Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

I can make one prediction. 

The luxury ski area Colorado groomed snow will last later into the day this season than ever before. Because of lessened air travel , fear, and possible limited daily ticket sales . 

I still believe there is a correlation of adaption to sudden attitude change and infection and transmission as altitude sickness lowers  immunity . So cases may go up , but deaths won’t spike much if at all provided that social people who are less likely to be low hanging fruit - even older people can still have good immune systems . 

I fully expect Klaus Obermyer to celebrate his 101st birthday this December 2. 2020 in good heath and to ski on his birthday. 

You're on your own.  From the Big Sky Website:

COVID-19 Warning

Our policies and practices have been instituted to keep our guests, our staff, and our community safe. Please note that our health and safety policies may be revised at any time, they will be updated on our website accordingly. We appreciate your cooperation as we all adjust to the new normal.

Big Sky Resort amenities, experiences, and other offerings may be modified or operate with limited capacity, and are subject to closure based on guidance from health experts and government officials. Our team is striving to provide the safest experience possible and ensure your time at Big Sky remains exceptional.

When visiting public spaces, including Big Sky Resort, there is an inherent risk of being exposed to COVID-19. By visiting Big Sky Resort, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.

I wonder how it's going to work here in Maine if Governor Mills does not relax the travel restrictions on Massachusetts travelers in time.  This could be a real problem for the ski resorts.  A negative test immediately before visit, or 14 day quarantine is still required. Violators may face a fine of $1000 and 6 months in jail. Are MA season pass holders seriously going to be expected to take a test every week, and then prove it? Because now with RFID, the resorts will know when they're here I presume.

Edit - it was pointed out to me that the RFID for a season pass can be blocked or turned off.  So the resort could block MA passes every night, and MA pass holders would have to check in each morning to get it activated.  What a PITA

Edited by Jack M
duh

A federal judge in Pittsburgh has ruled that Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf was arbitrary and overreaching in his Covid-19 orders shutting down businesses and imposing other restrictions, violating citizens’ constitutional rights.

The Wisconsin Supreme Court in May struck down Governor Tony Evers’ lockdown order as violating citizens’ constitutional rights.

Governor Mills may want to look up these two cases, as lawsuits have followed and the businesses affected are expected to be in a protracted fight to be made whole.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TVR said:

A federal judge in Pittsburgh has ruled that Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf was arbitrary and overreaching in his Covid-19 orders shutting down businesses and imposing other restrictions, violating citizens’ constitutional rights.

The Wisconsin Supreme Court in May struck down Governor Tony Evers’ lockdown order as violating citizens’ constitutional rights.

Governor Mills may want to look up these two cases, as lawsuits have followed and the businesses affected are expected to be in a protracted fight to be made whole.

And this thinly veiled political commentary relates to alpine snowboarding how?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lurch said:

This thread walks the line of what's acceptable here rather well, but it is tangentially related to snowboarding as court proceedings and the resulting interpretations will affect many riders. 

I'm really glad I don't have to create policy as both sides of every possible decision have irrational and vocal minorities that pounce on every little thing right now. I think there's no way to make everyone happy. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

It was a response to me wondering how state restrictions are going to play out at ski resorts.

Really appreciate how civil this internet oasis has been.  Thanks everyone!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

It was a response to me wondering how state restrictions are going to play out at ski resorts.

No need to circle the wagons Jack. I called it how I saw it & was satified (if not in agreement) with Coreys reply. I'll leave it at that.

The crux of the whole situation is that we are relying on people having the intelligence and sense of responsibility to keep the virus spread under control. I don't think that's going to happen.

Today was my wife's second day back with kids teaching Kindergarten. She notices that a kid is coughing a lot, and ask the kid some questions. He says his dad couldn't go in to work today because he has a bad cough. See you in two weeks kid!

13 minutes ago, BobD said:

The crux of the whole situation is that we are relying on people having the intelligence and sense of responsibility to keep the virus spread under control. I don't think that's going to happen.

Today was my wife's second day back with kids teaching Kindergarten. She notices that a kid is coughing a lot, and ask the kid some questions. He says his dad couldn't go in to work today because he has a bad cough. See you in two weeks kid!

Teachers are underpaid, underappreciated, and didn't sign up for the undertaker.  Society can not function when there are non-functioning members.  The complete madness of expecting the Virus to magically disappear when there are situations like this is only going to prolong the loss of life, and the damage to society.  I hope you are both fine in the coming days, and I support Teachers 100%.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Research starting to find clues that may explain why some Covid infected patients get really sick and others left almost untouched.

The last paragraph of the article reflects the complexities of finding therapeutic remedies for COVID-19. Political expediency should play no part in it. 

On 9/15/2020 at 5:58 AM, Jack M said:

I wonder how it's going to work here in Maine if Governor Mills does not relax the travel restrictions on Massachusetts travelers in time.  This could be a real problem for the ski resorts.  A negative test immediately before visit, or 14 day quarantine is still required.

How immediate is immediate? Test results here are taking up to five days to process due to the backlog, and wait times sure aren't going to improve if a whole bunch of asymptomatic people are lining up every weekend. Not sure if your situation's any better there, but there's a finite number of staff, labs, and hours in a day anywhere.

So far, my doctor in Laguna Beach has had people test positive, applied individualized treatment and had ZERO hospitalizations and Zero deaths. Caduceus medical at 333 Thalia Laguna Beach .

never heard of a pandemic continuing with zero hospitalizations and zero deaths. 

I know only a single person who suffered covid like symptoms ( flu like symptoms) and was hospitalized and recovered . Still they can’t be sure it was Covid-19.

So does anyone know anyone DIRECTLY. That had no comorbidity and was heathy that died of covid ... not just “ died after testing positive for Covid”?  You can be hit by a car - admitted to a hospital with no comorbidity and test positive for covid and die of your injuries and be classified as a covid death.

So who has known a Covid only death?  There’s got to be a few out there in a “ pandemic” . Condolences to those for any losses .

To me it’s an “unusual pandemic” as compared to other pandemics when supposedly it’s everywhere but there are no deaths from the disease only.  

Other pandemics nearly every family could pint to a death in their family. I’ve got no knowledge of anyone in my family even suffering from Covid-19. 

I have a big extended family ...my great grandfather Oei Tjong Ham  had 3 wives, 15 concubines and 46 kids and my other paternal great grandfather  had 26 kids. I have family gatherings in the Far East with hundreds and sometimes THOUSANDS of family members. I haven’t been yet, but they fill multiple hotels.  I haven’t heard of any deaths .  Zilch on Facebook . And that’s sorta a conservative estimate of Oei Tjong Hams wives... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tompepinsky.com/2014/01/10/the-many-wives-of-oei-tiong-ham/amp/

So in YOUR immediate family , have you had any losses ? Condolences in advance.  

Edited by John Gilmour

John, I said on another thread that I wasn't going to get into politics, so I'll keep this to math, using figures for the US because I mainly know them off the top of my head. With 200k deaths in the US and population of 330m, that's one death per 1,650 people. For convenience, I'm just going to say an average household is about 3 people (actual number seems to be between 2.5 and 3), so that means about 1 in 550 US households suffered a covid death. I don't know exactly what off-season traffic looks like here, but if I had to guess, there's maybe 50 people actively posting these days, and that might be generous in this sub-forum. 

Net net, it's very likely that no one here has had an immediate family member die of Covid. This does not prove that Covid is made up or the death statistics are being inflated. In fact, the US has recorded 260k more deaths since March than expected based on past years, so if anything, we're probably undercounting Covid deaths. 

Edited to add: The demographics, density, and medical care of Laguna Beach are definitely not representative of the US as a whole, your MD probably hasn't had any patients die of opioid overdoses either.  

Super interested to hear about Oei Tjong Ham, you need to get yourself to one of those reunions (once we can travel again), it sounds like quite a party.

• Like 3

Not trying to be political at all. I actually don’t have any party affiliations. I’m just trying to find ANYONE ANYWHERE that has had a death. I ask about 2-5 people a day since March . Not friends of friends of friends which could be inaccurate  ... but family.

Edited by John Gilmour

27 minutes ago, John Gilmour said:

Not trying to be political at all. I actually don’t have any party affiliations. I’m just trying to find ANYONE ANYWHERE that has had a death. I ask about 2-5 people a day since March . Not friends of friends of friends which could be inaccurate  ... but family.

Ask the same question about opioid deaths and let us know the responses, I'd be pretty interested to hear how the results compare. Looks like we're running about 65k opioid deaths per year; that's been going on for much longer though, so maybe we could expect about 2 opioid deaths for each covid death. If you get up to 10 opioid deaths and no covid deaths, then you're getting into statistically interesting territory. 

Death rate per case diagnosis varies widely across the USA. The problem lies in the denominator, we don't have an accurate idea of the number of actual cases, as opposed to diagnosed (variation in e.g. test availability, access, willingness to be tested)

Death rates per head of population would be more helpful in answering your question @John Gilmour

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

--------------------

https://www.euromomo.eu/

Euromomo (European Mortality Monitoring) click Graphs & Maps 

Like I said before, death is a pretty reliable diagnosis. Clear spike in deaths coinciding with the first peak of Covid.

19 minutes ago, bumpyride said:

Does it really matter if anyone of us knows a person who died?

https://khn.org/news/exclusive-over-900-health-workers-have-died-of-covid-19-and-the-toll-is-rising/

Only that some people will interpret not knowing of someone who has died as "evidence" that Covid is "fake news".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Net net, it's very likely that no one here has had an immediate family member die of Covid. This does not prove that Covid is made up or the death statistics are being inflated. In fact, the US has recorded 260k more deaths since March than expected based on past years, so if anything, we're probably undercounting Covid deaths. 

Considering the lock downs and other measures to reduce transmission of COVID-19, it would be interesting to know the effect this had on seasonal flu transmission. If seasonal flu cases were down, then the excess deaths figure would suggest even more deaths from COVID-19. 

Apparently annual seasonal flu deaths are estimated based on a formula than takes in many different data and assumptions, and not on confirmed cases. I wonder what the number of COVID-10 deaths would be based on the flu death formula. Much higher still would be my guess.