look good while offering little.  With impending US economic woes this may not be in IKON's best interest.

I agree. When you factor the $150 surcharge to include Aspen in the Base pass, this isn’t the big deal that their PR dept says it is. Or at least it isn’t for me. My seasons average about 6 to 8 days at mammoth and 4 to 5 at Aspen. Because the conditions were so bad at Mammoth this past season, Steamboat replaced one of the Mammoth trips. So now It’s the beginning of May and I’m still undecided. Unless by some miracle a vaccine is available by September, I’m leaning toward sitting next season out and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Otherwise they wouldn’t be playing these shell games. 

As you said, these tactics may not be in Ikon’s best interest. Certainly long term this will not be good, as some of those who skip next season may never pick it up again. I’ve seen it happen with injuries and other life interruptions. I hope Alterra is aware of that.