Note to New Members ×

Regular/Goofy stuff

BobD

Dancers are trained and evaluated in some regards on how well they spin or rotate in various elements on each side.

The same usually holds true for the footwork in figure skating (sequences often require footwork turns to rotate in both directions as a measure of difficulty/mastery, e.g. twizzles, counters, rockers, three turns, mohawks, choctaws.)

For jumps and spins, right handed figure skaters rotate counter clockwise while left handed skaters rotate clockwise. This is because your dominant arm is stronger and is capable of generating much more power than the other.

Allyson Way, former dancer and rehearsal director for the Cullberg Ballet

Answered Jan 5, 2016 · Author has 1.1k answers and 734.3k answer views

In ballet classes all moves are trained on both sides, so theoretically one should be able to perform all moves to the left and right sides equally well, with the same applying to turns in either direction. In reality however, most dancers will have favorite sides...one leg will be preferred for taking off for jumps, one better side for direction for turning, one side with easier and higher leg extensions. I suppose it has a relation to your dominant hand or foot (which may not necessarily be on the same side) and/or flexibility. But I have noticed more male dancers trained in Russia perform their big manèges (consecutive turns in a big circle) and preferring anti-clockwise. The body is never completely symmetrical in structure, which may explain why certain moves would become more comfortable on one side despite equal training.

If you watch much figure skating you will see that they can rotate both ways for simple things only. As soon as they go for a big spin or jump they rotate one way only, and that way is almost always left (counter clockwise). If what you say is true and it is related to handedness then that jibes as 90% of people are right handed.

Maybe some dancers can spin equally well both ways but I’ve watched a lot of dance shows (dancing daughter...) and it doesn’t seem that way to me.

It’s always confused me because skateboarders and snowboarders must rotate both ways if they expect to win competitions.  I asked this very question on Quora a while back. The best answer I got is that the speed of rotation required in skating is much faster than that for snowboarding. Mostly the answers were “don’t you realize how hard it is to land a triple or a quad?”

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-figure-skaters-only-rotate-in-one-direction-during-major-jumps-and-spins-To-increase-the-level-of-difficulty-it-seems-they-should-be-expected-to-show-competence-spinning-and-jumping-in-both-directions-as-is

While playing on a trampoline with my daughter, I learned I can spin much more reliably to the left (frontside for a regular rider) than to the right.

I tend to go off-axis when spinning to the right. Not a cool X-Games-style off-axis, more like a flailing fall kind of off-axis...

Maybe that's why I sucked at spinning tricks as I generally tried backside!  Wish I had figured that out about 30 years ago. 

8 hours ago, lowrider said:

All I know is Sunsurfer's toilet spins opposite of mine. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force

"The theory that the effect influences draining water to rotate anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere has been repeatedly disproven by modern-day scientists.[9][10][11]"

Lowrider -

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Europe