Note to New Members ×

Worst and Best

lowrider

Listening to the news.

New Zealand street once again the world's steepest after Guinness World Records reverses decision.  I ran it years ago.

Our friends went to town and picked up fresh greens and produce for us, saving us a trip into civilization.  Won't have to go into town for weeks.

First day out in the mountains at 7500 feet with a baseball cap instead of anything covering my ears.

Sitting on a swing made out of a chairlift with my wife, staring at Lone Peak, deep blue sky without a cloud, and not a soul around.

I fired up the smoker yesterday and threw a rack of ribs on, once they where done, I threw a pork butt on and let it go overnight. While I was pulling it earlier, I flashed back to an end of season bbq we did at the Luv a few years ago. At one point, @slopestar, a serious anti pork guy gave into the temptation, and made himself a sammy, and partook.  I remembered him slowly sauntering, and savoring that sammich as he meandered around the parking lot and base area, lost in the reverie of that smoked pork goodness he held so close, and so delicately nibbled at. That memory, as it did that day, put a smile on my face. The bummer of it, is we never got the chance to properly end the season this year

mario

• Like 2

Today was really different. For 40 years we have moved sheep to a different barn for shearing and lambing. This morning we did it again but after moving the sheep and setting up lights and gates we left the barn and the shearer arrived did their work packed up the fleece and left. We stayed in the house the whole time returning to the barn afterward to disinfect  the work area  and vaccinate the sheep. Very strange feeling entering the barn afterward under such different circumstances. These are certainly strange times. The bad was we missed the experience that transforms the sheep from their wooly winter coats .  The good is they are now clean and lighter ready to lamb in a few weeks . Tomorrows adventures await ! 

The bad: Beautiful fine day, moderate swell, an 8 foot custom mini-mal and a long low slack mountain bike in the garage. Surfing and mountain biking are specifically forbidden as exercise in our lock down to avoid emergency staff having to break their isolation "bubble" to come and rescue you if you stuff up. That's a first world problem for you if ever there was!

The good news: My wife, who is stranded in the United Kingdom, now has a ticket for a Qatar Airways flight, refuel in Doha, that will deliver her to New Zealand in the early hours of Easter Monday. She will have to go through 14 days of enforced isolation on arrival in Auckland. She was in the UK to continue her PhD studies. I am so looking forward to having her here in NZ.

Edited by SunSurfer