Note to New Members ×

How do you store your boards over the summer?

JRAZZ

Yup, the season is over and we are all probably feeling a little kooky right about now. My guess is that some of us might have put in an inordinate amount of time storing our quiver for the summer. I normally just toss them behind the shed but this time I cleaned them up, loosened the screws, put on some storage wax (especially on the edges) and hung them up on the rack.

What's your summer storage method?

872105657_Quiver2020-03-26-1.jpg.e9666f3eb01463ec0d45ecb2ac1d5d3c.jpg

p.s. yes. I am leaving the Donek just in case ABasin opens up and I get a chance to do some June riding.

Also, this could double as a quiver show off thread though I know some of your quivers don't fit in a single shot 😛

And finally, no, those are not my skis. My girls tried snowboarding and decided they can't go fast enough on a single plank.

Loosen the bindings. When we get a sunny day I'll do my "solar wax" job: put the boards out - base up, let the sun get the (black) bases nice & warm, crayon on some wax, let it heat up until it forms a nice even sheen and then take them out of the sun to cool. Wait until next season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnE said:

Loosen the bindings. When we get a sunny day I'll do my "solar wax" job: put the boards out - base up, let the sun get the (black) bases nice & warm, crayon on some wax, let it heat up until it forms a nice even sheen and then take them out of the sun to cool. Wait until next season. 

Well that's s green way to do it. I like it lol....

I take off the bindings (have more boards than bindings anyway, so I mount them when needed), no wax or anything.

Nowadays I store them vertically. I used to stack them horizontally and that never gave problems (with boards of decent build quality), but with the stack increasing in size there is a lot of weight on the lower boards, and I got a bit worried on noses deforming over time.

20200329_212919_compress11.jpg.56e7a8844c85f3a67ed429abd50e0e3d.jpg

Bit less organized than the others

Edited by TimW

On 3/30/2020 at 5:52 PM, snowburn said:

Well that's s green way to do it. I like it lol....

Try it sometime. Not only is it "green" but it works really well. The whole board gets pretty warm and the wax lays down like the surface of a still lake. It seems like the wax more permanently bonds with the base. Just don't leave it out too long - it can get too hot to touch!

UV and plastics do no mix...

Don't know what it would do to your wax (probably not much) and if your base is predominantly black it probably doesn't matter as much since they use charcoal to create the black color (and that gives some resistance), but still, why?

UV causes ageing, embrittlement, cracking, and yellowing in most plastics including epoxy and urethanes (boots) and especially PEs (base). We usually test plastics by sticking them on the roof and letting the sun bake them. Now you probably won't see any degradation after a couple of hours but it's just not a great idea. Build a hot box! More consistent and no UV.