Note to New Members ×

Bad Article - Best (softboot) Carving Snowboards 2020

barryj

We need an article coming out this late when most everybody's season is kaput(?) on which off the shelf (softboot) carving snowboard to buy ??    Yep....just came out March 12!!       snowboardhow.com/best-carving-snowboards/

Don't agree with a lot of their  math/logic......but what do I know about softbooting besides my failed attempt with the Burton HardOn's  :smashfrea

Couldn't resist and had to blow their minds with mad props on the  Alloy D.O  Softboot Carver  :biggthump                                                                                                                                                                                  Best Softboot Carver On The F---ing Planet!  Bar None!!  

HA!

I rode the Story Board, Hometown Hero and Skeleton Key in the same day I rode my DO at Winter Park not two weeks ago (remembering wistfully). The Hometown Hero was better than the other two but honestly none of them even come close to the DO. That is not really surprising. What did surprise me is that they didn't even stack up against my all mountain flexy board - the Never Summer Swift. 

In reality the Burtons have a sidecut of 7 to 7.5 meters. The Never Summer has a 8.3m sidecut and the DO has a Contra/Thirst like sidecut of about 10meters. No contest!  I think that people like the short sidecut because it allows you to turn in very quickly but it makes the board too nervous. 

As for this article, marketing crap as usual. Regurgitating stuff found on the internet.  Thank you for sharing that, I needed the comedic relief!

Tried roughly 20 boards in the last 3 years.

For me. Insist for me as everyone as different needs, style, weights etc.

Virus is #1 especially my 170 pro. Incredible edge hold. Nimble ultra light stiff but best for my 190 pounds as I lost some weight. Versatile in all conditions but forgiving. 

#2: Between the Virus ****$/@ light project carbon and JJA double titanal layers ice killer ideal on the east coast.

I have my holy trinity for for years to come... 😉

It's a blog.

English is not the primary language.

Seeing as how she earned her level 1 CASI in Japan in 2018 I suspect that she demoed readily available boards.

I agree with the statement that the title was an overreach. Frankly, the purpose is to make snowboarding more accessible to more people. Let her share the stoke. That's the intention of the author. Think of how cool it is that she is actively searching for more knowledge.

Every day that we get to ride is a gift. Some years we are blessed beyond our wildest imaginations and others our wants are far from met. Enjoy what you are given and keep your eyes fixed there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Buford67 said:

I have a size 11.5/12 boot size. I wish the DO had a wide version.

Yes, and not one of those moronic, quasi-wide, but-only-a-smidge-wider-than-our-regular-offering-for-dainty-little-hooves, 26.8 versions...seriously people, there are some Chunky Soup eating mother****ers out here who are tired of overhang!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lordmetroland said:

Yes, and not one of those moronic, quasi-wide, but-only-a-smidge-wider-than-our-regular-offering-for-dainty-little-hooves, 26.8 versions...seriously people, there are some Chunky Soup eating mother****ers out here who are tired of overhang!

Not a fan of those. May be good for some but just didn’t feel right for me. I like to think I’m blessed with US 9 feet

12 hours ago, Buford67 said:

I have a size 11.5/12 boot size. I wish the DO had a wide version.

Korean designer being built at the Nidecker Factory. Most of their offerings cater to a smaller stature of rider. Shane Kang actually made the 165 from all of our input so I feel like it’s a custom because it just works so well for me. Perhaps with more traction in the US (corona -virus willing) more boards will be designed and built for guys with bigger feet. 
I’m hoping to get a couple boards for next season. New sniper 161 and a Prototype board known currently as Ares that is a 163/variable average  scr of 14.7/ with 150 cm of eff edge/26 waist. 

1 hour ago, slopestar said:

Shane Kang actually made the 165 from all of our input

Hey Slope,

How's your 165 treating ya compared to your 161 experience?

Remind me of your height/weight and boot size.

I would like to try the 165 but really like the snappy response and maneuverability of the 161........what am I missing? 

I’m 5’11” 220lbs and rapidly dropping with exercise and rationing... size 9 US shoe size. I’m all torso with a 29” inseam. 

the 161 I had demoed that was later purchased by Jrazz was great. As you said it’s a snappy carver. It also is super stable at speeds over 50mph. I rarely go that fast... but the end of its snappy carving into the speed zone was a line in the snow for me. If I approached a turn going a bit fast, trying to stuff a hard turn had me a bit scared as the board was willing and able to finish the turn but I was unable to keep up with it... not fun when approaching he fringe of a run at 40mph...That said, the 165 moves well across that proverbial line in the snow. Confidence at all speed and I’m never scared to chuck it into a turn at speed. 

I am extremely pleased with Alloy and happy and hopeful to represent them in 20/21 as the first US Rider/Ambassador.

make sure you hit up Don Anderson after this “storm” blows over. He could certainly get you on one or add one to your quiver

Edited by slopestar

9 hours ago, slopestar said:

the 165

What bindings you using and how far forward on the inserts is your front foot?

I felt the 161 I rode wanted you to load up the nose and needed another set of inserts towards the nose toward that end.    Wondering if the 165's length resolved that or exacerbated  the issue?

Yeah I'm sure Don's still got stock but I want the old glossy top sheet 2017-18 model for it's looks............and since they haven't added any more inserts to the front of the newer 161's 

13 hours ago, barryj said:

What bindings you using and how far forward on the inserts is your front foot?

I felt the 161 I rode wanted you to load up the nose and needed another set of inserts towards the nose toward that end.    Wondering if the 165's length resolved that or exacerbated  the issue?

Yeah I'm sure Don's still got stock but I want the old glossy top sheet 2017-18 model for it's looks............and since they haven't added any more inserts to the front of the newer 161's 

Bindings are Flow NX2 GT/RS/Fusion. I’ve been destroying The aluminum highbacks and got several replacements and lots of spare parts from Thunder at Rider services. I’m finding the flex of the fusion/carbon highbacks last a bit longer. Tried a new pair of ride el hefe’s and broke both highbacks in less than 2 hours. I’d have to check the front binding but I know I’m in the Furthest forward insert pack on my back foot. I’m at 30/21 for angles and 21.75 stance width

Edited by slopestar

On 3/20/2020 at 7:30 PM, barryj said:

I feel that it loves it when you load the tail.... at least that's what I like about it. Just loves to pop when you do that. Initially I did have it mounted up front but I've since moved the bindings back a bit and I think it rides more smoothly like that.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:30 PM, barryj said:

I can sell you mine... for the right price 🙂