Note to New Members ×

Ok, you guys are going to think I’m nuts

1xsculler

8” of 25° pow over a nice base. Great for floating. Anybody can float on a board, skis or a Onewheel and it’s fun but does little for my current passion of getting good at linked pencil-line arcs. I don’t really bust my ass driving up here three or four days per week just for the fun of my 2 hour sessions. I’m on a mission, until I feel semi-competent, to carve on groomers. So, I made two floating runs and headed home. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

I enjoy pow but im also a saddist thats loves a groomed run thats so hard its verging on ice and to be honest i prefer the later.... Pow for me is fun but I always feel like im just crusing no matter how hard i ride and its never felt like anywhere near adrenaline filled that i get on groomed runs. Bullet proof cord i need to be on my A game every single turn forcing me to ride at my peak add to that when i do get it right the speed power and sheer sense of flow i can get is incredible 🙂 So yeah im another nut case

Ok @1xsculler,  I think it's time we had: "the talk".

When water vapor, cold temperature and nucleators love each other, baby snowflakes are born.  And on the scale of 1 to 10 powder is the 11 (or the 12 if it is Utah powder).  The reason we get powder at all is because God loves snowboarders.  It's true!  I have never personally seen powder before the early 70's.  And every day that a snowboarder doesn't ride pow, a kitten dies.

Focus on what you are passionate about, but adapting that passion to your conditions goes a long way towards achieving satisfaction, on the whole, with snowboarding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, scottishsurfer said:

I enjoy pow but im also a saddist thats loves a groomed run thats so hard its verging on ice and to be honest i prefer the later.... Pow for me is fun but I always feel like im just crusing no matter how hard i ride and its never felt like anywhere near adrenaline filled that i get on groomed runs. Bullet proof cord i need to be on my A game every single turn forcing me to ride at my peak add to that when i do get it right the speed power and sheer sense of flow i can get is incredible 🙂 So yeah im another nut case

That’s my passion and I feel the same as scottishsurfer. 

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Bit lost here @1xsculler ~ if you don't like pow, why did you bother to jump out of bed & 'bust your ass' with the drive?

You never really know what you’re going to find until you get there, i.e. grooming, etc. 

1 hour ago, bumpyride said:

I'm with 1xsculler!

I think all snowboarders and skiers should hate powder, and not even show up on a powder day.

If I had been there with some of my kids or grandkids we would have made a great day out of it. 

• Like 1

We are all just a little nutty 🙂
Jealous you still get to ride!  it almost hit 70 degree here today...

powder on modern alpine board isn't bad.
Heck when I first started; i was trying to carve on 2 feet+ of sierra cement on a Donek 180GS 18.5cm waist olympic construction board.
It wasn't fun for me(wrong board, lack of technique) but I sure learned a ton by the end of my trip.

My humble 2 cents:  YMMV
Ride in sub optimal condition is critical for progressing. 
If we only ride when it's perfect condition; then it should be no surprise that we can only ride perfect cord. 
However if we can carve on icy boiler plater pepper with death cookie or track out bumpy snow then it should make good grooming riding that much simpler.

Stick to one setup; remove variable.  Not saying One board all the time but most of the time.
It force us to focus on technique.

• Like 1

I mean I kinda get where you're coming from.  You can't get me to show up to a weekend powder day around here for anything (crowds).  During the week however I'm all over that ish.  Having a focus is nice but like others said your overall understanding of the sport will be improved by riding in all sorts of conditions.  It took me years to figure out hardboots in powder but ultimately I'm really glad I put in the effort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...