Note to New Members ×

Carving in the media. Post up stuff with carving .

John Gilmour

I used to hunt for carving photos in ski resort catalogue photos - seemed more mellow to see a snowboarder on the ground .

2/20/2020

I’m a local ? Just a  Manhattan/SoCal transplant Just living in a van down by the Gondola.- nice to be claimed as one.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/local/aspen-skiing-co-says-ikon-pass-use-is-up-local-pass-use-down-so-far-this-season-2/

Edited by John Gilmour
  • Like 3

Direct link to article with John’s picture:

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/local/aspen-skiing-co-says-ikon-pass-use-is-up-local-pass-use-down-so-far-this-season-2/

9 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Nice!!
is that a Jones Hovercraft?  Did you ever try it with plate/hardboot?

I think hardboots would be overkill on a Hovercraft. If memory serves it’s around a 7m sidecut and softer than my Flagship which is already soft by HB standards. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Nice!!
is that a Jones Hovercraft?  Did you ever try it with plate/hardboot?

ski-atd-022020-1-2048x1305.jpg

It’s a 2017-2018 156cm Jones Hovercraft which replaces my 2016-2017 model. The one I am on has a spoon nose. I never would consider going this short... the last pow board I rode was 168cm. But it has enough float for my 173-180 lbs. it works reasonably well in tight trees. And you can carve on it . Nose needs a ton of detune or it will catch. The bindings are some 2015- 2016 union force FC 1st gen - but with 3rd gen highbacks which as more compliant to the calf and taller. Boots 32 binary boa.... really like those boots flex- a bit stiff at first but perfect once broken in unlike so many boots which turn to mush after 2 weeks. 

you could run plates in this board and it would flex like a freecarver . But like Neil says , that’s overkill. The hovercraft has some chatter and soft boots help with that more than hard boots but in icy conditions Hardboots might help. Then you might ask yourself carving on a pow board is silly enough , but on ice? Get on your hardboots in an alpine deck and smoke everyone .

The  board doesn’t have much o-Tex on the ground and is easily out run by any 160 snowboard on flatter terrain - going up in size you get less edge hold , going down you get less turn imitation so the 156cm is the sweetheart of the Line- the Ultracraft doesn’t flex the way I want a board with carbon to flex.

Edited by John Gilmour
  • Thanks 1

I'm really enjoying the Flagship.  Last time I rode softies we were still stuffing old ski boot liners into Sorels, so it was nice to see how well the modern systems work.  I had it out in soft snow and bad visibility at Big White and found it much easier to handle those mixed conditions in the looser setup, but still had enough control/power over the board to arc it out on the groom.

• Like 1