Note to New Members ×

Since MCC/Turner?

dredman

I talked with Sean from Donek about his Turner/MCC experience last week.  He shared some great thoughts from the event: Open slopes, no pressure/stress riding, how great the "No Passing"Rule,  how his riding perspective/ability changed, feeling of being surrounded by friends/family.  

What have you experienced since the MCC now that you are home?

Agree with my Team mate Inky.  I have been having troubles with reentry since I got back.  It's taking a lot longer for openings to         materialize, and they don't seem to last that long. Same guy that strafed Ink did the same to me. At one point, I was getting back into my binding, and I was almost taken out by some women that thought it might be neat to see how close she could get. A patroller in taring  pulling an empty sled almost took a bunch of us out as we were waiting for the rest of our crew.  He was coming in way hot  and thought it would be easier to yell at people to get out of the way than to slow down.

Missing riding with all of you freaks, Montucky was once again magical.  Looking forward to next year!

mario

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

It's* like my helmet... don't leave home without it. It's not for me... it's for all those idiots around me.

*https://www.backcountry.com/demon-united-hyper-vest-d3o-body-armor-mens?

From my experience it saves only from some relatively minor bruises from hitting hard objects. But unfortunately It does not prevent bones from braking, muscles and ligaments from tearing. And this what usually happens when somebody hit you really hard. I use similar armor, but only to protect from falls in icy conditions.

54 minutes ago, dgCarve said:

From my experience it saves only from some relatively minor bruises from hitting hard objects. But unfortunately It does not prevent bones from braking, muscles and ligaments from tearing. And this what usually happens when somebody hit you really hard. I use similar armor, but only to protect from falls in icy conditions.

I've got the opposite experience. Had some pretty hard hits with really no issues.  I am a little larger than average (195cm/111kg) so the conservation of momentum tends to favor me, YMMV.

At Turner every rider (and worker) on the mountain feels like family that doesn't need an explanation of the gear on your feet and knows what to expect on the runs, I.E. no collision worries.

49*North had the best grooming of the season yesterday with no crowds:biggthump🏂, but the camaraderie of like minded freaks was definitely missing:1luvu::freak3:

• Like 4

All Hail Mr. Redman!

Ours is a unique pursuit.  We are a freaky bunch.  It's difficult to learn anything about carving/alpine boarding.

Redman has really created something special.  In addition to organizing a stress free carving experience, he created a MCC  "family."  I had thought it a little trite to use "family" to describe the event.  After making it through the whole event (crash free this year )and having time to reflect, "family" is a perfect moniker for MCC.  

I really appreciate the sponsors and others who put in so much effort.  I'm sure I don't realize half the effort necessary.  Where else can we ride with such experienced carvers, demo equipment, and meet new friends?

I've already carved up with folks I met at MCC and I'm sure I will ride with more.  Plans are already in progress.

I can't wait until next year!

• Like 5

We’ll let’s see - Xavier is now in hardboots full time and shows no interest in going back to soft. I sometimes think I work for Donek because I’m telling every kid on the lift about the Talon 🙂  . Made some great friends.  I’m broke as sin because I bought your Thirst. Had a great Disco carving party with Xavier, Dave, John and Charlie. All is well in my little corner of Montana!

Edited by Ohob
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...